Hunger problems

yjuosj

Nov 10, 2005
I eat two hours before I go out riding. I've stared riding again, after taking some time off. However, every time I go out, I feel very hungry. To a point where it feels like I have no energy left. What can I do?!

yjuosj said:
I eat two hours before I go out riding. I've stared riding again, after taking some time off. However, every time I go out, I feel very hungry. To a point where it feels like I have no energy left. What can I do?!
elaborate on what you're eating 2 hours before you ride; that is likely the culprit

So, what I eat before a ride affects whether I get hungry or not during a ride?

yjuosj said:
So, what I eat before a ride affects whether I get hungry or not during a ride?
Grasshopper, it has all to do with how you are effected out on a ride. You need complex carbs in sufficient quantity and fuel while you are out, if you are riding over an hour. Eating simple sugars will give you a “high” and then when your blood sugar crashes, you will become hungry. If you are eating nearly only protein then again you have used the wrong fuel for optimum aerobic performance, and you will have low energy, and then become hungry.

Make a trip to your local library or hell, buy it off Amazon and read Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition book, and you will not ride hungry again.

Until then when the bonk sacks you, resist the urge to trade your bike for a burrito.

HR

Hookyrider said:
Grasshopper, it has all to do with how you are effected out on a ride. You need complex carbs in sufficient quantity and fuel while you are out, if you are riding over an hour. Eating simple sugars will give you a “high” and then when your blood sugar crashes, you will become hungry. If you are eating nearly only protein then again you have used the wrong fuel for optimum aerobic performance, and you will have low energy, and then become hungry.

Make a trip to your local library or hell, buy it off Amazon and read Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition book, and you will not ride hungry again.

Until then when the bonk sacks you, resist the urge to trade your bike for a burrito.

HR
to take it one step further select high fiber complex carbs such as oatmeal, whole grains breads and pastas, beans and legumes, and fruit and veggies. Warm foods and foods with liquids tend to contribute greatly to satiety making oatmeal and bean-based soups excellent choices. FYI, any increase in fiber intake should be done slowly and with an increase in fluids else be prepared for a mid-ride pit stop.

JS

jrstevens said:
to take it one step further select high fiber complex carbs such as oatmeal, whole grains breads and pastas, beans and legumes, and fruit and veggies. Warm foods and foods with liquids tend to contribute greatly to satiety making oatmeal and bean-based soups excellent choices. FYI, any increase in fiber intake should be done slowly and with an increase in fluids else be prepared for a mid-ride pit stop.

JS
JS, you da' man - exactly right. Nancy couldn't have written it any straighter.

HR

Hookyrider said:
JS, you da' man - exactly right. Nancy couldn't have written it any straighter.

HR
Nancy and I are actually on a sports nutrition committee together and we share similar views. eggs and other protein rich foods are also high on the satiety scale just be careful about adding unnecessary fat.

JS

jrstevens said:
Nancy and I are actually on a sports nutrition committee together and we share similar views. eggs and other protein rich foods are also high on the satiety scale just be careful about adding unnecessary fat.

JS
That rocks - One of my friends wives is a Reg. Dietition and she got me reading/owning a few of her (Nancy's) books. Since then putting the concepts into practice has really been a huge help for me, as I am very sensitive to changes in my blood sugar. Also I just returned from my winter training camp, started at 181 pounds and 13.4% bf, and came back weighing 180 pounds at 10.0% bf. Never bonked, or even felt wacky once. I just ate right, and ate as much and when I was supposed to and the rest did what it was supposed to. Amazing how that works :)

Too much info out there that is garbage - wish I would have had the info say 20 years ago...

HR

Hookyrider said:
That rocks - One of my friends wives is a Reg. Dietition and she got me reading/owning a few of her (Nancy's) books. Since then putting the concepts into practice has really been a huge help for me, as I am very sensitive to changes in my blood sugar. Also I just returned from my winter training camp, started at 181 pounds and 13.4% bf, and came back weighing 180 pounds at 10.0% bf. Never bonked, or even felt wacky once. I just ate right, and ate as much and when I was supposed to and the rest did what it was supposed to. Amazing how that works :)

Too much info out there that is garbage - wish I would have had the info say 20 years ago...

HR
well said 20 years ago we had very little sports nutrition info of any kind now we have so much it's difficult to separate fact from fiction

jrstevens said:
well said 20 years ago we had very little sports nutrition info of any kind now we have so much it's difficult to separate fact from fiction
without question, so now folks are still faced with the same problems - kind of funny in a way. In America, and now in some of the western European countries, they are loosing touch with a healthy diet, and the need to move the body. We Americans though have cornered the world market on bad eating habits, so called "healthly" eating fads, and general lack of exercise.

But now if a person really wants to, they can find high quality truthful information that WILL make a difference in their performance. I'm sure there is still some room to grow yet, but I know that since reading her books, and the C. Carmichael food for fitness book - I have made leaps in performace, recovery, wieght management, and feel better overall... Okay this is starting to sound like a paid endorsement... you get the point:)

HR

Hookyrider said:
without question, so now folks are still faced with the same problems - kind of funny in a way. In America, and now in some of the western European countries, they are loosing touch with a healthy diet, and the need to move the body. We Americans though have cornered the world market on bad eating habits, so called "healthly" eating fads, and general lack of exercise.

But now if a person really wants to, they can find high quality truthful information that WILL make a difference in their performance. I'm sure there is still some room to grow yet, but I know that since reading her books, and the C. Carmichael food for fitness book - I have made leaps in performace, recovery, wieght management, and feel better overall... Okay this is starting to sound like a paid endorsement... you get the point:)

HR
Which book is better Charmichael's or Nancy's? which one do you guys recommend?

Here is a couple of options for you, I see the books as complementary and go a good ways of getting you all the way around the whole nutrition situation.

If you were to read only one, I'd lean towards Nancy Clark's , "Sports Nutrition" Guidebook. To be specific I believe the second edition is a better read than the newer third edition. There is just too much information here to ignore it.

Then if you wanted to fine tune what you have learned Chris Carmichael’s "Food for Fitness" would be a good follow-up. You will find the information in either book to be up-to-date, and medical/science/fact based.

If you aren’t much of a reader the Navy Seals Guide to Nutrition will at least get you there, but you really will not learn the “why”, so you might not understand the need to make certain changes, and therefore not make them….

HR