hybrid bike

Bob

Guest
Want a new hybrid bike. Like the Trek 7700FX for about a grand. Don't see where Cannondale has
anything equivalent. What other bikes might the group suggest. Ride 6000+ miles per year. Don't want
a road bike as I want the upright riding position. All miles are on pavement. Ride year around in
rain and snow. Suggestions??

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 03:41:16 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Want a new hybrid bike. Like the Trek 7700FX for about a grand. Don't see where Cannondale has
>anything equivalent. What other bikes might the group suggest. Ride 6000+ miles per year. Don't
>want a road bike as I want the upright riding position. All miles are on pavement. Ride year around
>in rain and snow. Suggestions??

WHy not get a road bike and slap some MTB handlebars on it?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm shaving!! I'M SHAVING!!
12:05:53 AM 6 June 2003

> WHy not get a road bike and slap some MTB handlebars on it?

If he's looking for a very upright riding position, a typical road bike might not do the job; bikes
like the TREK 7700FX he mentioned have shorter top tubes than most road bikes. Aside from that, a
7700FX pretty much *is* a road bike with MTB handlebars on it!

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 03:41:16 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from wrote:
>
> >Want a new hybrid bike. Like the Trek 7700FX for about a grand. Don't
see
> >where Cannondale has anything equivalent. What other bikes might the
group
> >suggest. Ride 6000+ miles per year. Don't want a road bike as I want
the
> >upright riding position. All miles are on pavement. Ride year around in rain and snow.
> >Suggestions??
>

> WHy not get a road bike and slap some MTB handlebars on it?
>

> --
> http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm shaving!! I'M SHAVING!!
> 12:05:53 AM 6 June 2003

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Want a new hybrid bike. Like the Trek 7700FX for about a grand. Don't
see
> where Cannondale has anything equivalent. What other bikes might the
group
> suggest. Ride 6000+ miles per year. Don't want a road bike as I want the upright riding position.
> All miles are on pavement. Ride year around in rain and snow. Suggestions??

The "hybrid" category used to be more well defined, but is really branching out these days. Some are
little more than road bikes with flat bars. Others are little more than mountain bikes with slicks.
The "comfort" versions usually have squishy seats, suspension seat posts, inexpensive front
suspension, and adjustable stems.

If you regularly ride in the rain and snow, you might consider a disc brake. Several models out
there have them. If snow is a bigger problem, then the wider tires of the mountain-bike based
hybrids will help.

Here are a few that show the range of options:

Cannondale has the Adventure series (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3AS4.html) Or the
Road Warrior series (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3HR9Y.html) Or the Bad Boy
(http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3FSBB.html)

Specialized has the Sirrus line
(http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?bl=road&my=2003&fan=Sirrus) And the Expedition line
(http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?bl=comfort&my=2003&fan=Expeditio
n)And also the Sequoia line, which is a road bike set up to have much more relaxed ergonomics
(http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?bl=road&my=2003&fan=Sequoia)

Lemond has an offering too (http://www.lemondbikes.com/bikes/bikes_wayzatac.html)

Jamis (http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2codaelite.html)

And the list goes on. If I were making the choice, I would go with the Specialized Sirrus or
Cannondale Bad Boy. I really like suspension on the street probably because I ride a lot of rough
streets. When all I had was one bike, I kept two sets of wheels, one with slicks for the commute and
the other with knobbies for weekend bombs down the trail. If you want just one bike for both summer
cruising and winter sloshing, you might take a long look at the Bad Boy. With disc brakes, you could
have a set of 700c wheels for the nice days and a set of 26" with slicks or knobbies for the bad
weather. The suspension also locks out if you want to keep everything rigid for a while. If my
situation changes and I have to go back to owning one bike, this is what I will buy.

Good luck and happy hunting! -Buck

Jamis has a little bit more of a road-focus hybrid called the Coda Elite and it retails for
about $1069.

http://www.citybikes.com/bikes/models/2003/03codaelite.htm
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2codaelite.html

I ridden the road bikes and not this particular bike -- good stuff. But, of course, ride it
before you buy!

Good luck!

> > WHy not get a road bike and slap some MTB handlebars on it?
>
> If he's looking for a very upright riding position, a typical road bike might not do the job;
> bikes like the TREK 7700FX he mentioned have shorter top tubes than most road bikes. Aside from
> that, a 7700FX pretty much
*is*
> a road bike with MTB handlebars on it!

> "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 03:41:16 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]>
from
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Want a new hybrid bike. Like the Trek 7700FX for about a grand. Don't
> see
> > >where Cannondale has anything equivalent. What other bikes might the
> group
> > >suggest. Ride 6000+ miles per year. Don't want a road bike as I want
> the
> > >upright riding position. All miles are on pavement. Ride year around
in
> > >rain and snow. Suggestions??
> >

> > WHy not get a road bike and slap some MTB handlebars on it?
> >

> > --
> > http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm shaving!! I'M SHAVING!!
> > 12:05:53 AM 6 June 2003

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Want a new hybrid bike. Like the Trek 7700FX for about a grand. Don't
see
> where Cannondale has anything equivalent. What other bikes might the
group
> suggest. Ride 6000+ miles per year. Don't want a road bike as I want the upright riding position.
> All miles are on pavement. Ride year around in rain and snow. Suggestions??

How about the marin "alp" range. I got the £600 "bear valley"
http://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/alp/spec_bearvalley.html which is a flat bar, but practically as
fast as a racer if you put 23c's on it. They also do some more expensive ones which look nice (about
£800 & £1000).

The Trek is a nice bike. I also like the other non-suspension suggestions. I have two comments:

1. I've never used disk brakes, but I understand that they are great in snow, rain and mud. The
fact that you can easily swap between 26" and 700C size wheels or wide and narrow rim widths
is very appealing. But, if you are seriously considering disk brakes, you should know that
there is more then just a cost issue to consider. Many folks have a safety concern that the
front QR may loosen as a result of hard, but normal braking forces. There are long threads
concerning this over in rec.bicycles.tech. It seems to me that if you go with disk brakes,
you must keep your lawyer lips just for safety sake.

2. The Trek and the Lemond have low spoke count wheels. Neat looking,
but more mundane, 36 spoke, 3X laced wheels would last longer and be
easier to fix should the need arise. They may even be less expensive.
So, if you like the idea see what your bike store will do for you.

I certainly wish you an enjoyable shopping experience and I hope you use your new bike in
good health.

Steve Shapiro [email protected]