hybrid bikes showdown

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by angotja, May 6, 2004.

1. angotja

angotja New Member

I will be buying a new hybrid bike soon. There are some very appealing options out there. Anyone have any opinions/comments about any of the following rigs? Jamis Coda Elite vs. Kona Dr. Dew vs. Gary Fisher Dual Sport 129 vs. Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra? I am a big man 260#, 6'2". I ride at least 6 mi/day (to work and back on the road). I need a practical, fun, fast, comfortable set-up in the $800-1500 price range. I have most recently owned a Trek 8000, which I had for 7 years before it was recently stolen. All input/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Tags:

2. natewilkes

natewilkes New Member

I really like my 2003 Marin Mill Valley. It climbs hills very well, is light and rigid. The 2004 version is kind of ugly though. The Cannondale was OK. Specialized Sirrus comp was better.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5994&JServSessionIdroot=hhcualop0d.j27008

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5995&JServSessionIdroot=hhcualop0d.j27008

3. warpdrive

warpdrive New Member

I like Specialized's Sirrus offerings, and Marin's offerings are worth looking at. Trek makes the 7700FX, and Cannondale has their Road warrior series. If you want a true fast bike, forget about the ones with front suspension because that is just extra baggage you don't need for the road. You can add a suspension seatpost later (if not offered) if you need to take the edge off the bumps.

4. alheng

alheng New Member

What is wrong with the Mill Valley's 04 look?

The only diff is the carbon fork right?

5. alheng

alheng New Member

I am in the market for a flat bar bike as well and have been looking at the Mill Valley, Sirrus Comp and Advanti blade, but I haven't been able to get much info about these bikes.

Any input will be appreciated!

6. natewilkes

natewilkes New Member

i think they have moved away from the matte black to a silver or grey. The black worked better.IMHO

7. natewilkes

natewilkes New Member

Other than the tiagra setup on hte Mill Valley it is a great bike. I tried the sirrus, it was also very cool. If I were to buy again I would definately pay more to avoid Tiagra. The carbon fork addition may be a nice addition.

8. warpdrive

warpdrive New Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Tiagra myself. Functionality it works just as good as the next up 105, but just doesn't look as well finished.