Hybrid, flat bar or (comfortable) road bike

2Wh33l5

Nov 12, 2007
Hi!

I am a newbie looking to buy a road bike weighted hybrid or a proper road bike with less aggressive geometry. It will be mainly for riding to and from work along a bike paths rather than on the road. I have had a mountain bike and a hybrid bike with suspension forks and am looking for something lighter and faster.

I have gone through a lot of the posts in these forums and "decided" the following is what I would like in order of priority:

1) Light (<10 kg) and "fast" - my current hybrid is about 12.5kg (too heavy)
2) Comfortable - I do not want to place much strain on my back
3) Durable - I don't want the wheel to buckle the first time it hits a twig : ) - I am not heavy (75kg)
4) Quality gears and derailleurs (at least 105, preferably Ultegra)
5) Reasonable cost - ideally <$1500, at most $2000
6) I'm happy to buy a good second hand bike
7) It should last me at least 3 years
8) I will not be racing - just hopefully caning down bike paths and up hills

One of the main problems is I can't decide whether to get a road bike like the OCR which has more relaxed geomtery or a flat bar road bike - what is the difference between the two with respect to comfort?

The true hybrids would be a great option (as I like the possibility of putting mud guards on) except they seem too heavy.

I would be grateful for any opinions! Thanks

Hi, I have a fitness hybrid (trek fx), and I enjoy riding it.
But, I've been lucky enough try out a flat-bar roadie & a true road bike.
Both of bikes I tried were definitely faster than my current bike, although a bit rough on the bumps. The dropbars on the roadie felt quite natural to me, but I found the fit too aggressive for long days in the saddle.

My conclusion - my next bike I will buy will be a touring bike.
What would suit me would be a relaxed geometry, the option of wider tyres, low gearing, dropbars and the ability to put on racks & mudguards.

There are some quality touring bikes out there like - trek 520's, cannodales, mongoose randonears (sadly out of production in alumnium), Fuji, etc.

Anyway, just an idea.

2Wh33l5 said:
Hi!

I am a newbie looking to buy a road bike weighted hybrid or a proper road bike with less aggressive geometry. It will be mainly for riding to and from work along a bike paths rather than on the road. I have had a mountain bike and a hybrid bike with suspension forks and am looking for something lighter and faster.
Hi 2

Well, I will watch this post with interest as I am in the same position. I ride what is I suppose a hybrid that had dirt tyres but I put road Kevlars on it to ride to work and it has been very good even though it is a cheap bike.

Next year I intend to buy a new bike for my 9km commute that is quite similar to yours by the sound of it, bike paths and the like so needs to be fairly agile and comfortable. I am pretty sure I will be looking at a flat bar with perhaps a good width tyre to put up with the odd sandy patches that occur along the way.

One other thing that I did put on my bike is a light weight rear mud guard from Kmart. It only weighs a hundred grams or thereabouts, simply fitted onto the seat shaft and keeps my butt and backpack nice and dry :rolleyes: .

Definitely a must. :p

Anyway, I look forward to your eventual decision.

cheers,

AdamVW:)

Hi ppl,

I am looking into this as well! I have decided that I am going to get a compact road frame and forks (ideally old/discontinued stock) and build the bike up from there. I like the compact geometry because it feels more like a mountain bike, which is what I'm used to!

Thanks for the replies!

I went to the LBS and put a deposit on a Giant OCR Touring. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore (this was a 2004 model!) - not that it was making it much cheaper ... $2000 after a $500 discount. Not too heavy (12.5 kg) and seems very strong - plus it has drops which feel nice.

Now for some pedals - I quite like those pedals which are flat on one side and have studs ?cleats on the other side. Any recommended pedals for a newbie using the bike mainly for commute?

Hi again,

I went for Shimano PD-M324 when I bought my MTB - They are flat on one side with toeclip attachments (which I went for first because I had no money left over for SPD shoes!) and a cleat on the other. They are nicely ballanced and solidly made.

I don't know if they'll fit a road bike though! (I know nothing about road bike components!). If they do fit then I recommend them highly.

I think they cost me about £40 (although I expect you could get them cheaper in dollars in the US because EVERYTHING is cheaper in the US than in rip-off Britain!) :mad:

Originally Posted by 2Wh33l5
Hi!

Hi there - I am a newbie also. I just started commuting in Melbourne along the Gardiners Creek Trail and into the city. I want to upgrade my old flat bar soon to something faster and am thinking of doing triathalons early next year (just for fun - nothing too serious). So a road bike is my obvious choice for that. But I am concerned a road bike such as the new GIANT OCR Alliance, with 23c tires may not handle the bumps too well. The worst bits of my commute are the bumps in the suspension path near the tennis centre and the gravel bits near Fed Square.

I could get too bikes, but thats a bit expensive.

Did you ever get an answer to your original question, or can anyone else out there recommended a solution. I suppose what I need is a road bike strong enough for commuting but still quick enough for triathlon.

Caprice said:
Originally Posted by 2Wh33l5
But I am concerned a road bike such as the new GIANT OCR Alliance, with 23c tires may not handle the bumps too well. The worst bits of my commute are the bumps in the suspension path near the tennis centre and the gravel bits near Fed Square.
28C and hold on :)

JeremyP said:
28C and hold on :)
The OCR Touring has 28mm as standard tyres - the other option for you might be a Cyclocross bike - these are "light" enough to be carried but are tough enough to withstand use in mud etc...

The OCR Touring is 12.5kg - so not light - but I sacrificed this for avoiding the hassle of bent wheels etc given that I rather travel on bike paths and not roads...

I have found a nice platform/clipless hybird pedal - The Shimano A530 - quite light too!

Now for a helmet...