Hurt Hand

NYC XYZ

Guest
It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
piano!

Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau...It's the third bar here,
http://www.music-scores.com/mouret/composer.php -- go to the one for
the piano and click on "listen" to see the first page of the score. I
have pain now on the back of the hand, like half-way down between the
knuckles and the wrist where the middle and ring fingers have their
tendons or whatever those strings are called.

I was playing Mouret's Rondeau last night...and my right hand started
feeling more and more uncomfortable than it's ever felt, almost (though
not quite) an acute pain...so I stop. I was on a roll, but I'm getting
stupid-stitious in my old age, ever since I caught a herniated vertebra
and spraigned an ankle.

But this morning, I couldn't play that section of the Rondeau at all!!!

Even my wrist is involved!! Yes, the muscles are tight, but it's not a
cramp, since as soon as I stop it's gone, no more pain or discomfort.

I also do a lot of push-ups and (upright) bike-riding (will get a
recumbent soon)...do you think that has something to do with all this??
I also lift weights, etc.

Is there some kind of first-aid handbook for hands??

If you find a first-aid handbook for hands, I'd like a copy too! I'm
also a pianist! But I find that certain works and things can't be
played without serious hurting. I simplifiy, ignore, etc when I must.
But your hands to me sound like tendonitis. And that can be helped
with a tens unit. I have one and need to start it again myself! Email
me privately and let's keep in touch about pianist hands!

Vickie B.
(no traps on my email addy but I do report spammers)

On 26 Jan 2006 06:57:32 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
>piano!

Try "playing the penis" instead. It fits.

>Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau..

French suck.

NYC XYZ <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing
> the piano!
>
> Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau...

I always play this suite backwards, starting with the fourth movement,
which is called "Gay".

On 26 Jan 2006 19:14:37 GMT, DZ
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I always play this suite backwards, starting with the fourth movement,
>which is called "Gay".

LOL Good one! Keep this up, and I may reconsider your application to
The Troll Academy.

NYC XYZ wrote:
> It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
> piano!
>I have pain now on the back of the hand, like half-way down between the
> knuckles and the wrist where the middle and ring fingers have their
> tendons or whatever those strings are called.
> But this morning, I couldn't play that section of the Rondeau at all!!!
>
> Even my wrist is involved!! Yes, the muscles are tight, but it's not a
> cramp, since as soon as I stop it's gone, no more pain or discomfort.
>
> Is there some kind of first-aid handbook for hands??

If you are a musician, you should know by now about repetitive strain
injuries such as tendonitis, tendosynovitis. Most people don't realize
that musicians are like atheletes in that way. A few things you
probably already do but I thought I'd mention:

1. You need to make sure you are warming up properly, with specific
exercises geared to the difficult passages you will be playing.

2. Take breaks, especially if you are going over the same challenging
part repetitively. Who doesn't have to do this?!

3. Ice the part AFTER you are finished playing. The rule with ice is
maximum 10 minutes on and at least 5 minutes off. If you have any
numbness in your fingers, don't ice.

4. Some NSAIDS help but you should limit their use to short periods.

5. If it is persistent, go see your doctor. You could have nerve damage
and you would want to know about that.

6. Be thankful you aren't playing classical guitar which is generally
accepted as at least two and a half times as difficult as piano. :)

Stephen N.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:42:57 GMT, Stephen <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Most people don't realize
>that musicians are like atheletes

Here we go again...

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It's finally happened...my right hand's all messed up from playing the
> piano!
>
> Specifically, from Mouret's Rondeau...It's the third bar here,
> http://www.music-scores.com/mouret/composer.php -- go to the one for
> the piano and click on "listen" to see the first page of the score. I
> have pain now on the back of the hand, like half-way down between the
> knuckles and the wrist where the middle and ring fingers have their
> tendons or whatever those strings are called.

Speaking of pianos screwing with your hands, I've always wondered what it is
that I'm supposed to do with a chord spanning an interval greater than a
9th. Do I just move one of the outer notes up or down an octave?

--
Brandon Berg
Fix the obvious homonym substitution to reply.