Hydration - A cautionary, topical tale

Mike the Unshavable

Guest
I've been a cyclist for getting on for 40 years - I've done my fair share
of audaxing, touring and commuting (but only raced twice).
I've never, ever drunk enough.
I battled on through the heat, with the bare minimum of fluid on board -
surely dark concentrated urine is the sign of a real man ;)

Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't ever
wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although thinking about
some of the drivers I've come across.....)

Among the questions the A&E doc asked me were "do you, or have, you taken
part in endurance sports?" - yup; "worked in a hot environment?" - yup.
So, I'm off the bike, and off the bike waiting to see if it's true that
all things do come to pass - and occasionally going "OUCH! that smarts!"

So as it is writ by the masters (Velocio?) - Drink before you are
thirsty!

There's a wealth of advice written on fluid and electrolyte balance and
intake while cycling any serious distance - if only I'd paid attention!

Mike

> Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't
> ever wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although
> thinking about some of the drivers I've come across.....)

I went from your post to this (without realising I'd changed threads):

"It could be an over-tight cone, deformed balls, a knackered cone or a
pitted/cracked cup. You won't really know until you've taken it apart
and cleaned it up."

!!

--
Mark

Mike the Unshavable <[email protected]>typed

> I've been a cyclist for getting on for 40 years - I've done my fair share
> of audaxing, touring and commuting (but only raced twice).
> I've never, ever drunk enough.
> I battled on through the heat, with the bare minimum of fluid on board -
> surely dark concentrated urine is the sign of a real man ;)

> Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't ever
> wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although thinking about
> some of the drivers I've come across.....)

> Among the questions the A&E doc asked me were "do you, or have, you taken
> part in endurance sports?" - yup; "worked in a hot environment?" - yup.
> So, I'm off the bike, and off the bike waiting to see if it's true that
> all things do come to pass - and occasionally going "OUCH! that smarts!"

> So as it is writ by the masters (Velocio?) - Drink before you are
> thirsty!

> There's a wealth of advice written on fluid and electrolyte balance and
> intake while cycling any serious distance - if only I'd paid attention!

> Mike

Get well soon!

You certainly need to make sure you drink enough.

However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
out the hard way which you were...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> writed in
news:[email protected]:

>> Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't
>> ever wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although
>> thinking about some of the drivers I've come across.....)

> I went from your post to this (without realising I'd changed threads):
>
> "It could be an over-tight cone, deformed balls, a knackered cone or a
> pitted/cracked cup. You won't really know until you've taken it apart
> and cleaned it up."
>
> !!

That pretty much sums it up!

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
> out the hard way which you were...

Is there an easy way?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

Don Whybrow <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> >
> > However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
> > out the hard way which you were...
> >

> Is there an easy way?

Some stone formers have others in the family and their blood
biochemistry may show some abnormalities.

--

Don Whybrow wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> >
> > However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
> > out the hard way which you were...
> >

> Is there an easy way?

Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
(acid) rain in no time...

sothach wrote:

> Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> (acid) rain in no time...

Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

--
Dave...

"dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed

> sothach wrote:

> > Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> > (acid) rain in no time...

> Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

Your body will keep your blood pH very close to 7.4 in health, whatever
you eat...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> sothach wrote:
>
> > Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> > (acid) rain in no time...

> Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

Vinegar? Ptui!

Heathen.

Me, I wanna be an anglepoise lamp, yeah!

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > sothach wrote:
> >
> > > Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> > > (acid) rain in no time...

> > Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

> Vinegar? Ptui!
>
> Heathen.

Excellent with Brussels sprouts. :)

--
Dave...

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed
>

> > sothach wrote:

> > > Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> > > (acid) rain in no time...

> > Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

> Your body will keep your blood pH very close to 7.4 in health, whatever
> you eat...

It's more the acidity of the urine that's in question, isn't it? Hence
sothatch's recommendation of drinking kettle de-scaler for dissolving
kidney stones. However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:

> However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
Kettle de-scaler also?

Blonde wrote:

> I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> Kettle de-scaler also?

I always thought that it was acetic acid...
--
Regards
Alex

Alex Potter wrote:
> Blonde wrote:
>
> > I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> > Kettle de-scaler also?

> I always thought that it was acetic acid...
> --
> Regards
> Alex
> The From address above is a spam-trap.
> The Reply-To address is valid

You are correct - it is acid.

In article <[email protected]>
Blonde <[email protected]> wrote:

> dkahn400 wrote:
>
> > However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> > site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> > the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

> I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> Kettle de-scaler also?

Vinegar is basically dilute acetic acid, and kettle descaler is often
citric acid.

In article <[email protected]>
dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> > > Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

> > Your body will keep your blood pH very close to 7.4 in health, whatever
> > you eat...

> It's more the acidity of the urine that's in question, isn't it? Hence
> sothatch's recommendation of drinking kettle de-scaler for dissolving
> kidney stones. However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

Whether or not that's the case, is it really relevant when you consider
that our stomachs produce their own hydrochloric acid?

"Blonde" <[email protected]>typed

> dkahn400 wrote:

> > However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> > site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> > the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

> I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> Kettle de-scaler also?

Organic acids are 'weak' and their sodium salts are alkaline.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Rob Morley <[email protected]>typed

> In article <[email protected]>
> Blonde <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > dkahn400 wrote:
> >
> > > However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> > > site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> > > the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

> > I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> > Kettle de-scaler also?
> >

> Vinegar is basically dilute acetic acid, and kettle descaler is often
> citric acid.

Some descalers are sulphamic acid, some are citric acid.
Acetic acid will also do the job.

--

dkahn400 wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>[email protected] says...

>>>Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

>>Vinegar? Ptui!
>>
>>Heathen.

> Excellent with Brussels sprouts. :)

and swede.