Hybrid or MTB? Purchasing advice

Fishem

Apr 29, 2004
I just got my Trek MTB of 5 years stolen (filed through a kryptonite lock and all). It had manatee front suspension and was most similar to their current 6700 MTB model. Im now on the hunt for my very own brand new bike. My only complaint with the Trek was lower back pains commonly associated with a MTB that has little elevation difference between seat and handlebar. Im apprehensive about going with a hybrid/cruiser for my 5 mile bike ride to school each day over the Brooklyn Bridge as i also want a ride with nice front shocks that will support me for some off road in Prospect Park as well as all weather use. $600-700 is about my upper spending limit.

So far the Specialized Hardrock series of bikes seems good though it probably will not help my back.

appreciate your input.

Well, it all depends on you're riding priorities. MTB's usually come with features not suited to road riding: knobbly tires and the wrong gearing options. However, if you swap tires and don't plan on going super fast, these aren't huge issuses. I don't know what Prospect Park is like. If that's your riding priority and it's rough terrain, you may prefer a MTB. Hybrids often have thinner, smoother tires that might not be appropriate.

As for suspension, I tend to think's it's a waste, but that comes with my heavy road bias. For $600-700 you can definitely get a front suspension hybrid; Trek and Fuji, to name two, have models. Hybrids are well suited to city riding.

Originally posted by Fishem
I just got my Trek MTB of 5 years stolen (filed through a kryptonite lock and all). It had manatee front suspension and was most similar to their current 6700 MTB model. Im now on the hunt for my very own brand new bike. My only complaint with the Trek was lower back pains commonly associated with a MTB that has little elevation difference between seat and handlebar. Im apprehensive about going with a hybrid/cruiser for my 5 mile bike ride to school each day over the Brooklyn Bridge as i also want a ride with nice front shocks that will support me for some off road in Prospect Park as well as all weather use. $600-700 is about my upper spending limit.

So far the Specialized Hardrock series of bikes seems good though it probably will not help my back.

appreciate your input.

Hybrids are stupid...don't buy one.

Buy an MTB that fits you well and if you want to commute or otherwise ride on roads switch your tyres to a nice semi-slick. I commute (50k round trip) on an MTB with nice stiff Shimano M540 wheels and semi-slicks (GEAX street runners) pumped to 100psi and the outfit rolls almost as nicely as my road bike. I keep a second set of off-road wheels for weekend bushbashing. If you want to go bush, most hybrids simple aren't built for it. Extra weight with shocks? So what? pushing a heavier bike will make you stronger. As to your lower back? Ask around for a GOOD LBS that will size the bike correctly and fit it to you.

Hey there!

I¡¯ve been riding both road and mountain bikes last two years. Since I got my road bike, Cannondale Dura-Ace, I kinda forgot about my mountain bike. Now, I miss it riding my good o¡¯le MTB.

I¡¯ve been thinking about getting a new mountain bike. I¡¯ve been looking at Trek 4500 and if you have any recommendation, please let me know!!

I have a Merida MTB and have fitted Continental slicks 26x1.3, wow, what a difference. One advantage of the MTB frame is the better ground clearance. With a BB drop of only 25mm, I can pedal out of corners much sooner than a road bike with a bb drop of 70mm.

Sugggestion, if you buy a MTB with 26" wheels, buy some 650c road wheels and 12-25 casette to swap over for the road.

cheers
George

casette?

hrmm, switching to semi slicks seems like excellent idea, the Shimano wheelsets ive been hearing good things about too. i have been hearing good things about to.