Hurting myself?

"I have just gotten older doing hills."

You and me both! I haven't put on weight so why am I getting slower?!

"The downhill sections are still easy,"

From where I'm sitting, it's ALL downhill from here!

Uwe Ampler,
Uwe Ampler,
Uwe Ampler,
Uwe Ampler,
Uwe Ampler,
Uwe Ampler,
Uwe Ampler,

Repeat until the pain stops...or is at least bearable again.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

I think this is the best advice to follow.

It is dispiriting when you see other cyclists on the same climb spinning a relative higher/bigger gear than you are - and appearing to do so with little or no effort and progressing up that climb relatively more quickly.
My own advice would be to ignore what others are doing and concentrate upon your own effort while doing so.

When I raced climbing was my weak point. I was/am too big to match the out and out climbers. I had to work hard to try to minimise their ability to gain time in me when climbing.
To that end I used to make a point of training with the climbers in my club. In trying to stay with them, I found that my climbing improved gradually as I trained more and more with them.
Without doubt training to improve ones weak point is the toughest training of all. It really is down to perseverance and hard work to ensure improvement. But improve you will!
This I am doing. The training with other pure climbers in my club that is. I actually started that after I started this thread. But yea that past 100mi ride taught me to say screw what the others are doing Ill do it the best way I can. Guess what, I passed people on TT bikes in full TT form with their arms on the rests. Then i got the boost I needed. I found out i may not be as strong as a climber as they are. But damnit I have a lot more in the reserve thank and can take them out like that. hell it was great that they started to draft me and then could not keep up while I was on the hoods. That boosted my confidence. guess 80 miles are their limit.

Quote:Originally Posted by Dave Pace .This I am doing. The training with other pure climbers in my club that is. I actually started that after I started this thread. But yea that past 100mi ride taught me to say screw what the others are doing Ill do it the best way I can. Guess what, I passed people on TT bikes in full TT form with their arms on the rests. Then i got the boost I needed. I found out i may not be as strong as a climber as they are. But damnit I have a lot more in the reserve thank and can take them out like that. hell it was great that they started to draft me and then could not keep up while I was on the hoods. That boosted my confidence. guess 80 miles are their limit. 

Good for you, Dave. Seeing an improvement can take time. The difficult part more often than not is that people can train but they can't see any improvement or improvement takes too long. Perseverance and dedication!