Hutchinson tubelss on cyclingnews

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>> I always await tubless mentions, and viola!
>>>
>>> Bill "sic, sic" S.

>> I prefer the violin myself.

> Does it make "whoosh" sounds, Skwidster? <eg>

Sorry, slow morning over here today, hehe. ;)

--
Phil

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

>>> I don't think the marketing-types had much input into the final form of
>>> the F-16. I think that is what Peter objects to: the undue influence of
>>> marketeers in today's cycling products and the reams of specious BS
>>> that are a byproduct of that.
>>>

>> you have a good point [although you might be surprised about the sales
>> efforts behind /any/ plane]. but how much experience and knowhow does
>> it take to filter that? marketing is a fact of life. deal with it.
>> ask questions. the only kicker is when the sales droids outright lie,
>> but even then, if you know what you're about, you can filter that too.
>> the sales droid for my car was a lying asshole, but the car's great!

> My point. After 2 decades of it, I'm tired of it. Tired of 'justifying'
> my position when the 'droid' down the street tells somebody how amazing
> that piece of carbon on the rear of that aluminum frame is.

you need a good long sabbatical! come back refreshed.

you're not in competition with the droids peter - the service you offer
is 180 to them. that's your strength - play to it.

>> If you want to know more about military plane marketing than you ever
>> need
>> to know, and see some cool ads from companies *marketing* various types
>> of
>> countermeasures, check out this link-
>> http://www.armada.ch/03-3/complete_03-3.pdf. It's interesting stuff.
>> Reading
>> the ads you might think it's BUYCycling for the military.

> But most of that stuff works.

I'd hate to be around when it doesn't...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

jim beam wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:

> >> you have a good point [although you might be surprised about the sales
> >> efforts behind /any/ plane]. but how much experience and knowhow does
> >> it take to filter that? marketing is a fact of life. deal with it.
> >> ask questions. the only kicker is when the sales droids outright lie,
> >> but even then, if you know what you're about, you can filter that too.
> >> the sales droid for my car was a lying asshole, but the car's great!

> > My point. After 2 decades of it, I'm tired of it. Tired of 'justifying'
> > my position when the 'droid' down the street tells somebody how amazing
> > that piece of carbon on the rear of that aluminum frame is.
> >

> you need a good long sabbatical! come back refreshed.
>
> you're not in competition with the droids peter - the service you offer
> is 180 to them. that's your strength - play to it.

I know, why I like JBs gig...I love to wrench, how this thread started,
we do great just tired of 'but I can get 7 spoke wonderwheel on the
internet and the guy 1/2 a block away said it meant I could get to Ward
and get laid on the same day...and did I mention my roses will bloom?',
type ****.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> ... and the guy 1/2 a block away said it meant I could
> get to Ward and get laid on the same day...

Butyl or latex?

In article
<[email protected]>
,
"Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > > Geezzz, another 24 inches of snow yesterday, and over 100 responses to
> > > my 'OMG, another $1000 wheelset that does what?' thread....BUT
> > >
> > > The test sings the praises of these, so I, once more, remind myself
> > > that I really love to wrench, ya know, work on bicycles, build wheels
> > > but I really don't like to 'sell'. Ya know, look somebody right in the
> > > eye and either 'make a promise' about some gadget or another, or tell
> > > him why the person down the streeet shouldn't have.
> > >
> > > I really liked the gig of JB, when he was at Excel, after leaving 'High
> > > Wheeler'..he sat behind the 'titanium curtain' and just did the
> > > wrenching, the building. Didn't have to 'take a stand' on anything,
> > > sell anything..great job.
> > >

> > but you've been in a position where you've had to trust the engineers
> > that built your planes didn't you? [presumably you didn't design and
> > build yourself.] what's changed?

> I don't think the marketing-types had much input into the final form of
> the F-16. I think that is what Peter objects to: the undue influence of
> marketeers in today's cycling products and the reams of specious BS
> that are a byproduct of that.

We need a return to good old genuine BS, the kind
Grampaw used to fork out.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
> > Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> > > I don't think the marketing-types had much input into the final form of
> > > the F-16. I think that is what Peter objects to: the undue influence of
> > > marketeers in today's cycling products and the reams of specious BS
> > > that are a byproduct of that.
> > >

> > you have a good point [although you might be surprised about the sales
> > efforts behind /any/ plane].

> Oh, no doubt about the effort the airplane makers make selling the
> plane to the DoD. But I doubt the marketeers influence the design much
> at all.
>

> > but how much experience and knowhow does
> > it take to filter that? marketing is a fact of life. deal with it.
> > ask questions. the only kicker is when the sales droids outright lie,
> > but even then, if you know what you're about, you can filter that too.

> Not to put words in Peter's mouth, but I think he might be tired of
> dealing with people who walk into his shop drunk on the latest issue of
> BuyCycling, Cyclingnews, etc. I know I am at times.
>
> > the sales droid for my car was a lying asshole, but the car's great!

> Car Sales droids: perennial candidates for Lying Asshole of the Year
> awards.

I bought a new car a few years ago. The car sells
itself. The saleswoman made a half-hearted attempt to
sell me options and frippery. She wrote a price sheet,
I agreed to it, she said she would take it to the sales
manager. I said, with a smile, "If he does not accept
it, I'm lowering my offer."

--
Michael Press