Hutchinson Python Airlites

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Phil Lee, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Phil Lee

    Phil Lee Guest

    Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
    the bead when you put it at 80.

    My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that Airlites
    are to be run at 40 max regardless of the sidewall

    Why the shit would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
    Especially by a 100% margin???

    Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when it happened.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    > Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
    > the bead when you put it at 80.
    >
    > My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
    > Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the sidewall
    >
    > Why the shit would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
    > Especially by a 100% margin???
    >
    > Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when it happened.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Are you talking about the bead slipping on the rim or the bead actually tearing?
    --
    _________________________

  3. Bruce Pech

    Bruce Pech Guest

    "Phil Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
    > the bead when you put it at 80.
    >
    > My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
    > Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the
    sidewall

    > Why the shit would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
    > Especially by a 100% margin???
    >
    > Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when
    it
    > happened.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    FWIW, I routinely inflate my Python Airlights to 50-55psi for riding paved roads up the local
    canyons on the way to the dirt. No problems with two pairs (so far).

    Bruce Pech Boulder, CO

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Phil Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
    > the bead when you put it at 80.
    >
    > My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
    > Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the
    sidewall

    > Why the shit would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
    > Especially by a 100% margin???
    >
    > Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when
    it
    > happened.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    I haven't inflated them that high before so I've never had that problem. Why did you have them that
    high? I have had problems with the sidewalls tearing or ripping. But not from over-inflation, more
    than likely it's been from damage. The airlights are a lightweight construction that can't take
    much abuse.
    --
    Westie

  5. Tsheer

    Tsheer Guest

    "Phil Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
    > the bead when you put it at 80.
    >
    > My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
    > Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the
    sidewall

    > Why the shit would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
    > Especially by a 100% margin???
    >
    > Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when
    it
    > happened.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    I've ridden them 3 to 4 days a week for several years at 55psi, and I've worn out a bunch of them,
    but never had them fail in other ways.