Hydration solution for a small (43cm) road bike

kaian

Aug 22, 2004
I have a WSD Trek 43cm. I love the bike, but what I have noticed is while I can mount two water bottle cages, I can't fit a water bottle in the cage mounted on the seat tube because it's so short. The bottle I tried is a smaller bottle (20 oz I think) and it still won't fit. I know there is one obvious solution (hydration pack), but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions or ways I am not aware of to mount an additional cage to my bike somewhere.

I am currently working myself up to a 54 mile ride I am doing in July and after that, I want to continue increasing my mileage, so obviously, hydration is important. The place where I do my long rides has parks all along it with access to water, so I am able to re-fill bottles if necessary and many of my long rides will be at that location or at organized rides where fluids are readily available. So...I think I could get away with 2 bottles if I can figure out where to put that second bottle. :)

I have a 44cm Fuji and had the same problem. I've found a streamline bottle that fits into that rear cage. Its made by Tacx (they have a really slick web site http://www.tacx.nl/)
Its shorter and a little fatter than any other bottle I've been able to find so it fits in without hitting the brake cable and holds 16oz/500ml. The only thing I didn't like is that all of this model that I found in my LBS were pro-logo and I'm not into logo merchandise.

I've found quite a variation in the cages themselves. By trying different ones, I was able to fit 2 30oz. bottles on my mtn frame.
Also I remember taking a file and lengthening the two mounting hole which allowed the cage to fit lower and clear the top tube.

Hope this helps!

I sort of had the same issue with my Trek Foil frame - it had a mount for a bottle cage, but was hard to get to.

Fixed that with a solution that should work for you, a seatpost cage. Holds two water bottles, and they're a bit easier to get to. Profile makes a nice one.

kaian said:
I have a WSD Trek 43cm. I love the bike, but what I have noticed is while I can mount two water bottle cages, I can't fit a water bottle in the cage mounted on the seat tube because it's so short. The bottle I tried is a smaller bottle (20 oz I think) and it still won't fit. I know there is one obvious solution (hydration pack), but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions or ways I am not aware of to mount an additional cage to my bike somewhere.

I am currently working myself up to a 54 mile ride I am doing in July and after that, I want to continue increasing my mileage, so obviously, hydration is important. The place where I do my long rides has parks all along it with access to water, so I am able to re-fill bottles if necessary and many of my long rides will be at that location or at organized rides where fluids are readily available. So...I think I could get away with 2 bottles if I can figure out where to put that second bottle. :)

Three suggestions that I like better than the hydration pack since you can use standard bottles.

1. Behind the saddle bottle cage mount. A few brands are available in single or double cage mount. One caveat is to use high quality cages or else bottles will fly out when you hit hard bumps or go over railroad tracks. This type of mount also precludes using a saddle mounted pack, however. An example can be seen at the following link to profile design. http://www.profile-design.com/product_pages/hydration/hydro_aquarack.html

2. Handlebar bottle cage mounts. Minoura makes a couple of different models that allows mounting an extra cage anywhere . My personal favorite mounted the bottle right in front of the stem. Caveat here is it only works for 25.4 or 26.0mm bars (not the newer 31.8mm) and also interferes with using a handlebar bag. These are cheap (less than $10) and available at most shops or online.

3. A more conventional third suggestion is the hard to find side entrance water bottle cages designed specifically for small frames such as yours. I know of ones made by Louis Garneau and Ciussi (available online from AirBomb or Alfred E Bike). I have no idea how well these work, but this would allow normal use of saddle and handlebar bags.

This gives me some great options to consider! Thanks! I am currently looking at a mount that goes behind the seat made by Minoura. I think it will give me enough space to put 2 water bottles while still being able to clamp my seat wedge on, too.

Now I think I am leaning towards a side entry cage with a smaller bottle - maybe a Tacx 500ml bottle would work. Has anyone tried the side entry cages? Do they hold the bottles in well?

Not sure if they're made anymore, but Performance used to make something called a "Pocket Monsoon". It was a flat, plastic, flask-like thing that would hold around 20 oz of water and fit perfectly in a center jersey pocket. I've got two of them, and they're useful in a pinch when you need extra water and there's nowhere to refill.