Hunger

ange

Guest
Hi all.

ive just started my training for a short course triathlon - competing
in feb - and although i have been a regular runner - 35 to 45 minutes 6
days a week, i have found something that is starting to worry me about
my new training regime.
I am hungry all the time.
Is this normal????

Please help. I don't know if I should be eating more than I was when I
was just running.

Ange from Aus

ange wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> ive just started my training for a short course triathlon - competing
> in feb - and although i have been a regular runner - 35 to 45 minutes 6
> days a week, i have found something that is starting to worry me about
> my new training regime.
> I am hungry all the time.
> Is this normal????
>
> Please help. I don't know if I should be eating more than I was when I
> was just running.
>
> Ange from Aus

Ya, hahaha

I notice that I change my eating habits from the fall to when I start
training again in late November.

When I am taking time off I want to eat fewer but larger meals.

When I train I like to eat small and frequent meals because I like the
feeling of an empty stomach during the training season. This means I can
get very hungry very quickly.

What helps for me is to realize that my body doesn't want fried foods,
and take in olive oil in my salads, cook with other really good oils,
eat raw nuts and avocado and other good fats, and this helps my hunger a
lot.

I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and I no longer feel hungry.

Before bed, I will also have some fruit or a vegetable and some raw nuts.

When I wake up, I drink water, have some fruit and some raw nuts.

I have had Christmas chocolates all week, and that is making my routine
a bit wonky. I am realizing though, that I really don't like chocolate
any more, except the really good organic chocolate.

If you are going to eat holiday sweet treats, make sure you have some
protein with it and then go for a run, bike or swim.

When I first started a running regiment, as soon as my weekly mileage
got up to ~5 miles total, my metabolism went "click", and I started
eating about one extra meal each day!

The real trick is making sure to eat -well-, even when I'm eating
-LOTS-! Keep the proteins & veggies up, to balance out any carbs and
sugars. Don't be afraid of fats -- you're probably burning them as
fast as you eat them!

I love how I feel when I'm active. The bigger appetite is just part of
that.
Happy swim/bike/running!

--Becky, who loves ice cream, especially after I've eaten all my
broccoli!