Hybrid-£250-500

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stewart Devereux, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Just spent the day looking at hybrid bikes in this range, Trek, Dawes, Etc
    also been into halfords and seen their limited range of hybrids. looking to
    purchasr myself and wife a bike, mainly for road use but the occassional
    track use.One factor will aso be the ability to pack it and transport it on
    the aircraft. Don't mind last years models, and would hope to get something
    thrown in for buying 2. Anybody like to help me with their best buy in this
    range, and anybody recommend a suitable web site ?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    --
    Regards,
    Stu Devereux.

    Tags:

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Stewart Devereux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Just spent the day looking at hybrid bikes in this range, Trek, Dawes, Etc
    > also been into halfords and seen their limited range of hybrids. looking

    > purchasr myself and wife a bike, mainly for road use but the occassional
    > track use.One factor will aso be the ability to pack it and transport it

    on
    > the aircraft. Don't mind last years models, and would hope to get

    something
    > thrown in for buying 2. Anybody like to help me with their best buy in

    this
    > range, and anybody recommend a suitable web site ?
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Stu Devereux.
    > Fax no. 08701339568
    > (Outside UK fax 448701339568)
    > E-mail. [email protected]

    Stewart

    All of the bikes you mention are good value (although my personal choice
    would be to avoid Halfords unless there's a star bargain) and there are some
    deals knocking about at this time of year as dealers attempt to offload
    their '04 stock. I used to have a Dawes Discovery 301 and that was a great
    bike - I miss it to be honest. A friend of mine has a Marin hybrid and
    loves it - so it all depends on what you like best and feel most comfortable
    on. A search of this group may serve you well as I recall many discussions
    about hybrids generating some great debate and good recommendations.

    Good luck.

    Paul

  3. On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:12:32 +0000 (UTC), "Stewart Devereux"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Just spent the day looking at hybrid bikes in this range, Trek, Dawes, Etc
    >also been into halfords and seen their limited range of hybrids. looking to
    >purchasr myself and wife a bike, mainly for road use but the occassional
    >track use.One factor will aso be the ability to pack it and transport it on
    >the aircraft.

    Ah, that last is an interesting point. All you need to do is triple
    your budget and you could go for the Airnimal or a Bike Friday (which
    are superb, BTW).

    How much air travel do you have in mind? I guess occasional air
    portability is a non-issue, as people take full size bikes on planes
    all the time, in which case I'd offer the standard URC advice go for
    whichever of the bikes you listed your local
    bike-shop-which-is-not-Halfords has the best deal on, all other things
    being equal. Which, of course they never are, and the thing which is
    least equal is: which one you actually like riding.

    Trek, Dawes and Etc. all make very good bikes at that price. Assuming
    that Etc. is Giant ;-) I have never yet been disappointed with a
    Dawes.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk