Hunter Allens training plans

RDL

Nov 17, 2007
I've been riding for a year and will try racing this coming season. I have a new polar cs600 w/power.
The club that I will ride with has a coach that uses the Joe Friel system of training(heart rate) but he does not work with power.
How much better is power for training? We are doing endurance rides only. Will doing some "sweet spot" training hurt me?
If I choose to get a Hunter Allen plan when should I end the winter plan and start another? Which one should I go to?(spring,summer,threshold improvement)
I will start racing in early April? My FTP is very low 207.
Thanks
Richard

RDL said:
... How much better is power for training?...
Much, especially if you move into shorter harder interval work where HR just doesn't respond in time. But even for the longer paced efforts like SST and Tempo power is a much more objective measure that doesn't drift upwards throughout the interval, doesn't take 5 to 7 minutes to reach steady state and doesn't vary widely with things like emotional state.
...Will doing some "sweet spot" training hurt me?...
No, SST and even some harder L4 work will not hurt you. In fact they will help you quite a bit in terms of building core aerobic fitness. Unless you've got a lot of training and recovery time at your disposal LSD miles are not a great way to go. Don't run out and start doing minute long, make ya puke, intervals but moving from LSD to SST is a good idea especially if your training time is limited.

Did you catch this quote posted on another thread?
Originally Posted by Joe Friel in Nov 07 eTips newsletter Over the years my approach to building aerobic fitness has changed. I used to believe that long, slow distance (LSD) was the most important type of training for aerobic system development. But in the last few years, experimentation with the athletes I coach has led me to believe this is not enough. By itself LSD will not fully develop the aerobic system. A bit higher intensity is needed. Rather than just noodling along at a relaxed, 1-zone effort, I believe that one must challenge the aerobic threshold in training to see complete aerobic development.

Even Friel seems to be coming around to the concept of higher end base training but a lot of folks that advocate Friel's methods are still basing that on his published book even though he's moved on from that philosophy.

I can't make specific plan recommendations and wouldn't try knowing nothing about where you're coming from, what your goals are, how serious you are, and how much time you have to train. A good power savvy coach like Ric or Alex could help you out with those questions if you let them know more about you.

Good luck,
Dave