Hydration Systems and Bents

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bent Ryder, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Bent Ryder

    Bent Ryder Guest

    Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback that I used while commuting
    on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if there is a pack or bladder system that works
    better than others for this type of bike. I have been strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my seat.
    The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to get to while riding and the pack has to be
    squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice will be considered and
    appreciated.

    Robin Haas RANS V-Rex

    Tags:

  2. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bent Ryder) wrote:

    > Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback that I used while commuting
    > on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if there is a pack or bladder system that works
    > better than others for this type of bike. I have been strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my
    > seat. The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to get to while riding and the pack has to
    > be squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice will be considered and
    > appreciated.

    FastBack has a bag that will fit your RANS seat. I'm using it on the similar Bachetta seat and
    am happy with it. It straps the waterbladder up against the seat and has a separate tool bag
    at the top.

    http://www.fastbacksystem.com/fastbacksystem.htm

    -Carl

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Bent Ryder wrote:

    > Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback that I used while commuting
    > on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if there is a pack or bladder system that works
    > better than others for this type of bike. I have been strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my
    > seat. The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to get to while riding and the pack has to
    > be squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice will be considered and
    > appreciated.

    I found potable water rated PVC tubing that was the same internal and external diameter as the
    Camelback tubing at my local hardware store for $0.17/foot. The longer hose allowed me to mount my
    Camelback Pakteen to the top of the rear rack on my RANS Rocket.

  4. You just keep popping up all over the place.

    I have a backpack attached to the back of my Vision R-50. When I head out for the longer rides I
    drop my Camelbak UnBottle 100 into the back pack.

    It works for me. You can stop by my office and I will show you how I have the backpack set up. It
    allows me a fair amount of storage space.

    Drop me a line at work and set up a meeting time.

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 "Bent Ryder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback
    that I
    > used while commuting on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if
    there
    > is a pack or bladder system that works better than others for this type of bike. I have been
    > strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my seat. The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to
    > get to while riding and the
    pack has
    > to be squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice
    will
    > be considered and appreciated.
    >
    > Robin Haas RANS V-Rex

  5. Chere

    Chere Guest

    I drop my water filled bladder into the thermal bag that sits on the rear rack, hose facing forward
    (double zipper allows it to be zipped to the side the hose comes out). Then I put a diaper pin in
    the side of my cobra seat within easy reach (down where the back and seat meet but on the side - I
    like the left side). Then to the pin, I clip an "automatic recoil" disc (buy them at Staples) used
    for employee I.D. tags. I snap the hydration hose to it near the mouthpiece and when I need to
    drink, reach down and pull the mouthpiece up. When finished, the string recoils back down out of the
    way and no hoses caught in the rear tire.

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  6. Try my buck-fifty hydration system: 1-2L juice container w/screw-on cap and handle from recycling
    box, or use your container of choice. 5' of 5/16" food grade plastic hose. (length may differ) Drill
    5/16" hole in cap. Hang container anywhere on any bike you want. Voila! You now have a serious
    hydration system. Barry Davidson

    "There is more to life than increasing it's speed." -Gandhi

    "Bent Ryder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback
    that I
    > used while commuting on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if
    there
    > is a pack or bladder system that works better than others for this type of bike. I have been
    > strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my seat. The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to
    > get to while riding and the
    pack has
    > to be squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice
    will
    > be considered and appreciated.
    >
    > Robin Haas RANS V-Rex

  7. Drill

    Drill Guest

    I had a platapus backback rigged to fit on the back of my rex it worked great except, everytime I
    had to fill it I had to do the bladder dance jump up and down to get the thing back in the pack,
    this year I invested in a fast back system it is really great easy install of a full water bladder
    without the bladder dance

    Bentpelli

    "Bent Ryder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback
    that I
    > used while commuting on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if
    there
    > is a pack or bladder system that works better than others for this type of bike. I have been
    > strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my seat. The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to
    > get to while riding and the
    pack has
    > to be squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice
    will
    > be considered and appreciated.
    >
    > Robin Haas RANS V-Rex

  8. Geoff Pinney

    Geoff Pinney Guest

    I have a Camelback Unbottle 70 (2 litres here in limeyland) that fits behind the seat on my
    Challenge Mistral like it was custom made.

    "Bent Ryder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a good hydration system for use on a bent? I have a Camelback
    that I
    > used while commuting on my DF. Since I'm new to bents I was wondering if
    there
    > is a pack or bladder system that works better than others for this type of bike. I have been
    > strapping my M.U.L.E. to the back of my seat. The hose isn't quite long enough to make it easy to
    > get to while riding and the
    pack has
    > to be squished between the seat and my trunk pack that I have. Any advice
    will
    > be considered and appreciated.
    >
    > Robin Haas RANS V-Rex

  9. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    i have always thought about the simple method, not sure if it would work,ihave a bout 8 hydration
    systems from different sports and activities , so i always have tubing lying around. from one of
    your hydration systems take the hose assembly and find or make a attachment that would fit a
    standard poland spring water type water bottle. and stick it upside down in the vrex seat bottle
    cage with a loop of something above to stabilze the extra height. this way no cleaning and draining
    of bladders after each ride, if it was a short ride put a 1 liter or smaller bottle on there, saves
    room in the vrex seat bags and would be easy to pick up a refill in a store. anyone try this?

  11. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    "cleaning and draining of bladders after each ride"

    ???????????? WHAT'S THAT???????

    I have worn out several camel back bladders and I don't remember having cleaned a single one. (I
    will have to admit that they tend to get a bit slimy inside)

    I use only water so it takes longer for the tube to turn black. This really bothers my wife who is
    into "moldphobia". The added advantage to my method is that nobody else will use my bladders.

    I suppose that if I used some sort of "energy" drink instead of plain water I would soon have a
    working model of the organic ooze from which all life originated.

    I have an UNbottle that I dangle inside the back of the RANS seat with the tube out the top and
    clipped to my shirt. I also have a "bullet proof" bladder system that the Israeli army uses that is
    really stout, but light, that holds 2L. It also fits inside the RANS seat. I also have a Platypus
    with the rings on the sides that is way too much trouble to fill. The UNbottle is much better with a
    similar configuration of clips to mount it by.

    For 50 mile pulls between water stops in 110 deg temps I add some 2L soft drink bottles full of
    plain water as refill reserve. I like to carry as much water as I can on those trips.

    Jerry

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "cleaning and draining of bladders after each ride"
    >

    > ???????????? WHAT'S THAT???????
    >
    > I have worn out several camel back bladders and I don't remember having cleaned a single one. (I
    > will have to admit that they tend to get a bit slimy inside)
    >
    > I use only water so it takes longer for the tube to turn black. This really bothers my wife who is
    > into "moldphobia". The added advantage to my method is that nobody else will use my bladders.

    I'm with you. Except for the slim part. I have never had anything growing in either the camelbak or
    the platypus reservoirs that I use. Maybe once a year, I will flush the system with Efferdent. Most
    of the time the bladder stays in the fridge between rides.

    BTW this is in Houston, the mold capital of the universe.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > > "cleaning and draining of bladders after each ride"
    my bike stays in my van most of the time and i dont go home to the fridge before riding. i dont
    have the option of putting the water bladder in the freezer. if i remember after the ride to open
    and drain the platypus , which has the big glad lock opening anfd hang it up side down in my van to
    drain and air its fine, sometimes i get distracted after a ride and forget. than its pretty ugly
    after sitting in the van with the temp over 90 outside. i must have at least 8 different systems
    designed for canoeing,xc skiing,running,backpacks..they make one now for everything, but most of
    the bladders are the same, i do have acouple bladders that are more rectangular that work better
    for seat back systems. but it would be so much easier to just screw a fresh bottle onto the hose
    and stick it in the seat bottle holder. maybe slip a cozy over it to keep it cold i guess i will
    have to be on the cutting edge!