Hydrapak or bottle

Super Otaku said:
Hi everyone.
I don't know which one should I get, a hydration pak or a water
bottle?
So I need help with you guys. Give some advantages and
disadvantages of the products. And vote the pole to tell me what
you have.

you can get a 2L pak from wal-mart for $20 usd.
plus you can put some tools and food in there, theres no reason not to have one for a long ride.

I personally ride with 3L, got some tools in there, a box of granola bars, bag of beef jerky, some tubes, for a 4-8 hour ride it is very convenient.
The bag doesn't effect my riding too much, but it is a good idea to get one with chest and waist straps, otherwise it will bounce up into the back of your head while jumping.

Also when i go hiking it is better than a bottle.

i vote for the camelpak (rouge) IT HAS 2 LITER capacity and a few small cargo spaces, i keep poewr bar/tools in.. id rather have the slight extra weight on my back than on the bike and i find its a pain in the a-- to reach for bottles when riding technical trails or ruffer terrain..

I have used bottles before, but I now strictly use camelbak (blowfish). I would highly recommend camelbak as it holds water plus all the other necessities while riding cross country. In a hindsight, I would get the camelbak mule vs. blowfish. Mule is a little smaller, but lighter than blowfish.

jessevan said:
I prefer the hydrapak, but most of the time I have a camera bag on my back, so I use a bottle.

Can I ask which camera bag you use? I would love to ride with my fine digital rebel more comfortably.

Ive heard all the hype about Camelbacks, but I still use a water bottle... I dunno if its just cuz I fill it up too much or put it on wrong, but I cant seem to set it up so it dosent leak... or its too old or something... regaurdless I just carry a water bottle... I would say calmel backs even weigh more than one water bottle.

Depends on what sort of rides i'm going for. If it's the full day off road enduro then it has to be the camelbak. But i don't like to have a load on my back when i ride and 2.5L of water, tools and food doesn't weigh like a feather.

I use a bottle for my normal daily rides though.

origanic said:
Not only do I use it for biking, but to be honest, I carry is all over with me!

I agree. Have some sunblock, insect repellant, compass, rudimentary first aid (couple bandannas, few band-aids, anticeptic wipes, matches and Aspirin) a bit of $$$, a couple energy bars, and a Toe Peak multi-tool that even has a knife and bottle opener. Going on a hike, just grab my hydration pack and I have the basics covered.

Cheers,
Juba

I use both,Mountain biking definitly pack road ridding definitly bottle.
Thats probable not what you wanted to hear but with a pack you will
drink more because of the easy assesability and keeping your consintration
on the trail.On the road you have alot more time to reach down to grab your
bottle and pluss and a real pluss is you will keep that weigh off your upper
body.hope this helps.
Brownie

I don't know which one should I get, a hydration pak or a water
Both. Water bottles are cheap. Get at least 2. Get some sort of hydration system as well. I use a Camelbak Mule. I go through a liter an hour in the summer so a hydration pack is a necessity. I often times fill my water bottle with Accelerade if I will be out for more than 2 or 3 hours.

The pack is nice because you can carry tools, tubes, a pump, food etc. The only way I would go with just a bottle is if your rides are 1 hour or less.

My two cents...

Camelbak all the way! I'm an MTBr and it's a lifesaver. Who's got time to stop when you're going down a hill with your hair on fire (metaphor...since I'm bald) to grab your bottle? I've got the Lobo with a 70oz bladder, but will probably upgrade to the 100oz.

Plus you can ask your biking friend (in a crowd of non-bikers) if his bladder's full! Watch the looks! (dork)

Camelbak all the way!!!

Jim

Both!

Although for MTB rides I use my hydration pack. It's just eaiser to drink from and keep riding...I don't think I'd fare too well trying to use bottles over singletrack :)

On the road I use bottles, just to keep the pack from making me sweat more.