Hutchinson tire question...

organicathlete

May 7, 2007
About two weeks ago I put on new tires (Hutchinson Fusion). I was about 10 minutes into a race this past Sunday and got a flat from a tear in the sidewall (not too happy about THAT one). Today I threw a dollar in the tire and went for a ride, since I didn't like the idea of throwing out a two week old tire. When I got back I looked and noticed a NEW tear a few inches from the other tear.
This all leads me to ask:
- Riding Conti's for the past few seasons, I'm curious what others think about Hutchinsons, in particular the Fusions.
- How do tears in the sidewall occur?
- Do tires dry out and become more prone to tearing? What is the ideal shelf-life of a tire?
- If I throw out the front tire, should I keep it's counterpart and hope that the same thing doesn't happen to the rear tire?
Thanks in advance for your responses/suggestions.

I think you have a defective one. I have several hundred miles on a pair of Fusions with no problems. They are urban miles, too with several cuts into the thread and only one rear flat from a small piece of wire that I picked up in downtown Seattle--no problems since popping in a new tube.

Bro Deal said:
I have never heard anything good about Hutchinson road tires.
I have a pair of Fusions that I've been using now for about 800 miles with no problems at all. I think you have a defective tire.

I also hadn't heard anything good about them before I bought them, but a friend gave me this pair, and I've actually really liked them. This is only my second set of tires though, so I don't have much to compare.

I just replaced my rear tire (Which was a Huchinson Fusion) after close to 2 full seasons of riding. It was squared, with several cut and tears from heavy road (not quite urban, but not quite rural ;) ) riding ... I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Fusions are all I've used for the past three years. I love them. I have had some cuts, but they generally wear well and they offer an excellent blance between grip and low-rolling resistance. Easily my favorite tire I've ever used.

organicathlete said:
About two weeks ago I put on new tires (Hutchinson Fusion). I was about 10 minutes into a race this past Sunday and got a flat from a tear in the sidewall (not too happy about THAT one). Today I threw a dollar in the tire and went for a ride, since I didn't like the idea of throwing out a two week old tire. When I got back I looked and noticed a NEW tear a few inches from the other tear.
This all leads me to ask:
- Riding Conti's for the past few seasons, I'm curious what others think about Hutchinsons, in particular the Fusions.
- How do tears in the sidewall occur?
- Do tires dry out and become more prone to tearing? What is the ideal shelf-life of a tire?
- If I throw out the front tire, should I keep it's counterpart and hope that the same thing doesn't happen to the rear tire?
Thanks in advance for your responses/suggestions.

The Fusion came with my Six Thirteen. Worst tire I ever owed. It wore out with less than 3,000 miles. I like the Michelin Pro-2 Race Tire. Fast and responsive and much better wear characteristics.

vascdoc said:
The Fusion came with my Six Thirteen. Worst tire I ever owed. It wore out with less than 3,000 miles. I like the Michelin Pro-2 Race Tire. Fast and responsive and much better wear characteristics.
How many miles would you get out of the michelin ?

vascdoc said:
I would think that 3K miles, you're getting your money's worth. Handling is a dfferent story though.

Sidewall tears and cuts happen from hitting sharp rocks or junk. If you've ever had a rock shoot sideways from your tire, that's a potential sidewall cut.

Have read that to achieve low RR and a good ride, a race tire needs a thin sidewall. The ones I've used, ProRace and Conti 3000 and 4000, have been prone to sidewall damage. IME, running the tires at 100-105 psi makes them more resistant to cuts and tears than using the max rated pressure.

Not all tears require replacement though; I've had small tears which just lifted a few mm of the outer layer: they didn't cause any problems. But have also rotated tires from the front to the back because of concern about the safety, and thrown out a tire when the sidewall damage looked too much to risk.

chainstretched said:
How many miles would you get out of the michelin ?
I ride over 3,000 miles during the summer. The Michelin from last year are still holding out well. I rode with Pro Race 1 for a couple years and I am on my second year with the Pro Race 2. My wife rides Pro Race 2 as well. We have never had a flat ever. I have gotten overly confident and sometimes ride without a spare tube. I have no complaints with the Pro Race 2. 30 years ago I use to ride with sew-ups. The Pro Race 2 is the closest clincher to sew-ups I have tried. Of course there are many tires out there that I have never tried.

Camilo said:
I would think that 3K miles, you're getting your money's worth. Handling is a dfferent story though.
I like the handling better with the Pro Race 2. With over 3 thousand miles on the current set, handling is just fine. Of course most of the wear is on the rear tire. The front tire shows very little wear and thus would provide handling like new.

By the way, the Hutchinson Fusion at the end of the season two yeas ago, I had ridden down to the casing. Similar mileage last year and the Pro Race 2 is still looking ok. I had a tune up at my LBS and they told me that they also agreed that there was life still in my current tires.

dhk2 said:
But have also rotated tires from the front to the back because of concern about the safety, and thrown out a tire when the sidewall damage looked too much to risk.

Actually I thought that there was far more danger with moving the rear tire to the front. If the rear tire has significant wear it tends to flatten and thus would loose its best handling characteristic. I would rather buy more tires than take a chance on poor handling properties.

vascdoc said:
Actually I thought that there was far more danger with moving the rear tire to the front. If the rear tire has significant wear it tends to flatten and thus would loose its best handling characteristic. I would rather buy more tires than take a chance on poor handling properties.
The reason you don't move the rear to the front for fear of crashing. The rear wears a lot faster than the front, so you would be putting a tire with a lot less rubber on the front. This makes the front tire more susceptible to punctures. Your steering and most of your braking relies on the front wheel. If you get a sudden, complete flat while descending then you are farked.

I had a pair of Hutchinson Fusions on my road bike last year. Got 1800 miles on them before they were too chock full of tiny rips, tears, & exposed threads to continue using. Replaced the Hutchinsons with Conti Attack/Force; got 3000 miles on them before they needed replacing.

Guess which ones I replaced them with?

Bro Deal said:
The reason you don't move the rear to the front for fear of crashing. The rear wears a lot faster than the front, so you would be putting a tire with a lot less rubber on the front. This makes the front tire more susceptible to punctures. Your steering and most of your braking relies on the front wheel. If you get a sudden, complete flat while descending then you are farked.
No question that one should fear a front tire blow out. However, I would think that no matter if the tire is in the front or back that if it is that worn, one would replace it.

vascdoc said:
No question that one should fear a front tire blow out. However, I would think that no matter if the tire is in the front or back that if it is that worn, one would replace it.
The issue comes about because front tires wear at one half to one third the rate of rear tires. So when your rear wears out you have a number of options.

1) You can replace both, which the safest but most expensive option.
2) You can just replace the rear, which leaves a partially worn front tire.
3) You can move the front to the rear and replace the front.

I like option 3.

Bro Deal said:
The issue comes about because front tires wear at one half to one third the rate of rear tires. So when your rear wears out you have a number of options.

1) You can replace both, which the safest but most expensive option.
2) You can just replace the rear, which leaves a partially worn front tire.
3) You can move the front to the rear and replace the front.

I like option 3.
I agree. Always keep the fresh rubber up front. You can usually stay upright if you get a rear blow-out. Not always the case with the front.

Another vote for option #3. I've done option 2 in the past, replacing the front tire after two rear tires. The drawback I've found to leaving the front on for 5-6K miles is that it always seems to accumulate some minor sidewall damage. I just feel safer moving it to the rear and keeping the front as new as possible.