Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance experience?

Hi All,

Anyone here used the Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tire? I'm
particularly interested in the 700x25. Is it really 25mm? Puncture
resistance?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone here used the Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tire? I'm
> particularly interested in the 700x25. Is it really 25mm? Puncture
> resistance?
>
> Joseph

regarding puncture resistance, i've used hutchinson carbon comp and
excel tires extensively and have never had a flat on any of them,
including 5 years of wet winter commutes on the excels. they're not
terribly "fast", but they'll get you there on schedule. can't say i
give any thought to width.

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone here used the Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tire? I'm
>> particularly interested in the 700x25. Is it really 25mm? Puncture
>> resistance?
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> regarding puncture resistance, i've used hutchinson carbon comp and
> excel tires extensively and have never had a flat on any of them,
> including 5 years of wet winter commutes on the excels. they're not
> terribly "fast", but they'll get you there on schedule. can't say i
> give any thought to width.

As jim and I have discussed in the past, the Excels are flatproof (yes, I
said flatproof), due to the deeply triangular tread profile and probably
some steel wire interwoven with the nylon. ; )

The ride is very harsh with the Excels. My 23mm's seemed to be true 23s.

--
Phil

I use the Long Distance exclusively now and am very pleased with the
flat resistance. Remarkably they are not that heavy either. I just
ordered two more at Pricepoint at a super price. Unless something better
comes along I'll be riding them this year.

On Feb 1, 12:41 pm, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
> I use the Long Distance exclusively now and am very pleased with the
> flat resistance. Remarkably they are not that heavy either. I just
> ordered two more at Pricepoint at a super price. Unless something better
> comes along I'll be riding them this year.

Have you tried the 25's? What sort of surfaces do you ride on?

Joseph

No, only the 23s for the past two years. Ordinary highway shoulders or
Farm to Market road surfaces. We have some bad shoulders in our area of
Texas so I wanted a tire that will hold up well. Some altitude riding in
Northern New Mexico. I always felt confident on my Fusion LDs. Even of
fast descents. The tires have reviewed well online, too. That's why I
tried them. 235 grams.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 1, 12:41 pm, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I use the Long Distance exclusively now and am very pleased with the
>>flat resistance. Remarkably they are not that heavy either. I just
>>ordered two more at Pricepoint at a super price. Unless something better
>>comes along I'll be riding them this year.

> Have you tried the 25's? What sort of surfaces do you ride on?
>
> Joseph

On Feb 1, 5:00 am, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Hi All,

> >> Anyone here used the Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tire? I'm
> >> particularly interested in the 700x25. Is it really 25mm? Puncture
> >> resistance?

> >> Joseph

> > regarding puncture resistance, i've used hutchinson carbon comp and
> > excel tires extensively and have never had a flat on any of them,
> > including 5 years of wet winter commutes on the excels. they're not
> > terribly "fast", but they'll get you there on schedule. can't say i
> > give any thought to width.

> As jim and I have discussed in the past, the Excels are flatproof (yes, I
> said flatproof), due to the deeply triangular tread profile and probably
> some steel wire interwoven with the nylon. ; )
>
> The ride is very harsh with the Excels. My 23mm's seemed to be true 23s.
>
> --
> Phil

They don't seem to make the Excel anymore. Is that the same as the
Quartz, or the Flash?

http://www.hutchinsontires.com/uk/velo/accueil.php

??

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:00 am, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> regarding puncture resistance, i've used hutchinson carbon comp and
>>> excel tires extensively and have never had a flat on any of them,
>>> including 5 years of wet winter commutes on the excels. they're not
>>> terribly "fast", but they'll get you there on schedule. can't say i
>>> give any thought to width.

>> As jim and I have discussed in the past, the Excels are flatproof
>> (yes, I said flatproof), due to the deeply triangular tread profile
>> and probably some steel wire interwoven with the nylon. ; )
>>
>> The ride is very harsh with the Excels. My 23mm's seemed to be true
>> 23s.
>>
>> --
>> Phil

> They don't seem to make the Excel anymore. Is that the same as the
> Quartz, or the Flash?
>
> http://www.hutchinsontires.com/uk/velo/accueil.php
>
> ??
>
> Joseph

Looks most like the Quarts, but not an identical match. Tread pattern's a
little different.

BTW, the colored tread on my set of Excels were like riding on ice.
Cornering was taken very gingerly. Once they got kinda old (~1 year) the
silica **** got really hard and started delaminating from the carbon black
tread. Not good.

--
Phil