Hyd disc question

Geir Eivind Mork

Guest
I'm building a all mountain-bike, and I'm not sure what disc breaks that
suits this cross between XC and Freeride. Weight is not the issue, but
it's a concern. the Magura Gustav might be the best when it comes to
stopping power, but I think it's quite an overkill for a ca 28 lbs / 13
kg bike (and I'm 168 lbs)

I've been considering the mono mini, but i hear alot about discs that
get twisted due to heat and I'm not about replacing parts regulary just
because of bad design. Any I should consider more?

Geir Eivind Mork wrote:
> I'm building a all mountain-bike, and I'm not sure what disc breaks
> that suits this cross between XC and Freeride. Weight is not the
> issue, but it's a concern. the Magura Gustav might be the best when
> it comes to stopping power, but I think it's quite an overkill for a
> ca 28 lbs / 13 kg bike (and I'm 168 lbs)
>
> I've been considering the mono mini, but i hear alot about discs that
> get twisted due to heat and I'm not about replacing parts regulary
> just because of bad design. Any I should consider more?

You hear the bad stories because all the good ones go unnoticed. Go with
whatever's cheap and available and brand-name.

The Avid Juicy series are painfully powerful and feel really good... Give
'em a nice squeeze... Feel the power... Feel the smooth curves... Ogle the
glistening rotors... Just don't let your SO catch you.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Per Geir Eivind Mork:
>but I think it's quite an overkill for a ca 28 lbs / 13
>kg bike (and I'm 168 lbs)

I'd say that a hydraulic on the front is a good idea because of the additional
modulation, but on the rear it's overkill.

I've got a 180mm Hope C2 hydraulic on the front and a 160mm Avid mech on the
rear. Had a C2 on the rear at one time, don't notice any diff between it and
the mech. Tried swapping the hydraulic for a mech on the front and found a big
diff... went back to the hydraulic.
--
PeteCresswell

"Geir Eivind Mork" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm building a all mountain-bike, and I'm not sure what disc breaks that
> suits this cross between XC and Freeride. Weight is not the issue, but
> it's a concern. the Magura Gustav might be the best when it comes to
> stopping power, but I think it's quite an overkill for a ca 28 lbs / 13 kg
> bike (and I'm 168 lbs)
>
> I've been considering the mono mini, but i hear alot about discs that get
> twisted due to heat and I'm not about replacing parts regulary just
> because of bad design. Any I should consider more?

I'm riding the Mono Mini 160's on front and rear, and wouldn't want to
change.
Their light, look good, and work just fine.

As Squidly said, its' the bad stories you hear about, not the good ones.
Go with what you like...

Drew