Hybrid bike, web sites, where to buy?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Edward Be, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Hi I am in the processing of getting a new bike. Could someone tell me some web or real bike shops
    in the Leicester or
    E.Midlands area worth checking out. I have a budget of £250 I am also curious about the hyrbid (part
    road/part off road) any offers on the good/poor side of getting this type of bike to anormal road
    bike if I prefer a little rough off road riding occasionally? Cheers Pete, Leicester

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Peter Edward Beaman wrote:

    > I am also curious about the hyrbid (part road/part off road) any offers on the good/poor side of
    > getting this type of bike to anormal road bike if I prefer a little rough off road riding
    > occasionally?

    Depends what you mean by "a normal road bike". In the UK these days, hybrids generally *are* "a
    normal road bike". The main degree to which they're like an MTB is in having flat bars and
    derailleur gearing, the first of which suits them to a lot of people who've never got used to drop
    bars and the second of which means you can ride them around most places and have a gear for the job.

    Some basic off road can be done on just about any bike aside from a pure road racer. The Dawes
    Discovery (forget the model number, 60something) and Ridgeback Rapide (forget model name) look quite
    nice general bikes in your price range. I'm sure there are others...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Peter Edward Beaman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I am in the processing of getting a new bike. Could someone tell me some web or real bike shops
    > in the Leicester or
    > E.Midlands area worth checking out.

    Julies Cycles, Clarendon Park Rd., Leicester. Websters, London Rd., Leicester. John Machins, Melton
    Mowbray. Pedal Power, Loughboro'. Lutterworth Cycle Centre, Guess where? :)

    Pete

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The Dawes Discovery range, as already mentioned, is a good choice or, if you want a hybrid with a
    more mountain bike spec., the Dawes Chilliwack is a good bike.

    http://www.dawescycles.com/

  5. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

  6. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Graham <[email protected]> writes

    >"David Pipes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Paul <[email protected]> writes
    >> >The Dawes Discovery range, as already mentioned, is a good choice or, if
    >you
    >> >want a hybrid with a more mountain bike spec., the Dawes Chilliwack is a good bike.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.dawescycles.com/
    >> And as a recent very satisfied purchaser of a Ridgeback Velocity, may I draw your attention to
    >> the Ridgeback range? http://www.ridgebackbikes.co.uk/
    >> --
    >> DP
    >
    > You "Hybrid" lot are as bad as the "Bent" lot.
    Oh bugger, I've become a cult....
    --
    DP

  7. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "David Pipes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Paul <[email protected]> writes
    > >The Dawes Discovery range, as already mentioned, is a good choice or, if
    you
    > >want a hybrid with a more mountain bike spec., the Dawes Chilliwack is a good bike.
    > >
    > >http://www.dawescycles.com/
    > And as a recent very satisfied purchaser of a Ridgeback Velocity, may I draw your attention to the
    > Ridgeback range? http://www.ridgebackbikes.co.uk/
    > --
    > DP

    You "Hybrid" lot are as bad as the "Bent" lot.

    Graham

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:03:03 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You "Hybrid" lot are as bad as the "Bent" lot.

    Solution: buy a hybrid 'bent :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)