Hybrid Performance vs. Trek vs. ??? - 45yo buying his first bike in 25 years and seeking advice

jch67

Dec 27, 2012
I'm a 45yo, out of shape (not horribly) male who is buying his first bike in 25 or so years. I've narrowed it down to a Hybrid bike as I can't imagine myself lasting very long in a road bike riding position. I'm buying the bike for fitness primarily and to have something I can keep up with my 5yo girl as she gets to be a better cyclist.

I've been researching and have narrowed my choices down to 2 manufacturers (I think) Trek and Specialized. However, I am open to suggestions of other manufacturers.

I've narrowed it down to these two for several reasons but mainly because they are locally available; in fact, the only reason Specialized is on the list is my LBS who is .5 miles away carries Specialized. I'd have to go a bit farther for a Trek dealer.

I'm looking at the CrossTrail from Specialized and the Trek FX2.0 or 8.3 DS.

Any suggestions, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

And again, although I've made some preliminary decisions, I have not made anything final. So if you think I should be in a different type of bike, manufacturer or model please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

If you wont be riding in trails and stuff (anything non paved) its probably not necessary to go for fat tires and suspension systems. They are a bit heavy and can be tiring in longer distances and climbs. Road bikes are good for fitness too but they are sometimes less comfortable.

Maybe a touring or audax bike would be good. They are aimed for long distances so I guess they should be comfy. Trek had some touring bikes on their website. There are also some road bikes in the "endurace" sub-category or something which say that are a bit more comfortable whilst being fast. They say they have a higher handlebar geometry.

Hi there, jch67. Fitness rider, mid-40's, been there, done that. I'm 47 and riding to improve my health after too many years of snacking, slacking, and chained to a desk in suit and tie 9-5. I bought a Specialized Crosstrail Pro Disc in late September. This guy: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/crosstrail/crosstrailprodisc#specs I put a ton (well, for me, based on available free time) of miles on it, somewhere around 1000 now. I'm pretty effectively done riding it until spring unless we have a winter thaw, and I am in real withdrawal. Damn, I love that bike. Cost me about $2300 out the door that day with some add-ons, Specialized data computer, wider saddle for comfort, rear light and bottle cage. I put another roughly $600 into it for a pair of Phillips LED headlights, a back rack, a Garmin Nuvi GPS (added that after I got lost going around in circles at night in a couple of enormous unfamiliar subdivisions), spoke lighting, basic emergency tool/repair kit, CO2 tire inflation kit, Bluetooth speaker. So, a moderately substantial investment. But so worth it, that bike is amazing. I was previously riding a Cannondale SM700, which felt like a great bike until I got to know my Specialized just a bit. The Pro Disc is the equivalent of some luxury car, makes my Cannondale feel like some sort of old clunker. Just the best riding experience, smooth and fast in my suburban, paved environment, yet decent on gravel trails and dirt roads, which are few here.

Thanks Motown! I'm assuming you're in Detroit from the name, I'm in Louisville and not expecting to get much riding in anytime soon.

I don't see myself putting in the investment you have until I some experience under my belt and am sure I'll make good use of the bike.