Hybrid Bike Size Advice

Luchre

Nov 24, 2008
Hi,

I'm planing to buy a hybrid bike soon but i can't decide what size should i get. My inseam is 78cm and i know that the multiplier factor for hybrid's is 0.61 so the result is 47.5 The bikes I'm looking at are :

1) http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2012/bikes-2012/bike-detail/cross-9000/
2) http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2012/bikes-2012/bike-detail/cross-7500/

both from Ghost which produces 45cm and 49cm hybrid frames. Which one should i choose? If i remember correct, a salesman once told me to get the frame closer downwards to my inseam size not upwards, is that right?

Originally Posted by Luchre .

I'm planing to buy a hybrid bike soon but i can't decide what size should i get. My inseam is 78cm and i know that the multiplier factor for hybrid's is 0.61 so the result is 47.5 The bikes I'm looking at are :

1) http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2012/bikes-2012/bike-detail/cross-9000/
2) http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2012/bikes-2012/bike-detail/cross-7500/

both from Ghost which produces 45cm and 49cm hybrid frames. Which one should i choose? If i remember correct, [COLOR= #ff0000]a salesman once told me to get the frame closer downwards to my inseam size not upwards, is that right?[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #ff0000]Yes[/COLOR]. I agree that you will be happier with the smaller ([COLOR= #ff0000]45cm[/COLOR]) of the two frames -- based on your inseam, I presume that your height is between 5'7" & 5'10" ...

• I'm 5'9" and I would definitely choose the 45cm which has a [COLOR= #ff0000]57cm top tube [/COLOR]instead of the 49cm frame which has a 58cm top tube.

BUT, [COLOR= #0000ff]what kind of cycling are you planning on doing AND where do you plan to be riding [/COLOR]([COLOR= #808080]i.e., pavement OR off road?[/COLOR])[COLOR= #0000ff]?!?[/COLOR]

FWIW. If you think you will be doing more off road riding than not, then a "true" 29er like the RALEIGH XIX+G might be a better consideration. There are many other 29er options ... including full suspension 29ers & 29er Hardtails which have Rigid forks.

• a 29er can handle tires up to 700x58 ...
  • of course, a 29er can handle tires as narrow as 700x19 if you were to lace a pair of 622-13 rims on appropriate hubs.

If you simply want a bike whose frame can handle FAT tires, then you may want to choose a bike from their touring line (TR 7500) or a bike from the JAMIS CODA series, or equivalent.

OR, if your tire size is going to stay below 700x38 (?) then a CX bike might be a better choice.

The last two frame types ([COLOR= #808080]touring & cyclocross[/COLOR]) generally have a Rigid fork ... you will find a Rigid fork is a better option in most circumstances, and when you usually want to have a suspension fork you will want one with more than 60mm of travel ...

So, the RST Vogue fork is an odd choice, IMO, to include with relatively high-end XT components, and vice-versa.

Some older touring framesets can handle 700x53 tires when fenders are not mounted, so I presume that some current touring framesets can handle 700x53 tires, too.

BTW. If 'I' were wedded to the idea of a GHOST bike, then 'I' would probably choose either the Trekking 1300 or Trekking 7500 and remove the extraneous components ([COLOR= #808080]fenders/lights/rack/etc.[/COLOR]) when they weren't wanted:

The touring frame lacks disc brakes ...

If you want a 29er front suspension fork, then it will have mounts for a disc brake caliper.

BTW. The Ghost Trekking 1300 is [COLOR= #008000]650€[/COLOR] less than the 7500 model ... you can buy a lot of components for that amount of money!

Hi Alfeng and thanks for your reply-really appreciated and yes you are right about my height I'm 5'9. The reason i want a hybrid/cross bike is to have the option of cycling within the city and unpaved/gravel roads. I'm looking for fun/recreational and exercising at the same time so the hybrid looks more attractive choice rather a mountain bike that i used to own. I don't have so much experience with bicycles and rides but i guess a hybrid is a better choice for me since i want to ride within the city and going faster for longer distances right? I have tried several hybrids and all the ones had the rigid forks/flat tires were awfully stiff for me. maybe that's because it takes time to get used to it. On the other hand testing grippy tires with suspension forks was a very pleasant experience.

Thanks again Alfeng for your time.