Hydrate and die

Lindsay Rowlands wrote:

>Richard Ney <[email protected]> wrote:
>: New York Times May 6, 2003 New Advice to Runners: Don't Drink the Water By GINA KOLATA
>

>This certainly isn't news. Knowledge of hypnotremia has been around for a while. Put the term in a
>Google search for over 21,000 hits.
>
>I'm not trying to be a knowledge chauvinist in any shape or form. It's just that this topic comes
>up from time to time in this very newsgroup and has had a fair run. To see it framed as the latest
>news is evidence of the sensational nature of the popular press.
>
>It seems one would have to really work hard at drinking water to develop water
>toxicity/hypnotremia, so, for most of us it's a non-issue. Just use common sense with hydration and
>nutrition.
>
>Cheerz, Lynzz

Some people work at it that hard. I think it's a sign that we're forgetting how to live in the real
world. It's only recently that hydration hysteria has taken hold where adherents must take a drink
every few minutes -- perhaps in between counting their heartbeats, checking their sunblock and
changing their bike computer settings. Physical activity which was once a common part of everyday
life is now seen as technical and inherently dangerous. So we compartmentalize it and we need
special techniques potions and strategies as we "go into battle". The mantra goes: "If you're
thirsty it's already too late". Or: "You can't drink too much water" - Let's recognize where the
sensationalism lies.

"Paul J Pharr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Oops! It's not exactly a word I use regularly and often my fingers type their own versions and
> > letter patterns.
>
> My keyboard dyslexic is too...{;-)

explaining a mistake in a message I described the problem as having "laxzy" fingers.

In article <[email protected]>,
John Albergo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some people work at it that hard. I think it's a sign that we're forgetting how to live in the
> real world. It's only recently that hydration hysteria has taken hold where adherents must take a
> drink every few minutes -- perhaps in between counting their heartbeats, checking their sunblock
> and changing their bike computer settings.

ROTFL! Sad but true.

> Physical activity which was once a common part of everyday life is now seen as technical and
> inherently dangerous.

That's exactly right. Thus we need a Camelbak, flatproof tires, impotence prevention saddle, body
armor, rear view mirror and a follow car to ride 10 miles on the road- or an SUV to take us and our
bikes to the trail head.

> So we compartmentalize it and we need special techniques potions and strategies as we "go into
> battle". The mantra goes: "If you're thirsty it's already too late". Or: "You can't drink too much
> water" - Let's recognize where the sensationalism lies.

When I ride my bike to work all of 6 miles, people are astonished. When I tell them I rode 133 miles
last Saturday, they can't even believe it.