Hydraulic Discs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, May 26, 2003.

  1. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    Quick question....it seems my front disc brake lever isn't retracting quite like it should. After I
    apply the brake the lever likes to stay put. Would this be air in my lines causing it?

    Tags:

  2. Your not running SRAM shifters and it's catching on the shifters are you ?

    Cheers

    Chris

    Live fast, crash faster

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

  3. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    "> Your not running SRAM shifters and it's catching on the shifters are you ?

    > Cheers
    >
    > Chris

    I am running SRAM shifters but it isn't catching. It just lacks it's rebound after the brakes are
    applied. I can lightly return it to normal when I think of it during the ride. It just feels as if
    there is no force to return it naturally. The brakes still work perfectly fine however. By the
    way..I am running Giant MPH hydraulics...Mike

  4. Sorry but I can't be of any more help, what was happening with my Hope Mini / SRAM Rocket setup was
    the bottom of the break lever (not the bit you hold but the hinge bit) was catching on the cable
    extension of the SRAM shifter ... thus you could pull the lever in an it would lack all kind of
    rebound, it wasn't till I noticed the mark on the shifter that the problem was diagnosed ...

    Anyway that wasn't your problem .. sorry I can't help any more

    Thanks

    Chris

    Live fast, crash faster

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "> Your not running SRAM shifters and it's catching on the shifters are
    you
    > ?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Chris
    >
    > I am running SRAM shifters but it isn't catching. It just lacks it's
    rebound
    > after the brakes are applied. I can lightly return it to normal when I
    think
    > of it during the ride. It just feels as if there is no force to return it naturally. The brakes
    > still work perfectly fine however. By the way..I am running Giant MPH hydraulics...Mike

    I'm not familiar with those brakes but there is usually a spring return in the master cylinder and
    that may be broken. Does the brake work otherwise? Might be time to think about an upgrade to Hope
    Mini's or Hayes.

    Mike

  6. > >
    > > I am running SRAM shifters but it isn't catching. It just lacks it's
    > rebound
    > > after the brakes are applied. I can lightly return it to normal when I
    > think
    > > of it during the ride. It just feels as if there is no force to return it naturally. The brakes
    > > still work perfectly fine however. By the way..I am running Giant MPH hydraulics...Mike

    If they are clones of Magura's "wonderful" design. The o-rings may be swelled in the master
    cylinder, causeing the piston to stick. Sometimes the return spring gets tired also and needs to be
    stretched.
    --
    _________________________

  7. Stu

    Stu Guest

    >Would this be air in my lines causing it?
    No, air will just give you a soft lever or no lever if there is enough air. Sticky master (this
    would most likely give you some brake drag) Bent lever(this would give you brake drag until the pads
    wear down a little) Pivot seized or in some sealed hydraulic systems(from what l have read) needs
    more fluid or the pads adjusting(in which case it is working just fine and just wants some tlc for
    you lol) My guess is the last one if the brakes are working fine otherwise. But being that is "only
    the front brake", you had better get it fixed. Hope this helped, this is even harder than trying to
    fix something over the phone lol

    every time l see the name Magura l think of this page

    >If, for example, the diameter of the master cylinder is half as big as the diameter of the slave
    >cylinder, the force is quadrupled (however, the distance moved is reduced by 50%).
    http://www.magura.de/english/hydraulik/hydraulik_wie.htm (however, the distance moved is reduced by
    *75%*). maybe they will fix it one day