Hydration & Osmolality Facts

speedyg

May 19, 2004
The "Osmolality" refers to the concentration in liquid of sodium, sugar, and to a lesser extent, other electrolytes. The body has a normal osmolality concentration of these substances at a level of about 280. So a fluid that contains a higher concentration of sugar and electrolytes relative to the human body is said to be "hypertonic". (Most every popular Sports Drink on the market is nothing more than over-sugared water, pushing the Osmolality above proper levels, well above 330 for most off the shelf products). As such, a hypertonic solution draws fluid out of the body and into the gut for dilution. This actually worsens dehydration!! Though the body eventually secretes enough water into the intestines to dilute and absorb these hypertonic solutions, the temporary water shift into the gut can expose a person to cramping and sluggishness.

It is critical to select a product which is lower in Osmolality than that of the body. (200-220). With a lower Osmolality, the formula is emptied quickly from the gut for absorption into the tissues, which nourishes working cells.

There is one company (that I know of ) that gurantees the Osmolality factor to be within the 200-220 range, Q-Pro Products. If you would like the link, please email me at [email protected], or do a search on yahoo.

Speedyg

Originally posted by speedyg
The "Osmolality" refers to the concentration in liquid of sodium, sugar, and to a lesser extent, other electrolytes. The body has a normal osmolality concentration of these substances at a level of about 280. So a fluid that contains a higher concentration of sugar and electrolytes relative to the human body is said to be "hypertonic". (Most every popular Sports Drink on the market is nothing more than over-sugared water, pushing the Osmolality above proper levels, well above 330 for most off the shelf products). As such, a hypertonic solution draws fluid out of the body and into the gut for dilution. This actually worsens dehydration!! Though the body eventually secretes enough water into the intestines to dilute and absorb these hypertonic solutions, the temporary water shift into the gut can expose a person to cramping and sluggishness.

It is critical to select a product which is lower in Osmolality than that of the body. (200-220). With a lower Osmolality, the formula is emptied quickly from the gut for absorption into the tissues, which nourishes working cells.

There is one company (that I know of ) that gurantees the Osmolality factor to be within the 200-220 range, Q-Pro Products. If you would like the link, please email me at [email protected], or do a search on yahoo.

Speedyg

Tried QProProducts hydration formula when I was in Florida at a Duathalon. Loved it but think only the pro athletes get it 'cause I can't find it in stores. I'd like to get some more. Any ideas?

Do a search in google or yahoo for Qproproducts Sports Nutrition. You should be able to order from their website.

Originally posted by speedyg

Speedyg

Hey,

I've got an idea...

Since I work for/am sponsored by a sports 'nutrition' company, why don't I post about their products on the net and increase my bonus by selling more product?

Yeah, good one, we can make the post include some pseudo-scientific sounding stuff, and then people will fall for it straight away.

Oh, and then I can pipe up too and claim that I really love the product and ask where to find it!

Brilliant...

Noone need ever know.

Hey Scum,

I've got a very good idea. Do the research on Osmolality before you come back with such a silly post. By the way, who's your sponsor, Preparation H?

Originally posted by Roadie_scum
Hey,

I've got an idea...

Since I work for/am sponsored by a sports 'nutrition' company, why don't I post about their products on the net and increase my bonus by selling more product?

Yeah, good one, we can make the post include some pseudo-scientific sounding stuff, and then people will fall for it straight away.

Oh, and then I can pipe up too and claim that I really love the product and ask where to find it!

Brilliant...

Noone need ever know.