Hybrid vs Flat Bar Road bike

Ken M

Guest
I am having a heck of time trying to decide what type of bike to buy
for my first 'NEW' bike. At first I was leaning towards a hardtail mtb,
like the Trek 3700 or 4300, then after thinking about it for a day or
so I decided that that would be 'more bike than I need' so then I was
considering the Trek 7000 series hybrids particularly the 7300, or the
Giant Cypress DX. But then I started looking at a couple of 'Flat Bar
Road Bikes' like the Ibex Corrida or one of the K2 flat bar models. I
think it's called the 'Astral' or something like that.

I like and can tolerate the more upright geometry that the hardtails
give, which seems to be the same with the hybrids, but I like the
lightweightness of a road bike.

I have been only trying to look in the local bike shops so I can 'put
my hands' on the bikes and 'see' them in person. But with only two LBS
my selection seems a little limited ( 5 brands ), Trek, Raliegh,
Cannondale, Giant, and Sun recumbents.

I know that as a first time bike buyer I 'should' by from a local
dealer. But if I decide to buy over the net are there any little
mistakes I could make that will turn into huge probelms? I know about
sizing, is there any thing else I need to consider?

Ken

Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:
:>I am having a heck of time trying to decide what type of bike to buy
:> for my first 'NEW' bike. At first I was leaning towards a hardtail
:> mtb, like the Trek 3700 or 4300, then after thinking about it for a
:> day or so I decided that that would be 'more bike than I need' so
:> then I was considering the Trek 7000 series hybrids particularly the
:> 7300, or the Giant Cypress DX. But then I started looking at a
:> couple of 'Flat Bar Road Bikes' like the Ibex Corrida or one of the
:> K2 flat bar models. I think it's called the 'Astral' or something
:> like that.

Why get a flat-bar road bike?

:>
:> I like and can tolerate the more upright geometry that the hardtails
:> give, which seems to be the same with the hybrids, but I like the
:> lightweightness of a road bike.

Why not a Trek 1000?

:>
:> I have been only trying to look in the local bike shops so I can 'put
:> my hands' on the bikes and 'see' them in person. But with only two
:> LBS my selection seems a little limited ( 5 brands ), Trek, Raliegh,
:> Cannondale, Giant, and Sun recumbents.

That seems like plenty...

:>
:> I know that as a first time bike buyer I 'should' by from a local
:> dealer. But if I decide to buy over the net are there any little
:> mistakes I could make that will turn into huge probelms? I know about
:> sizing, is there any thing else I need to consider?

I can't comment on this! :) Good luck though.

** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **

For the the more upright position.

** Why not a Trek 1000? **

My back doesn't like the drop bars that are on a 1000.

Ken

On 9 Sep 2005 09:22:54 -0700, "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **
>
>For the the more upright position.

Not true. Sitting on my Trek 1000 holding the bar near the stem, I'm
sitting up even -more- than on my Trek 7500fx. Much more.

jj

>** Why not a Trek 1000? **
>
>My back doesn't like the drop bars that are on a 1000.
>
>Ken

** >** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **

>For the the more upright position.

Not true. Sitting on my Trek 1000 holding the bar near the stem, I'm
sitting up even -more- than on my Trek 7500fx. Much more.

jj **

Well perhaps you are right, I have not tried a Trek 1000.

But it is also outside of my price range. I have set an upper limit of
$470.00 plus tax.

Ken

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:47:12 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:
>I am having a heck of time trying to decide what type of bike to buy
> for my first 'NEW' bike. At first I was leaning towards a hardtail
> mtb, like the Trek 3700 or 4300, then after thinking about it for a
> day or so I decided that that would be 'more bike than I need' so
> then I was considering the Trek 7000 series hybrids particularly the
> 7300, or the Giant Cypress DX. But then I started looking at a
> couple of 'Flat Bar Road Bikes' like the Ibex Corrida or one of the
> K2 flat bar models. I think it's called the 'Astral' or something
> like that.

I believe these 3 are also flat-bar road bikes:

Raleigh C700 $750
Raleigh C500 $550
Fuji Absolute $550

- Tom

Well I must not know anything! But the $470 was not including tax. So
it could well be in my range but I still think the geometry is more
uptight than the hybrid models.

Ken

On 9 Sep 2005 09:36:46 -0700, "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>** >** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **
>
>>For the the more upright position.

>Not true. Sitting on my Trek 1000 holding the bar near the stem, I'm
>sitting up even -more- than on my Trek 7500fx. Much more.
>
>jj **
>
>Well perhaps you are right, I have not tried a Trek 1000.
>
>But it is also outside of my price range. I have set an upper limit of
>$470.00 plus tax.
>
>Ken

Again, may not be true. I paid a little over $600 for it in Feb. Usually
get about 150-180 off in the fall sale. So that's right around $440. But
since with tax that comes to about $475.00, guess you're outta luck. ;-)

jj

** Doesn't seem to me like there's a necessary correlation between
uprightness of
position and bar type. **

There probably isn't any, I think it is mostly the design of the frames
meaning the overall geometry. I find that the geo of the hardtail mtb's
and hybrid to be more to my liking, if I could find a road frame with
this design I would buy it, but from my research most road bikes have
much differnt geo than mtb's and hybrids.

** a hardtail
with slicks **

That is what my current ride is, but it is an old heavy ( boat anchor )
steel frame.

Ken

On 9 Sep 2005 09:55:06 -0700, "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well I must not know anything! But the $470 was not including tax. So
>it could well be in my range but I still think the geometry is more
>uptight than the hybrid models.
>
>Ken

The point I was trying to humorously make is that you've already made your
decision, but, imo, based on spurious facts, Ken.

You seem set on a straight bar bike and are, perhaps unknowingly letting
half-baked truths influence your decision.

Though you've mentioned 'a drop bar bike hurts your back', you've not even
bothered to test the reason for that, and it's imprecise. Did you ride in
the drops for an hour several times and then find it hurt your back? Did
you ride on the hoods for an hour several times? Did you ride on the flat
part of a road bike with an extreme difference between seat and bar?

I'd only suggest the real reason is something else which you haven't quite
put your finger on. Take your time. Ride a Trek 1000 with a longer stem,
and do it on a trainer in the bike shop so you can spend an hour and see if
your problem still recurs. Don't be limited by a possibly false
preconception. Fair enough?

jj

Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:
:> ** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **
:>
:> For the the more upright position.
:>
:> ** Why not a Trek 1000? **
:>
:> My back doesn't like the drop bars that are on a 1000.

http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Raise the bar up to a comfortable height. Also, that Trek 1000 is a comfort
bike, not an agressive road-racer bike. It has features built in for your
style of riding.

Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:
:> ** >** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **
:>
:>>For the the more upright position.
:>
:>
:>
:> Not true. Sitting on my Trek 1000 holding the bar near the stem, I'm
:> sitting up even -more- than on my Trek 7500fx. Much more.
:>
:> jj **
:>
:> Well perhaps you are right, I have not tried a Trek 1000.
:>
:> But it is also outside of my price range. I have set an upper limit
:> of $470.00 plus tax.

Unless you're cash tight, consider modifying your limit to get the right
machine for your needs (not that I know, mind you). My point is that it may
be better to spend more than to regret it later.

Plan on adding some bar ends to your flat-bar bike if you plan on doing some
long miles.

On 9 Sep 2005 10:19:24 -0700, "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>** Doesn't seem to me like there's a necessary correlation between
>uprightness of
>position and bar type. **
>
>There probably isn't any, I think it is mostly the design of the frames
>meaning the overall geometry. I find that the geo of the hardtail mtb's
>and hybrid to be more to my liking, if I could find a road frame with
>this design I would buy it, but from my research most road bikes have
>much differnt geo than mtb's and hybrids.

Trek 1000"C" is that (awful) geometry. Sloping top tube. 4lbs heavier than
the Trek 1000.

jj

>** a hardtail
>with slicks **
>
>That is what my current ride is, but it is an old heavy ( boat anchor )
>steel frame.
>
>Ken

"Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ** >** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **
>
>>For the the more upright position.

> Not true. Sitting on my Trek 1000 holding the bar near the stem, I'm
> sitting up even -more- than on my Trek 7500fx. Much more.
>
> jj **
>
> Well perhaps you are right, I have not tried a Trek 1000.
>
> But it is also outside of my price range. I have set an upper limit of
> $470.00 plus tax.
>
> Ken

Ken--

I have road bikes with drop bars, and I have an Ibex Corrida, on which
I've installed a riser bar. The bars on all three are the same height as the
saddle. You can achieve that by swapping stems. I like the riser bar on the
Ibex for riding in town, just because I feel more aggressive riding it. The
riser bar(or flat bar) isn't really good for long distance, because there is
only one hand position.

Per Ken M:
>I like and can tolerate the more upright geometry that the hardtails
>give, which seems to be the same with the hybrids, but I like the
>lightweightness of a road bike.

Doesn't seem to me like there's a necessary correlation between uprightness of
position and bar type. Only that maybe bikes with drop bars come off the
shelf with less stem elevation... but that can be worked around.

I'm primarily an FS rider, and even my "road" (quotes bc it's just a hardtail
with slicks...) bike had risers on it.... but even I would opine that doing a
road ride on the hoods with drop bars at the same height as risers is going to
be significantly more comfortable after a couple of hours.
--
PeteCresswell

** The point I was trying to humorously make is that you've already
made your
decision, but, imo, based on spurious facts, Ken **

Well I haven't completely made my decision, but am heavily leaning
towards the 7300 hybrid.

** letting
half-baked truths influence your decision. **

by back is half baked.

** you've not even
bothered to test the reason for that **

I have two road bikes out in my garage right now that I have been
experimenting with for about a year now. Different bar heights,
different bar angles, different saddles, different saddle heights etc
etc etc and the closest I have come to comfortable puts the bars so
high it looks like a circus clowns bike!

** Did you ride in
the drops for an hour several times and then find it hurt your back?
Did
you ride on the hoods for an hour several times? **

I think I tried all of that. I tried different hand positions, riding
on the hoods, riding on the bar tops etc etc etc. DID I mention that I
injured by back twice in MV accidents? I, imho, think this may be part
of my problem.

** Fair enough? **

I will see if they have one in stock. Give it a try.

Ken

** Unless you're cash tight **

I can spend more, but on the other hand I don't want to spend more for
more bike that i don't need ' too much bike '

** adding some bar ends **

ah yes I have some on my hardtail now, but will probably buy nice new
shiney ones for the new bike.

Ken

Ken M wrote:
> ** Why get a flat-bar road bike? **
>
> For the the more upright position.
>
> ** Why not a Trek 1000? **
>
> My back doesn't like the drop bars that are on a 1000.
>
> Ken

IMO drop bars are superior for road riding... at least if you plan on
riding fair distances. There should be no problem getting them in the
right place... giving you that "more upright position" that you prefer.
You just need a stem with a good rise (and the shop should be happy to
swap this out for free) and maybe an uncut steerer tube on the fork.
Make sure that it feels comfortable when you are on the hoods. You can
reserve the drops for descents and headwinds.

** The
riser bar(or flat bar) isn't really good for long distance, because
there is
only one hand position. **

Yeah I found that when I started riding my current hardtail with flat
bar, I put some bar ends on it, now I can ride for hours with no hand
or wrist pain or discomfort.

Ken

** Also, that Trek 1000 is a comfort
bike, not an agressive road-racer bike. It has features built in for
your
style of riding. **

I looked at the Trek website and found the geometry for the 1000, it
still does not exactly have the geo of the hybrids.

Ken