Hydrapak bladders?

Slacker

Guest
Just tried today for the fist time. First impressions are not good. The
bite valve is so sensitive that any pressure on it will make it **** like
a 1 year old.

Then at the end of the day, I noticed the bottom of my jersey was wet. I
assumed the tube to bladder connection was leaking, but after looking at
it closer, it looks like the water came right out of the top of the
bladder. Yes, I closed it properly... A to A, B to B, and C to C then
Velcro close.

Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

--
Slacker

Sounds like you have a Blackburn hydrasack. Although they are good in the
fact that they do not have a smell to the bag overall I was not happy with
mine. I had a camalbak before it and I went back to the camalbak bladder,
although it does have a weird taste to it due to the rubber I prefer it over
the Blackburn. No leaks and the bite valve is great no leaks either. I
found the blackburn bite valve to be too hard it isn't the soft rubber that
camalbak makes.

Just tried today for the fist time. First impressions are not good. The
bite valve is so sensitive that any pressure on it will make it **** like
a 1 year old.

Then at the end of the day, I noticed the bottom of my jersey was wet. I
assumed the tube to bladder connection was leaking, but after looking at
it closer, it looks like the water came right out of the top of the
bladder. Yes, I closed it properly... A to A, B to B, and C to C then
Velcro close.

Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

--
Slacker

Slacker says:

>Pessimist :)

You say that as though it were a bad thing... I'm an incurable pessimist, and
am always having nice surprises. My wife is an optimist, and her surprises are
always bad.
Go figure!

Steve

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<opsfzyjczgm83lxu@slacker>...
> Just tried today for the fist time. First impressions are not good. The
> bite valve is so sensitive that any pressure on it will make it **** like
> a 1 year old.
> Then at the end of the day, I noticed the bottom of my jersey was wet. I
> assumed the tube to bladder connection was leaking, but after looking at
> it closer, it looks like the water came right out of the top of the
> bladder. Yes, I closed it properly... A to A, B to B, and C to C

then

> Velcro close.
>
> Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

I've had one for about two years, and the bladder has worked well for
me. Never had any problems with it leaking out the top, even when
leaving it lying down. It hasn't developed any bad tastes, but I've
never put anything other than water in it. I've fallen on it a few
times and it didn't burst, but it did develop a leak on the bottom
seam. I was able to heat-seal it by ironing it between two pieces of
aluminum foil. I don't like the valve- I finally got used to it, but
now it has a crack. Should be easy to replace with a better one.

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

Yup. I was given a hydrapak. Same experience. I believe I can't get
more than 50oz into a 70oz sack prior to leakage. Also, the bite
valve needs extreme care during transport (so do all bite valves).

Slacker wrote:
> Just tried today for the fist time. First impressions are not good.
> The bite valve is so sensitive that any pressure on it will make it
> **** like a 1 year old.
>
> Then at the end of the day, I noticed the bottom of my jersey was
> wet. I assumed the tube to bladder connection was leaking, but after
> looking at it closer, it looks like the water came right out of the
> top of the bladder. Yes, I closed it properly... A to A, B to B, and
> C to C then Velcro close.
>
> Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

Never really had much of a problem with the bladder leaking unless I leave
it on it's side, full, for long periods of time.
The bite valve does leak easily. I replaced it with another brand valve -
not sure what it was but it _wasnt_ a camelbak valve.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<opsfzyjczgm83lxu@slacker>...
> Just tried today for the fist time. First impressions are not good. The
>

> bite valve is so sensitive that any pressure on it will make it **** lik
>
> a 1 year old.
>
> Then at the end of the day, I noticed the bottom of my jersey was wet. I
>

> assumed the tube to bladder connection was leaking, but after looking at
>

> it closer, it looks like the water came right out of the top of the
>
> bladder. Yes, I closed it properly... A to A, B to B, and C to C then
>
> Velcro close.
>
> Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

I had one a couple of yeasr ago. It was the roll top velcro closure,
100 oz that i bought in australia.
The bladder itself was made of some kind of nylon like mesh on one
side, which amazingly wasn't actually waterproof, so the water sweated
right through the side of the bladder and soaked the bag. then the
zips all broke on the bag and i resigned to never buying another
hydrapack product.

cheers

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:17:12 GMT, Chris Phillipo

>> > The bite valve is so sensitive that any pressure on it will make it
>> > **** like a 1 year old.
>> >
>> > Then at the end of the day, I noticed the bottom of my jersey was
>> > wet. I assumed the tube to bladder connection was leaking, but after
>> > looking at it closer, it looks like the water came right out of the
>> > top of the bladder. Yes, I closed it properly... A to A, B to B, and
>> > C to C then Velcro close.
>> >
>> > Anyone one have any experience with these bladders?

> Does it leak even when you have the valve shut off?

Shut-off, what shut-off?

Ended up just returning it. Time to try out a Dakine. If that leaks, then
at least I'll be satisfied that there is no viable C-Bak replacement.
--
Slacker

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:53:57 -0700, Slacker wrote:

> Ended up just returning it. Time to try out a Dakine. If that leaks, then
> at least I'll be satisfied that there is no viable C-Bak replacement.

After having ridden my last ride drenched down the backside by yet another
leaky camelbak bladder, I'm not sure they're all so viable either.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

On 23 Oct 2004 21:27:21 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:53:57 -0700, Slacker wrote:
>
>> Ended up just returning it. Time to try out a Dakine. If that leaks,
>> then
>> at least I'll be satisfied that there is no viable C-Bak replacement.

> After having ridden my last ride drenched down the backside by yet
> another
> leaky camelbak bladder, I'm not sure they're all so viable either.

Exactly why I'm trying to find a substitute :-(

Dang C-bak, why don't they just bring back the old screw caps because the
new ones *S U C K*!!!!

--
Slacker

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:22:59 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <opsgapz7h3m83lxu@slacker>, [email protected] says...
>> Shut-off, what shut-off?
>>
>> Ended up just returning it. Time to try out a Dakine. If that leaks,
>> the=
>> n =
>>
>> at least I'll be satisfied that there is no viable C-Bak replacement.
>> -- =
>>
>> Slacker
>>

> There is a shut off on all Hydrapaks, if it had the old blue valve on it
> you twist the center, if it had the soft "chewable" valve then it had a
> push-pull valve. That's if it was a Hydrapak and not a Camelbak or
> something else.

I'm not that familiar with their stuff, but it was the (too) EasyFloâ„¢ Bite
Valve. Looks like they sell a shut-off valve separately according to
http://www.hydrapak.com/accessories.html

--
Slacker