Hutchinson Python Airlites

Phil Lee

Guest
Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
the bead when you put it at 80.

My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that Airlites
are to be run at 40 max regardless of the sidewall

Why the **** would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
Especially by a 100% margin???

Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when it happened.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
> the bead when you put it at 80.
>
> My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
> Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the sidewall
>
> Why the **** would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
> Especially by a 100% margin???
>
> Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when it happened.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Are you talking about the bead slipping on the rim or the bead actually tearing?
--
_________________________

"Phil Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
> the bead when you put it at 80.
>
> My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
> Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the
sidewall

> Why the **** would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
> Especially by a 100% margin???
>
> Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when
it
> happened.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

FWIW, I routinely inflate my Python Airlights to 50-55psi for riding paved roads up the local
canyons on the way to the dirt. No problems with two pairs (so far).

Bruce Pech Boulder, CO

"Phil Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
> the bead when you put it at 80.
>
> My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
> Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the
sidewall

> Why the **** would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
> Especially by a 100% margin???
>
> Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when
it
> happened.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I haven't inflated them that high before so I've never had that problem. Why did you have them that
high? I have had problems with the sidewalls tearing or ripping. But not from over-inflation, more
than likely it's been from damage. The airlights are a lightweight construction that can't take
much abuse.
--
Westie

"Phil Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yeah. It's listed as having a 35psi recommended pressure and a 80psi max. The tire separates from
> the bead when you put it at 80.
>
> My LBS warranted it, but only after I called Giant personally. Giant then informed me that
> Airlites are to be run at 40 max regardless of the
sidewall

> Why the **** would Hutchinson make a tire then ream itself a new one by putting wrong info on?
> Especially by a 100% margin???
>
> Anyone else ever had a bead blow up on them? I wasn't near the bike when
it
> happened.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I've ridden them 3 to 4 days a week for several years at 55psi, and I've worn out a bunch of them,
but never had them fail in other ways.