Hutchinson tires vs Continental Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Biker Dom, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Biker Dom

    Biker Dom Guest

    How does the Hutchinson Carbon comp road tire compare to Conti GP's in
    terms of wear and performance? I am a 150 lb rider and not a racer,
    but do like to take 50-60 mile rides every week. I have been riding
    the Conti's and been satisfied with them, but Performance is having a
    sale on the Hutchinson's right now.

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    The Continentals might grip a bit better, but are a bit softer (hence the
    grippiness) and wear a bit faster. I have started to love my Hutch Carbon
    Comps. (A friend, about the same build, and who's not as hard a rider as me
    goes thru a pair of 3000's in about 1500 miles, and I'm approaching 2500 on
    my Hutch's with only a slight flat spot on the rear starting to develop)
    BTW, I'm 180lb, long distance road racer who at times is found to do crits
    and the odd triathlon or two (time trialing) I find the Hutch's to be great
    all around tires, that perform well in the fast corners too, and are very
    nice on those long rides as well.

    Dave

    "Biker Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How does the Hutchinson Carbon comp road tire compare to Conti GP's in
    > terms of wear and performance? I am a 150 lb rider and not a racer,
    > but do like to take 50-60 mile rides every week. I have been riding
    > the Conti's and been satisfied with them, but Performance is having a
    > sale on the Hutchinson's right now.

  3. Biker Dom

    Biker Dom Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Continentals might grip a bit better, but are a bit softer (hence the
    > grippiness) and wear a bit faster. I have started to love my Hutch Carbon
    > Comps. (A friend, about the same build, and who's not as hard a rider as me
    > goes thru a pair of 3000's in about 1500 miles, and I'm approaching 2500 on
    > my Hutch's with only a slight flat spot on the rear starting to develop)
    > BTW, I'm 180lb, long distance road racer who at times is found to do crits
    > and the odd triathlon or two (time trialing) I find the Hutch's to be great
    > all around tires, that perform well in the fast corners too, and are very
    > nice on those long rides as well.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Biker Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > How does the Hutchinson Carbon comp road tire compare to Conti GP's in
    > > terms of wear and performance? I am a 150 lb rider and not a racer,
    > > but do like to take 50-60 mile rides every week. I have been riding
    > > the Conti's and been satisfied with them, but Performance is having a
    > > sale on the Hutchinson's right now.

    Thanks, any idea how they compare in road feel, or rolling resistance?

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    The feel is very nice. I do a lot of long distance, and they are more
    comfortable than others I've ridden (Vittoria, Michelin Axials). As for
    rolling resistance, all I can say is that they feel fast, I keep em at
    140psi, and fast cornering is not a problem. Not sure how I would really
    relate "rolling resistance". I both myself 6 new ones on that sale at
    Performance a couple of weeks ago.

    Dave

    "Biker Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<QopDc.5235$pr2[email protected]>...
    > > The Continentals might grip a bit better, but are a bit softer (hence

    the
    > > grippiness) and wear a bit faster. I have started to love my Hutch

    Carbon
    > > Comps. (A friend, about the same build, and who's not as hard a rider as

    me
    > > goes thru a pair of 3000's in about 1500 miles, and I'm approaching 2500

    on
    > > my Hutch's with only a slight flat spot on the rear starting to develop)
    > > BTW, I'm 180lb, long distance road racer who at times is found to do

    crits
    > > and the odd triathlon or two (time trialing) I find the Hutch's to be

    great
    > > all around tires, that perform well in the fast corners too, and are

    very
    > > nice on those long rides as well.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Biker Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > How does the Hutchinson Carbon comp road tire compare to Conti GP's in
    > > > terms of wear and performance? I am a 150 lb rider and not a racer,
    > > > but do like to take 50-60 mile rides every week. I have been riding
    > > > the Conti's and been satisfied with them, but Performance is having a
    > > > sale on the Hutchinson's right now.

    > Thanks, any idea how they compare in road feel, or rolling resistance?

  5. Biker Dom

    Biker Dom Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The feel is very nice. I do a lot of long distance, and they are more
    > comfortable than others I've ridden (Vittoria, Michelin Axials). As for
    > rolling resistance, all I can say is that they feel fast, I keep em at
    > 140psi, and fast cornering is not a problem. Not sure how I would really
    > relate "rolling resistance". I both myself 6 new ones on that sale at
    > Performance a couple of weeks ago.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Biker Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > The Continentals might grip a bit better, but are a bit softer (hence

    > the
    > > > grippiness) and wear a bit faster. I have started to love my Hutch

    > Carbon
    > > > Comps. (A friend, about the same build, and who's not as hard a rider as

    > me
    > > > goes thru a pair of 3000's in about 1500 miles, and I'm approaching 2500

    > on
    > > > my Hutch's with only a slight flat spot on the rear starting to develop)
    > > > BTW, I'm 180lb, long distance road racer who at times is found to do

    > crits
    > > > and the odd triathlon or two (time trialing) I find the Hutch's to be

    > great
    > > > all around tires, that perform well in the fast corners too, and are

    > very
    > > > nice on those long rides as well.
    > > >
    > > > Dave
    > > >
    > > > "Biker Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > > Thanks, any idea how they compare in road feel, or rolling resistance?

    The sale is starting here(So. Cal.) on June 30. they are on sale for 24.95

  6. Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Continentals might grip a bit better, but are a bit softer (hence the
    > grippiness) and wear a bit faster.

    The original Continental Grand Prix lasts longer than most road tyres
    out there. The Grand Prix 3000 supposedly does not. I know a rider who's
    about 180 lbs and has ridden a pair of Grand Prix's for about 14.000
    kilometres by swapping them regularly, and judging by the looks they're
    not finished yet.

    -as

  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:37:08 -0400, "Dave"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >grippiness) and wear a bit faster. I have started to love my Hutch Carbon
    >Comps. (A friend, about the same build, and who's not as hard a rider as me
    >goes thru a pair of 3000's in about 1500 miles, and I'm approaching 2500 on
    >my Hutch's with only a slight flat spot on the rear starting to develop)

    Wow. I got 600 miles out of my Carbon Comp rear, swapped the front
    to it, got a couple hundred more before a moderate cut. They have
    loads of little cuts on them. I intend to repair the moderate cut,
    but the first rear has so many such cuts (and a flat spot with tread
    worn through) that I don't think I can repair it.

    >BTW, I'm 180lb, long distance road racer who at times is found to do crits
    >and the odd triathlon or two (time trialing) I find the Hutch's to be great
    >all around tires, that perform well in the fast corners too, and are very
    >nice on those long rides as well.

    I'm 210 pounds, and ride between 20 and 60 miles on most of my
    rides. No racing. I descend very fast and climb very slow. I corner
    with whatever speed I can bring into the turn -- usually not much;
    there's not many downhill curves here.

    >The feel is very nice. I do a lot of long distance, and they are more
    >comfortable than others I've ridden (Vittoria, Michelin Axials). As for

    I love how they feel and handle, which is why I use them.

    >rolling resistance, all I can say is that they feel fast, I keep em at
    >140psi, and fast cornering is not a problem. Not sure how I would really

    140 psi? Which model of CC do you have? I've been using the
    all-black CC with some blue on the logo. I've got some of the now
    more common ones with the red-striped surface, which I expect to try
    soon.

    >relate "rolling resistance". I both myself 6 new ones on that sale at
    >Performance a couple of weeks ago.

    The black ones are extremely thin and supple, so should have great
    RR. The red-striped ones are a little less thin/supple, but still
    much better than many other tires. If you can get them up to 140
    psi, then that will be a big RR gain. I'm afraid to overinflate such
    expensive tires, for fear of damaging them.
    --
    Rick Onanian