Hybrid bikes. The great cycling con?

Rhubarb said:
IMHO hybrids make excellent commuting and touring bikes.

Lighter frame than a MTB, less rolling resistance. Better power transfer due to no suspension. Holes for racks. Perfect!

Let me just duck under some of the raised noses here, though I am in utter and complete agreement that hybrids are worthwhile for their "entry level attraction" alone. The poll questions don't include that - I don't like my hybrid because it does *everything,* I like it because it does some kinds of riding extremely well.

I put 7000+ miles on my hybrids each of the past few years I pass an awful lot of road bikes on my Trek 7500 FX, and my dependable Giant Nutra's gets a daily commute (and hauls anything now that it's got the Xtracycle attachment).

It would be a bad thing if people got hybrids because they *thought* they'd do something they don't, and ended up not riding them. Maybe that happens... but there are an awful lot of hybrids out there **being ridden.** Woops, gotta go get on mine...

I was well and truly going down the Hybrid bike purchase track, however in 3 or 4 test rides the riding position just felt wrong coming from road bike- too upright, a little cramped for leg room. I happened across a Felt Q650 which would be classified a recreational MTB - it was fitted with semi slick tyres, Shimano Deore throughout. A short test ride and I had a hybrid MTB. The slightly longer top tube made a lot of difference to position - I felt far more comfortable being slightly 'stretched out' - closer to road/brake hoods position.

I can now go onto bike tracks I would never take the road bike, get away from traffic - each ride is a bit of an adventure as I can literally take whichever track I find.

Speed is down but not important for leisure ride. Hand positions are very limited and wrists do suffer after 90 minutes. It is 27 speed but I find most 'too easy' on flat stretches - (I like to crank a solid gear) so would change the rear cluster. The 26" rims are fine and with front shocks provides a comfortable ride without the jarring of road bike. I don't have to watch paths/road intently for small potholes, twigs like on road bike.

As you can get regular looking casual shorts with lining and casual MTB shoes with cleats, you don't need to look like you stepped out of the TDF if you use the bike to get around town ( pub crawls by bike)

I don't know if bike shops are selling 2 , 3, or 4 rec MTB/hybrid bikes to every 1 road bike but it would not surprise me given the versitility and comfortable ride they provide. I will still use the road bike but the MTB / Hybrid bikes have a lot going for them

After owning one for 3 years I consider my hybrid a city - tooling around - dirt path bike that witstands abuse and would work fine in most situations.

You can get some speed out of them things, and it is OK for most situations.

... and now is collecting dust because I've been riding fixed gear for a year. Sniff.