Hybrid advice needed please help

Jun 6, 2006
I am thinking of getting a Raleigh Detour 4.5 for someone to use to get exercise. Is this a decent bike? Is $419 a good price? Is there anything better in that range?

I want solid fork, cassette, double wall rims, and the ability to handle pavement and crushed limestone bike paths. It probably will never see much foul weather.

garage sale GT said:
I am thinking of getting a Raleigh Detour 4.5 for someone to use to get exercise. Is this a decent bike? Is $419 a good price? Is there anything better in that range?

I want solid fork, cassette, double wall rims, and the ability to handle pavement and crushed limestone bike paths. It probably will never see much foul weather.

Adjustable stems are somewhat problematic. I would ask your LBS or replace the adjustable with a fixed one after you've ridden for a while and know what you need. Another bike to check would be a Giant Cypress DX.

garage sale GT said:

Raleigh is a good all around bike for what you're planning to use it for. I ride a Raleigh Venture 5.0, mostly for the same type of riding you describe, neighborhood streets (very hilly), local greenway trails, etc. The Raleigh has been very reliable, has good gear spacing for hills and trails, however mine has a suspension fork, and it has been a plus on the rough roads where I ride, as it allows me to run higher pressure in the tires, and still get a reasonable ride. The only thing I've changed is the Avenir comfort seat, too big & bulky, put on a Serfas gel seat.

Leo3 said:
...mine has a suspension fork, and it has been a plus on the rough roads where I ride, as it allows me to run higher pressure in the tires, and still get a reasonable ride...
Try a solid fork and somewhat lower tire pressure. You may find pedaling much easier, if you are already pretty fast. You're wasting energy articulating your fork.

garage sale GT said:
Try a solid fork and somewhat lower tire pressure. You may find pedaling much easier, if you are already pretty fast. You're wasting energy articulating your fork.
I have an SR nex4000 fork, and have the pre-load adjustment set real stiff, running 60-65 lbs. in 26x1.95 tires, it seems to give me way better performance than the standard settings for most of my riding on roads & smooth paths. I soften the preload & lower tire pressure for trails.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any kind of suspension for the riding your going to be doing. If you want a hybrid from a mainstream manufacturer I'd suggest one of Trek's lower-end FX series or their 7000. A decent LBS should be able to give you good advice too.