hydration on long rides

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
just wondering what people do on long unsupported rides for hydration... say 60 to 100 miles
bottles? hydration pack? hydration tablets?

I usually carry two bottles. I don't exactly ride in the middle of nowhere, so I refill as needed.

I also have a hydration pack but I don't use it.

rparedes said:
just wondering what people do on long unsupported rides for hydration... say 60 to 100 miles
bottles? hydration pack? hydration tablets?

I carry 3 water bottles and refill them as needed. Hydration tablets do nothing for hydration because they can't make water appear out of nothingness. To hydrate you have to take in water/fluid.

alienator said:
I carry 3 water bottles and refill them as needed. Hydration tablets do nothing for hydration because they can't make water appear out of nothingness. To hydrate you have to take in water/fluid.

is your third bottle mounted on your saddle rail or seat post?

rparedes said:
is your third bottle mounted on your saddle rail or seat post?

Neither. I put the third bottle in one of my jersey pockets (er, on my back).

I use the Profile Design "aquarack" for long summer rides where I'm out for more than 2.5 hours in the heat and there's no water. 2 bottles on the frame and two behind the seatpost. I normally wrap the bottles behind the seatpost in aluminum foil to help keep them cooler - works rather well which is good because I don't care for warm Perpetuem.

Although I don't really like the aquarack, I prefer it to carrying bottles in the back pocket.

2-bottles work great for me. And I usually only go through one. I fill one bottle with ice water and the other with only powder, Fluid Recovery" drink. I rarely finish the first bottle before the end of the ride. Then after we finish, I fill of the 2nd bottle with the powder and down it rather quickly. I presume it varies depending on how much your body requires.

Another option, although not my favorite, is the camelback system. You wear a water bladder on your back and drink through a mouthpiece connected by a tube. They're very popular in the military and can be found and most sporting goods stores.

Deafwolf said:
2-bottles work great for me. And I usually only go through one. I fill one bottle with ice water and the other with only powder, Fluid Recovery" drink. I rarely finish the first bottle before the end of the ride. Then after we finish, I fill of the 2nd bottle with the powder and down it rather quickly. I presume it varies depending on how much your body requires.

Another option, although not my favorite, is the camelback system. You wear a water bladder on your back and drink through a mouthpiece connected by a tube. They're very popular in the military and can be found and most sporting goods stores.

How long are your rides that you're only finishing one bottle (I'm assuming you're using 24 oz bottles)?

I ride a lot places where finding a store may be a problem or I just don't want to be bothered stopping.

Short trips to 60 miles I take 2 or 3 24 oz bottles, the 3rd on the bars using a Minoura cage and bracket on the road bikes, or a 3rd bottle on the 3rd frame bottle mount on the touring bike. Longer rides over 60 miles add a 70oz Camelbak Rogue. This will last me about 6 to 7 hours. When I ride over 100 miles I'll add to all the above the Minoura onto the touring bike's handlebar, add a handlebar bag and put 1 or 2 bottles in it.

I usually use two water bottles mounted on the bike and fill them as needed. Nearly all of my longer rides are through areas that have natural springs so refilling them is not a big issue. If I decide to ride out of the valley, then I plan my route to pass stores or parks that have water facilities.

Chavez said:
I usually carry two bottles. I don't exactly ride in the middle of nowhere, so I refill as needed.

Me too.
2 x 1litre bottles.

I sweat a huge amount, so fluid replenishment is essential for me
on the longer spins.

alienator said:
How long are your rides that you're only finishing one bottle (I'm assuming you're using 24 oz bottles)?

The weather has been quite awesome in southern CA. My rides usually go 32-34 miles. I should probably be drinking more often, but I usually just keep going. I definitely consume a lot after the ride, but never so much that I end up bloated or anything. I even urinate after the ride a normal color. I do tend to hydrate before and throughout the day as well. And yes, I use a 24 oz bottle in the front cage.

Deafwolf said:
The weather has been quite awesome in southern CA. My rides usually go 32-34 miles. I should probably be drinking more often, but I usually just keep going. I definitely consume a lot after the ride, but never so much that I end up bloated or anything. I even urinate after the ride a normal color. I do tend to hydrate before and throughout the day as well. And yes, I use a 24 oz bottle in the front cage.

Please read this, it's long but good. see: CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS -

On my daily commute of 15 miles I often don't bother wikth carryin g a water bottle, as it only takes me an hour, after whuch I have a drink at home or at work.

My Sunday medium rides of 25-50 miles, I would fill one or two 500ml bottles (I don't knowe if that equates to 24 oz, but it probably does).

On longer rides I start with two filled bottles, and then refill them at shops or cafes along the route, sometimes with drinks powder such as SIS. We don't have deserts over here.:)

Lycra Man