I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
(aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
my money but some of the newer models really feel good.

I know hybrids aren't popular for enthusiasts. But for the riding I
do, they are ideal. So, I won't be getting a road bike for now.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Marc

On 2006-09-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hoping for advice...........I use a Hybrid bike casually. I ride once
> a week usually - about 30 miles or so. Sometimes a little longer.
> Almost all on paved bike trails. I am thinking of upgrading my hybrid
> bike.
>
> I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
> substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
> (aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
> my money but some of the newer models really feel good.
>
> I know hybrids aren't popular for enthusiasts. But for the riding I
> do, they are ideal. So, I won't be getting a road bike for now.
>
> Thanks!!!!!!!
> Marc

With that kind of use, your bike should be fine. If you wish to upgrade,
look into the point you make contact with the bike and the bike/road.
That means saddle/shorts, pedals/shoes, grips, and tires. I put 1000
miles/month on a cheap hybrid and only use my road bike when waiting for
parts (200 miles this year). Most the upgrades I mentioned can always be
used on your next bike.

In article <naaLg.20510$CL6.3518@trnddc06>,
chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2006-09-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hoping for advice...........I use a Hybrid bike casually. I ride once
> > a week usually - about 30 miles or so. Sometimes a little longer.
> > Almost all on paved bike trails. I am thinking of upgrading my hybrid
> > bike.
> >
> > I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
> > substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
> > (aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
> > my money but some of the newer models really feel good.
> >
> > I know hybrids aren't popular for enthusiasts. But for the riding I
> > do, they are ideal. So, I won't be getting a road bike for now.

> With that kind of use, your bike should be fine. If you wish to upgrade,
> look into the point you make contact with the bike and the bike/road.
> That means saddle/shorts, pedals/shoes, grips, and tires. I put 1000
> miles/month on a cheap hybrid and only use my road bike when waiting for
> parts (200 miles this year). Most the upgrades I mentioned can always be
> used on your next bike.

It all comes down to one's financial situation and what's one's
expectation of that once in a week ride doesn't it?

I recently upgraded and the new hybrid bike is so much lighter and
stiffer than the old Mo-Cr steel frame (10-15 yrs old) that I can really
feel it in the acceleration and uphill rides. I am just enjoying cycling
on the new bike that much more. So to me, it's well worth it.

I would suggest that the OP should find out the weight of his old Trek
and see if he can gain a marked weight reduction for his budget. If not,
maybe it's not worth it. Also take a ride on some sample bikes and see
if the improved ride warrants the extra expenses.

On 2006-09-05, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <naaLg.20510$CL6.3518@trnddc06>,
> chuck <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 2006-09-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Hoping for advice...........I use a Hybrid bike casually. I ride once
>> > a week usually - about 30 miles or so. Sometimes a little longer.
>> > Almost all on paved bike trails. I am thinking of upgrading my hybrid
>> > bike.
>> >
>> > I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
>> > substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
>> > (aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
>> > my money but some of the newer models really feel good.
>> >
>> > I know hybrids aren't popular for enthusiasts. But for the riding I
>> > do, they are ideal. So, I won't be getting a road bike for now.

>> With that kind of use, your bike should be fine. If you wish to upgrade,
>> look into the point you make contact with the bike and the bike/road.
>> That means saddle/shorts, pedals/shoes, grips, and tires. I put 1000
>> miles/month on a cheap hybrid and only use my road bike when waiting for
>> parts (200 miles this year). Most the upgrades I mentioned can always be
>> used on your next bike.

> It all comes down to one's financial situation and what's one's
> expectation of that once in a week ride doesn't it?
>
> I recently upgraded and the new hybrid bike is so much lighter and
> stiffer than the old Mo-Cr steel frame (10-15 yrs old) that I can really
> feel it in the acceleration and uphill rides. I am just enjoying cycling
> on the new bike that much more. So to me, it's well worth it.
>
> I would suggest that the OP should find out the weight of his old Trek
> and see if he can gain a marked weight reduction for his budget. If not,
> maybe it's not worth it. Also take a ride on some sample bikes and see
> if the improved ride warrants the extra expenses.
> --

Speed/weight/performace isn't an issue with me. After all, I ride a
hybrid. It's all about a comfortable workout. As long as the bike is
dependable, I'll get there sooner or (probably) later.

The poster mentioned the test bikes feeling good and suspension for road
riding. I can't figure that one out, maybe the Trek just doesn't fit
right. To me, the best suspension I've found are my knees/elbows and
the perfect spring of my Brooks pro saddle.

I also beleive that any extra weight would also be offset by set of
clipless pedals/shoes.

As for comfort on a hybrid, I also find those bow-tie shaped handlebars
with cork tape work great. I was surprised that REI now offers a $1000
bike with this type bar. The LBS looked at me like I was nuts when I
went to that type bar a few years back.

To me these items are essential, and they can always be moved to the
next bike.

Hi Marc,

I know this isn't an answer to your exact question but if you are in the
market for a new hybrid, let me tell you a few things I don't like about the
2005 Specialized Crossroads Sport I bought this past February:

- the seat is horribly uncomfortable, after just 2 or 3 miles, my butt
hurts. I think they must have subcontracted it's design to the Marquis de
Sade.
- after a few weeks the seat started to squeak badly. I thought it was the
front suspension and oiled the heck out of it. I took it back to the dealer
and they were completely puzzled and wanted to give up on finding the
problem. When I insisted they either fix it or take it back and refund my
money, they played around for another hour or so and found out the squeaks
were really coming from the seat (it has lots of springs.) They sprayed a
bunch of lube on the under side of the seat. This got rid of the problem
for about a week and it came right back. Knowing the root of the problem, I
sprayed the heck out of the underside of the seat several times with several
different lubes and the squeak finally went away.
- The pedals are incredibly cheap and flimsy. One broke and the other was
deformed after just a few months (I didn't abuse the bike and always rode it
on trails or the street). My dealer dug through his take-off bin and
replaced them with much sturdier ones.
- I hate those new highly slanted top bars. Unless you buy a fairly large
size, most of the hybrids now have slanted top bars. This makes it
difficult (and funny looking) to transport on a car rack, to store on many
bike racks, and there was no room for my bike lock ( or a 2nd water bottle
or air pump) inside the frame.

On the other hand, other than that absolutely awful seat, it is more
comfortable to ride. I do think you loose some of the power you put into
the pedals in the suspension.

Maybe other brands are better, but if I had it to do over, I don't think I'd
buy a Specialized Crossroads Sport again.

-Pete

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hoping for advice...........I use a Hybrid bike casually. I ride once
> a week usually - about 30 miles or so. Sometimes a little longer.
> Almost all on paved bike trails. I am thinking of upgrading my hybrid
> bike.
>
> I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
> substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
> (aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
> my money but some of the newer models really feel good.
>
> I know hybrids aren't popular for enthusiasts. But for the riding I
> do, they are ideal. So, I won't be getting a road bike for now.
>
> Thanks!!!!!!!
> Marc

Thanks for your messages. They all make sense. Maybe I will stick
with the old until next spring. I have budgeted for a new bike but I
don't know if I need it now. Besides I have to get a hitch added to my
car for the bike carrier and that is going to be about 200.

I have already purchased a new, really comfortable saddle and bike
shorts. So, the old ride is getting more comfortable. Just not as
easy to get up hills as the aluminum models I test rode.

Sorry to hear about your problems with specialized. I had a crossroads
a few years ago and hated it. I traded it in after about 1 year for
the Trek and was much happier.

Marc

[email protected] wrote:
> Hoping for advice...........I use a Hybrid bike casually. I ride once
> a week usually - about 30 miles or so. Sometimes a little longer.
> Almost all on paved bike trails. I am thinking of upgrading my hybrid
> bike.
>
> I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
> substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
> (aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
> my money but some of the newer models really feel good.

A new bike will be much shinier. If that's enough to get you out riding
more, you should buy one. If not, maybe 15 minutes with a hose, sponge,
and some spray Pledge would work just as well.

Only slightly more seriously, because the preceding was pretty serious,
I can't think of anything a newer bike would do for you. Suspension is
heavy and irrelevant for most paved bike trail riding. (It neatly
negates any weight saved via an aluminum frame.) Unless you ride up
some very steep hills, I doubt you're going to lose enough weight to
make it worthwhile if you're going to get another hybrid -- I just don't
think they make super-light hybrids. You say your bike is in "great
condition," implying it's well adjusted; otherwise, a trip to the bike
shop might be in order to tune and adjust things.

About the only way I can see for you to gain anything is if you can get
the bike 2-3 pounds lighter, it would be slightly easier to get it on
and off a bike rack.

Pat

In article <[email protected]>,
Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Only slightly more seriously, because the preceding was pretty serious,
> I can't think of anything a newer bike would do for you. Suspension is
> heavy and irrelevant for most paved bike trail riding. (It neatly
> negates any weight saved via an aluminum frame.) Unless you ride up
> some very steep hills, I doubt you're going to lose enough weight to
> make it worthwhile if you're going to get another hybrid -- I just don't
> think they make super-light hybrids. You say your bike is in "great
> condition," implying it's well adjusted; otherwise, a trip to the bike
> shop might be in order to tune and adjust things.

Hybrid these days are really hybrid to your imagination. For road
biking, carbon front forks often appear in the upper range of so called
hybrid range. The weight can be very close to a decent road bike ie. Sub
10kg. I agree, suspension is a bit of a dead weight for road riding.

> Thanks for your messages. They all make sense. Maybe I will stick
> with the old until next spring. I have budgeted for a new bike but I
> don't know if I need it now.

When in doubt, don't do it. That's the spirit! :)
--

Hi Marc,

What saddle did you get? I've got to replace that Marquis de Sade model on
my Crossroads.

Thanks,
> [...]
>> I'd
>> buy a Specialized Crossroads Sport again.
>>
>> -Pete
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Hoping for advice...........I use a Hybrid bike casually. I ride once
>> > a week usually - about 30 miles or so. Sometimes a little longer.
>> > Almost all on paved bike trails. I am thinking of upgrading my hybrid
>> > bike.
>> >
>> > I have a trek multitrack 730 in great condition. Are there any
>> > substantial advantages to upgrading to one of their newer versions
>> > (aluminum frame, suspension fork, etc.). I don't want to just waste
>> > my money but some of the newer models really feel good.
>> >
>> > I know hybrids aren't popular for enthusiasts. But for the riding I
>> > do, they are ideal. So, I won't be getting a road bike for now.

Most any of the wider saddles will do. The key is to go to the local
shop and have them let you try it on your bike or one of theirs. The
saddle is in my car. I will go have a look at the name and model later
today and post it. I think it's an avenir. Very, very comfortable but
I would have prefered a completely fabric enclosure. Some of it is
vinyl.

Marc
pj wrote:
> [...]
> >> on trails or the street). My dealer dug through his take-off bin and
> >> replaced them with much sturdier ones.
> >> - I hate those new highly slanted top bars. Unless you buy a fairly
> >> large
> >> size, most of the hybrids now have slanted top bars. This makes it
> >> difficult (and funny looking) to transport on a car rack, to store on
> >> many
> >> bike racks, and there was no room for my bike lock ( or a 2nd water
> >> bottle
> >> or air pump) inside the frame.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, other than that absolutely awful seat, it is more
> >> comfortable to ride. I do think you loose some of the power you put into
> >> the pedals in the suspension.
> >>
> >> Maybe other brands are better, but if I had it to do over, I don't think
> >> I'd
> >> buy a Specialized Crossroads Sport again.

OK...it's an Avenir Duluxe comfort saddle. The seat rests on flexible
gel base but some may prefer a spring base. My bike shop is expensive
so I am sure you could do better online. Just browsing Nashbar, I
found this one.....

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...e=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Saddles

Just make sure it's wide enough. With a new saddle and some bike
shorts, you will feel much better.

Marc

R Brickston wrote:
> I've found the wider and cushier saddle the more chaffing and
> uncomfort.
>
> Good info on choosing:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

I put a gel liner on mine and found that my sit bones are happier but
the inner thigh chafing is now worse.
Win some and lose some.
Bill Baka

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your inputs.

-Pete

news:[email protected]...