HYBRIDS: Gary Fisher / Trek / Cannondale - Your Opinions Please

Matt

Guest
Hello everyone,

Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if you can give your opinion,
as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.

Based on the value for the money, and if you own any of these particular models, could you recommend
one over the other: Gary Fisher Utopia ~$620 @ my local bike store Trek 7300 ~$500 @ my local bike
store Cannondale Adventure 400 ~$500 @ my local bike store

Leaning toward the Gary Fisher but don't know if it is worth it or not. I will probably be on
pavement 80% and light trail 20%. I am a recreational rider who wants to ride more, and have a good
quality bike for a few years that I don't have to worry about. And, my primary concern is comfort.

Basically, if you've owned these bikes and can comment, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for any
inputs you may have! - Matt

General experience..

I'm a fairly new 'poster' here too..

I just bought 2 new hybrid bikes. I ended up with Trek 300's - my 1st choice would have been
Specialized deluxe (based on a little better components, and the front shock travel was more). My
issue: Specialized dealers would not match prices of Trek dealers. Comparing apples and apples, and
my riding style - mostly on road, fairly smooth rides - and when more bumpy roads, not racing, so my
analysis was that I did not need the shock / fork travel of the Specialized.

My suggestion: Really analyze the riding 'style' you do. Don't buy things you do not need. Then SHOP
for price. I called about 8 dealers in the San Jose area, and ended up buying my bikes at a store
called Reed's Sporting Goods. The first Trek 300 bike I bought (for $350) was $80 less than the
lowest priced Specialized Deluxe ($430 as I recall), and the 2nd bike I bought was $125 less than
Specialized due to buying a 2nd bike. The Trek bikes list for $450 - and some bike stores were
selling for $400). I put the money I saved into bike tools and now have all the tools I need to take
the bike apart down to the frame only (bike tool kit at REI for $65).

Before I bought, I took each bike our for an hour ride, trying to analyze what the differences were.
I would suggest you do this too - maybe you have?

Good luck on your purchase. You will enjoy any of these bikes.

sc

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello everyone,
>
> Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if
you
> can give your opinion, as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.
>
> Based on the value for the money, and if you own any of these particular models, could you
> recommend one over the other: Gary Fisher Utopia ~$620 @ my local bike store Trek 7300 ~$500 @ my
> local bike store Cannondale Adventure 400 ~$500 @ my local bike store
>
> Leaning toward the Gary Fisher but don't know if it is worth it or not. I will probably be on
> pavement 80% and light trail 20%. I am a recreational rider who wants to ride more, and have a
> good quality bike for a few years that I don't have to worry about. And, my primary concern is
> comfort.
>
> Basically, if you've owned these bikes and can comment, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for any
> inputs you may have! - Matt

I've got a Gary Fisher Wahoo MTB that I've hybridized by putting on slicks and adjusting the bar
postion. It's a great bike, nice strong frame, indexed shifting is neat. But to be honest I still
prefer by 25 year road bike for almost all my riding.

Check out Devinci...For the money, one of the best lines of hybrids out there! You can't beat that
crappy Canadian dollar. We've sold more of these this year than our Bianchi, fisher and Diamond back
hybrids combined. They're light weight, too, compared with the others.

CH

BTW; $700-$1100 gets you one of the two best hybrinds out there, the low end one (Stockholm) come is
in at $550 but are hard to get.

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello everyone,
>
> Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if you can give your
> opinion, as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.
>
> Based on the value for the money, and if you own any of these particular models, could you
> recommend one over the other: Gary Fisher Utopia ~$620 @ my local bike store Trek 7300 ~$500 @ my
> local bike store Cannondale Adventure 400 ~$500 @ my local bike store
>
> Leaning toward the Gary Fisher but don't know if it is worth it or not. I will probably be on
> pavement 80% and light trail 20%. I am a recreational rider who wants to ride more, and have a
> good quality bike for a few years that I don't have to worry about. And, my primary concern is
> comfort.
>
> Basically, if you've owned these bikes and can comment, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for any
> inputs you may have! - Matt

I don't know anything about these bikes, but would ask some hard quastions about comfort before
settling on one. One problem is that problems with comfort come in generally only after long rides.
For the past ten years I rode a Cannondale R500. I put almost 20,000 miles on the bike. It had a
very stiff aluminum frame. Tired of getting beat up, I recently bought a TREK 5200 with a
carbon-fiber frame. The difference in comfort was amazing. I friend of mine is considering a new
hybred. He will not touch aluminum, but is dismayed at the lack of hybrids with steel frames.

In article <[email protected]>, "Matt" <[email protected]> writes:

>Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if you can give your opinion,
>as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.

Why a hybrid? Why not a touring bike for the 80% road 20% "light trail" riding that you do?

The more serious you get the less comfortable that upright position will be.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

> Why a hybrid? Why not a touring bike for the 80% road 20% "light trail"
riding
> that you do?

*** Don't get talked out of what YOU want. I'm an older rider (50) and was having wrist problems on
my old MTB. Now I have front shocks, and love them, sit more upright - and love this (but will agree
it's not the most efficient position to get max power) - and I wear gloves.. now I ride pain free,
and I suppose the point is that we all ride and enjoy what we do. I like my Trek
300.. and enjoy riding again.

Scott

> The more serious you get the less comfortable that upright position will
be.

> Tom Gibb <[email protected]

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello everyone,
>
> Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if you can give your
> opinion, as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.
>
> Based on the value for the money, and if you own any of these particular models, could you
> recommend one over the other: Gary Fisher Utopia ~$620 @ my local bike store Trek 7300 ~$500 @ my
> local bike store Cannondale Adventure 400 ~$500 @ my local bike store
>
> Leaning toward the Gary Fisher but don't know if it is worth it or not. I will probably be on
> pavement 80% and light trail 20%. I am a recreational rider who wants to ride more, and have a
> good quality bike for a few years that I don't have to worry about. And, my primary concern is
> comfort.
>
> Basically, if you've owned these bikes and can comment, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for any
> inputs you may have! - Matt

I have the GF Fast City and I love it. It is one step up the GF hybrid food chain. Feel free to read
my review here

http://www.roadbikereview.com/2003,Hybrid,Bike/Gary,Fisher,Fast,City/PRD_139221_4340crx.aspx

I test rode Treks in my quest to purchase a hybrid. At the time I just felt the FC was faster and
handled better. I could not nail down why because I had not ridden a bike in almost 15 years. Now I
know why I love the GF bike building philosophy: excellent handling, light weight, great components
and the Genesis geometry really works. I ride 20% pavement and 80% light trail. It flies on both.
Excellent value too! My bike is VERY comfortable. I have no shoulder or back issues. I have grown so
accustomed to the saddle that if I get another GF I will purchase the same saddle. Yesterday I was
on a light trail and a road bike passed me. I hung behind him (drafting) until my turn off point.
Conversly, last week I tried to hang with a roadie and had to back off. The thing is my bike makes
me feel I can hang with anyone speed wise. Great wheels - same as Utopia. They are light and wear
like iron and after 800 miles (most since June)still no truing issues. I have really pushed the bike
in a few circumstances over challenging terrain and inclement weather and the GFFC handles it all
predictably and with stability. A couple weeks ago I got caught in a rainstorm on a trail. Twelve
miles over limestone, mud, and clay
- no problems. I would not want to do it everyday on this bike but its nice to know that the
capability is there. If you go with GF you will love its abilityto climb hills and smooth decents.
Sorry about the long message but I really love my bike and the GF thinking on bikes. Leave a
message as to your decision and why.

"Scott C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<tY2Ua.140405$Ph3.17906@sccrnsc04>...
> > Why a hybrid? Why not a touring bike for the 80% road 20% "light trail"
> riding
> > that you do?
>
> *** Don't get talked out of what YOU want. I'm an older rider (50) and was having wrist problems
> on my old MTB. Now I have front shocks, and love them, sit more upright - and love this (but will
> agree it's not the most efficient position to get max power) - and I wear gloves.. now I ride pain
> free, and I suppose the point is that we all ride and enjoy what we do. I like my Trek
> 300.. and enjoy riding again.
>
> Scott
>

> > The more serious you get the less comfortable that upright position will
> be.
> >
> > Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the three models the OP asked about. They all seem OK. I ride a
Marin and it is OK too.

But, three things became important to me as I put more and more miles on my hybrid.

1. Bar ends: The longer curved ones offer many hand positions and significantly increase comfort.
Plus, one can lean forward on them and ride in a less up-right position if desired. In
conjunction with installing the bar ends, I trimmed a couple of inches off the width of my handle
bars as they were quite wide.

2. Seat post: The shock absorbing seat post that came on my bike worked well, but I could not find
a comfortable tilt because it has rather coarse teeth for the tilt adjustment. I installed a
micro-adjusting, not shock absorbing seat post and found the ability to adjust the seat to a
comfortable tilt was more important then the shock absorbing feature.

3. Shock absorbing fork: For me, this was a waste of money and weight. I actually used one for a
season and put about 1000 miles on it before finalizing my decision to dump it. I ride mostly on
roads but do some trail and gravel path rides. I replaced the Rockshox Metro fork with an
inexpensive Tange Chrome molly steel fork with excellent results. I think the bike handles and
rides noticeably better now. It certainly is noticeably lighter. I can say that after 800 miles
with the Tange fork, I am completely happy with it. The nice wide (35mm) tires handle the bumps
and cracked pavement very well. For smooth pavement, I've got a set of "road" wheels. Thinner
(3i) tires on lighter, thinner rims (yes, I like to build wheels) give a firmer, but still
comfortable ride.

If you can find a decent hybrid without a shock absorbing front fork, I suggest you give it a
serious test ride before choosing. Marin makes both aluminum and steel frame models, for example:
http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_larkspur.html Others may as well.

It's not just a question of money, but total weight and handling are important factors to consider.
There will be a 2.5 to 3 pound penalty to pay for the shock absorbing fork. It is clearly worth it
to mountain bike riders, but I think road / city / path riders lose out. These forks are heavy,
costly fasion statements.

Finally, many people say get a touring bike, not a hybrid because if you like riding, you will
eventually want the touring bike anyway. Well, it may be true, but I say get the bike you are
comfortable with now. If after a year or two you decide something else will increase your enjoyment,
then you've got a perfect excuse to buy another bike. You will know much more about your riding
style and where you like to ride so you can make a very informed purchase. Or, just keep the hybrid;
they're not so bad.

Steve Shapiro [email protected]

Hi everyone, and thanks for the several posts back. I appreciate your inputs. Unfortunately, I was
hoping for someone who actually owned one or more of the below three models, especially the
Cannondale or Gary Fisher, as I am leading towards one of these two. I am going to purchase
something in the next day or two, so any other inputs greatly appreciated. I've test ridden the
bikes mentioned below - like the Gary Fisher best EXCEPT I'm not sure if the biggest 22.5" inch
frame is really big enough. I believe Trek and Cannondale make frames as large as 24-25" or XL/Jumbo
as in the case w/ the Cannondale I test rode. Strange thing is, the wheelbase on the Gary Fisher is
actually about an inch longer compared to the Cannondale. Being a tall guy, 6'4", I'm wondering if
any of you other tall bikers had the feeling that the GF Utopia was a little small? Again, your
posts welcome and appreciated...THANKS!
- Matt

Matt wrote:

like the Gary Fisher best EXCEPT I'm not
> sure if the biggest 22.5" inch frame is really big enough. I believe Trek and Cannondale make
> frames as large as 24-25" or XL/Jumbo as in the case
> w/ the

GF is owned by Trek so looking at the spec the GF hybrids all seem to be

appears in the UK). The GF models tend to have -slightly- lower spec components (like last season's
Trek suspension forks) but they do have

in the range than GF over here.

agreed, with the exception of the fast city, no trek hybrid has that long of a top tube, but at 900
dollars the fast city isn't nearly the value that the trek 7500fx is, same components, different
frame. I was ready to buy the fast city then rode the 7500fx. Both are excellent bikes. Wanted to
ride the cannon too, but nobody in my area carried the ones that I was interested in. I would check
out the Specialized Cirrus too, that looks like a nice bike.

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Matt wrote:
>
> like the Gary Fisher best EXCEPT I'm not
> > sure if the biggest 22.5" inch frame is really big enough. I believe Trek and Cannondale make
> > frames as large as 24-25" or XL/Jumbo as in the case
> > w/ the
>
> GF is owned by Trek so looking at the spec the GF hybrids all seem to be

it
> appears in the UK). The GF models tend to have -slightly- lower spec components (like last
> season's Trek suspension forks) but they do have

size
> in the range than GF over here.

Matt, I've had an Extra Large Gary Fisher Utopia for about 2 years now. I bought it for riding
around the neighborhood and doing moderate trail rides. Overall it is a good combination of
performance and comfort. I ended up using it in the MS150 ride from Houston to Austin (a 175 mile
ride over 2 days). For that ride I did change out the tires to some 700x23's. Overall it is a good
bike for the money.

After buying the bike I have found that I am spending all of my time on pavement and none on the
trails. Therefore, I am considering switching to a road bike. E-mail me if you would be interested
in my used GF Utopia.

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello everyone,
>
> Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if you can give your
> opinion, as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.
>
> Based on the value for the money, and if you own any of these particular models, could you
> recommend one over the other: Gary Fisher Utopia ~$620 @ my local bike store Trek 7300 ~$500 @ my
> local bike store Cannondale Adventure 400 ~$500 @ my local bike store
>
> Leaning toward the Gary Fisher but don't know if it is worth it or not. I will probably be on
> pavement 80% and light trail 20%. I am a recreational rider who wants to ride more, and have a
> good quality bike for a few years that I don't have to worry about. And, my primary concern is
> comfort.
>
> Basically, if you've owned these bikes and can comment, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for any
> inputs you may have! - Matt

A couple of comments:

I've owned several Cannondale bikes, including a H700 hybrid (late 90s model), T700 touring bike,
and an MTB. I've been happy with them all, and never really have felt that the aluminum frame has
been harsh (I also own/have owned steel bikes too). Comparing bikes objectively is pretty hard, as
even the slightest frame design can radically change the way the bike "feels" to different riders.
The best bet is to test ride all you are interested in, and see how they work for your body and
riding style. When comparing components, look at all the components, not just the obvious ones (like
rear derailleur). Often companies will put, say, an XT rear derailleur on a bike, but crummy
components elsewhere to save money. Go for overall quality, as it's easy to upgrade specific
components down the road.

I advise against shopping for PRICE, PRICE, PRICE as another poster mentioned. Find a shop that you
feel comfortable with and that gives you good SERVICE from competent salespeople/service people.
Whenever possible, give this shop your business and develop a relationship. You'll be amazed about
how useful such a relationship is in the long run (like when you come in needing a really quick
repair on a Saturday for that big Sunday ride, and they fix it then and there).

Finally, seriously consider looking for a used bike that fits your needs. Used bikes are great
values. I've only bought two bikes over the past 20 years new. Local bike clubs, classified
newspapers, and even Ebay (only buy it local) are good sources.

Brian W.

"Kelvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matt, I've had an Extra Large Gary Fisher Utopia for about 2 years now. I bought it for riding
> around the neighborhood and doing moderate trail rides. Overall it is a good combination of
> performance and comfort. I ended up using it in the MS150 ride from Houston to Austin (a 175 mile
> ride over 2 days). For that ride I did change out the tires to some 700x23's. Overall it is a good
> bike for the money.
>
> After buying the bike I have found that I am spending all of my time on pavement and none on the
> trails. Therefore, I am considering switching to a road bike. E-mail me if you would be interested
> in my used GF Utopia.
>

> "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Never posted in these newsgroups before -- I am a new biker wondering if
you
> > can give your opinion, as I am about to purchase a new hybrid bike.
> >
> > Based on the value for the money, and if you own any of these particular models, could you
> > recommend one over the other: Gary Fisher Utopia ~$620 @ my local bike store Trek 7300 ~$500 @
> > my local bike store Cannondale Adventure 400 ~$500 @ my local bike store
> >
> > Leaning toward the Gary Fisher but don't know if it is worth it or not.
> > will probably be on pavement 80% and light trail 20%. I am a
recreational
> > rider who wants to ride more, and have a good quality bike for a few
years
> > that I don't have to worry about. And, my primary concern is comfort.
> >
> > Basically, if you've owned these bikes and can comment, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for
> > any inputs you may have! - Matt

ive got one for sale its a full suspention gary fisher joshua X1, im in orlando email me at
[email protected] if your intrested... Its fully loaded asking $550 which is a hell of a deal
and i can take pics, reasion for selling is that i baught a custom bike made out of carbon fiber.
let me know asap ill be putting it in the local paper soon. thanks