Hurt Hand

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by NYC XYZ, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
    piano!

    Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau...It's the third bar here,
    http://www.music-scores.com/mouret/composer.php -- go to the one for
    the piano and click on "listen" to see the first page of the score. I
    have pain now on the back of the hand, like half-way down between the
    knuckles and the wrist where the middle and ring fingers have their
    tendons or whatever those strings are called.

    I was playing Mouret's Rondeau last night...and my right hand started
    feeling more and more uncomfortable than it's ever felt, almost (though
    not quite) an acute pain...so I stop. I was on a roll, but I'm getting
    stupid-stitious in my old age, ever since I caught a herniated vertebra
    and spraigned an ankle.

    But this morning, I couldn't play that section of the Rondeau at all!!!

    Even my wrist is involved!! Yes, the muscles are tight, but it's not a
    cramp, since as soon as I stop it's gone, no more pain or discomfort.

    I also do a lot of push-ups and (upright) bike-riding (will get a
    recumbent soon)...do you think that has something to do with all this??
    I also lift weights, etc.

    Is there some kind of first-aid handbook for hands??

    Tags:

  2. vickie b.

    vickie b. Guest

    If you find a first-aid handbook for hands, I'd like a copy too! I'm
    also a pianist! But I find that certain works and things can't be
    played without serious hurting. I simplifiy, ignore, etc when I must.
    But your hands to me sound like tendonitis. And that can be helped
    with a tens unit. I have one and need to start it again myself! Email
    me privately and let's keep in touch about pianist hands!

    Vickie B.
    (no traps on my email addy but I do report spammers)

  3. Dally

    Dally Guest

    Ice your hand, fool.

    Dally

  4. Locker

    Locker Guest

    On 26 Jan 2006 06:57:32 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
    >piano!

    Try "playing the penis" instead. It fits.

    >Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau..

    French suck.

  5. DZ

    DZ Guest

    NYC XYZ <[email protected]> wrote:
    > It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing
    > the piano!
    >
    > Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau...

    I always play this suite backwards, starting with the fourth movement,
    which is called "Gay".

  6. Locker

    Locker Guest

    On 26 Jan 2006 19:14:37 GMT, DZ
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I always play this suite backwards, starting with the fourth movement,
    >which is called "Gay".

    LOL Good one! Keep this up, and I may reconsider your application to
    The Troll Academy.

  7. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
    > piano!
    >I have pain now on the back of the hand, like half-way down between the
    > knuckles and the wrist where the middle and ring fingers have their
    > tendons or whatever those strings are called.
    > But this morning, I couldn't play that section of the Rondeau at all!!!
    >
    > Even my wrist is involved!! Yes, the muscles are tight, but it's not a
    > cramp, since as soon as I stop it's gone, no more pain or discomfort.
    >
    > Is there some kind of first-aid handbook for hands??

    If you are a musician, you should know by now about repetitive strain
    injuries such as tendonitis, tendosynovitis. Most people don't realize
    that musicians are like atheletes in that way. A few things you
    probably already do but I thought I'd mention:

    1. You need to make sure you are warming up properly, with specific
    exercises geared to the difficult passages you will be playing.

    2. Take breaks, especially if you are going over the same challenging
    part repetitively. Who doesn't have to do this?!

    3. Ice the part AFTER you are finished playing. The rule with ice is
    maximum 10 minutes on and at least 5 minutes off. If you have any
    numbness in your fingers, don't ice.

    4. Some NSAIDS help but you should limit their use to short periods.

    5. If it is persistent, go see your doctor. You could have nerve damage
    and you would want to know about that.

    6. Be thankful you aren't playing classical guitar which is generally
    accepted as at least two and a half times as difficult as piano. :)

    Stephen N.

  8. Locker Room

    Locker Room Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:42:57 GMT, Stephen <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Most people don't realize
    >that musicians are like atheletes

    Here we go again...

  9. Brandon Berg

    Brandon Berg Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
    > piano!
    >
    > Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau...It's the third bar here,
    > http://www.music-scores.com/mouret/composer.php -- go to the one for
    > the piano and click on "listen" to see the first page of the score. I
    > have pain now on the back of the hand, like half-way down between the
    > knuckles and the wrist where the middle and ring fingers have their
    > tendons or whatever those strings are called.

    Speaking of pianos screwing with your hands, I've always wondered what it is
    that I'm supposed to do with a chord spanning an interval greater than a
    9th. Do I just move one of the outer notes up or down an octave?

    --
    Brandon Berg
    Fix the obvious homonym substitution to reply.