hybrid fitness bikes v.s. road bikes

jrstudman81

Banned
Aug 18, 2011
Just how much faster is a quality road bike v.s. a quality fitness hybrid bike, lets say a Specialized sirrus limited? This is the bike i'm interested in just have to get fitted for it. Can you get up to 30mph or more on a hybrid fitness bike if you push yourself and want to. I'm talking about on the straights and downhill? The specialized sirrus limited is 2100.00 dollars so It has to be a good bike with carbon frame. Just not comfortable on drop down handle bars or I probably would go with a road bike. I know drop downs don't make that much of a difference in terms of speed as compared to flat bars. Is a Specialized sirrus limited fast? It has to be fast its a top of the line hybrid bike.

Originally Posted by jrstudman81 .

Just how much faster is a quality road bike v.s. a quality fitness hybrid bike

That's a tough question to answer, but I've always used this formula:
√144*(4*π)/(2+7.230334*.029)*.03 ≈ X mph

Reactions: davereo
I mean if you buy a quality road bike and swap the drop down handlebars for flat bars, then technically its not a road bike anymore, right? Also, it won't be as fast???

If you can manage to pedal as quickly as you create threads asking questions that simple research would answer, I'd say the only thing that could keep up with you would have a flux capacitor.

I went from riding a Trek FX to a Bianchi (steelie) road bike and my avg speed is up about two to two and a half miles an hour. Is that the bike or is that me gaining strength? Probably a bit of both. 30 mph on an upright bike in the flats? You'd have to be pretty beast to pull that off. Not saying it can't be done but that's a good push.

PLEASE. Go to your local bike shop. Test a few of the flat bar hybrid bikes they have on display. Ask about the bikes you have been looking at online, see if there are any other lbs that carry that certain brand. You cannot make a decision just looking at these bikes online. As far as my opinion goes, I like hybrids. They are the perfect bike for older guys who are tired of riding drops, or people just looking for a nice smooth ride to get them places, some people even commute on them. I don't understand is why you are asking if you can do 30 mph on one. I'm sure it can be done, but probably with more than twice the effort required from a road bike. It's all about personal fitness, can YOU push 30mph? There will never be a hybrid bike that's as fast as a real road bike, but go try a couple out.

so switching out the handlebars on a lets say cannondale synapse carbon 6 apex would be stupid to flat bars b/c the bike wouldn't be a road bike anymore? nor would it be aerodynamic? I liked that road bike in my price range other than that I liked the specialized sirrus limited. I mean a hybrid bike is plenty fast right? downhill?

Originally Posted by jrstudman81 .

so switching out the handlebars on a lets say cannondale synapse carbon 6 apex would be stupid to flat bars b/c the bike wouldn't be a road bike anymore? nor would it be aerodynamic? I liked that road bike in my price range other than that I liked the specialized sirrus limited. I mean a hybrid bike is plenty fast right? downhill?

Yes.

I was in similar situation as you when I started seriously biking just early this year! Didn't want a mountain and didn't want a road bike at first... So got myself a nice Trek Montare hybrid! Is nice, but is no speed demon either... Is great in a way I can go anywhere and some off road as well....

Than I started doing bike tour and bought myself a used Gary Fisher road bike for cheap! I was convince, my riding style fit best with a road bike!

Now comes year end, I see huge savings with some high end bikes, so I sold my Gary Fisher with a small lost and bought myself a Trek Madone 5.2! Just did a 30km run today! Love the thing...

Really depend on your style, I now think road bike handle is way more comfortable than a straight... you can have various different hand position where you can't in a straight.

Hope this helps!