Hydraulic Drag Brake

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by gbarnes, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. gbarnes

    gbarnes Guest

    This has been suggested before, but I think it was poo-poo'ed en lieu of
    cable actuated v-brakes.

    I experimented with using my HS-33 as a drag brake a lot on my descent
    from 'Mt. Evans' (http://tinyurl.com/4wnve) today.

    For really long, constant grade descents (say 15 miles) I've found I can
    adjust my pad wear knob until the brakes are always on to flatten out
    the desecents.

    I've found I like the pads applied enough that you need to hold the
    unicycle at 30-45 degrees from the ground to be able to push the uni
    without the tire skidding on pavement.

    If I stop during the descent I back the knob off about 1/2 a turn before
    I get going again.

    My $0.02.

    --
    gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

    George C. Barnes IV
    GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    http://www.gb4mfg.com/
    gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

  2. TonyMelton

    TonyMelton Guest

    gbarnes wrote:
    > *For really long, constant grade descents (say 15 miles) I've found I
    > can adjust my pad wear knob until the brakes are always on to flatten
    > out the desecents.
    > *

    That's ingenious! I bet Magura never thought that that knob would get
    used like this. But hey, if it there, ya might as well use it!

    --
    TonyMelton - www.unicycle.co.nz

    See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

  3. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I've thought about putting friction washers in the Magura lever to turn
    it into a drag brake. I don't know how well it would work.

    My idea was to take the friction washers and other friction bits out of
    an old style friction shifting lever from an old bicycle. Put the
    friction bits on the pivot bolt in the Magura lever and see how it
    works. It might just work. Maybe.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  4. muddycycle

    muddycycle Guest

    I have seen someone use rubber bands from the leaver to the handle
    adjusting the drag by adding more bands.

    --
    muddycycle - Nonchalance

    "What can possiby mystify a madman?"
    Hegira: Greg Bear
    muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

  5. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    Just when I thought I was turning into a super l337 /\/\u/\/1 /\/\4/\/,
    I realize that I've never felt the need for a brake, no matter what the
    hill was... guess I'm not tackling the rough stuff yet, huh? Or I've
    surpassed Kris Holm in skill... oh wait, that was the dream where I
    also won the Tour de France on my 24" Nimbus...

    --
    evil-nick - Living in Balance

    Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
    stronger...

    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:29:03 -0500, "evil-nick" wrote:

    >Just when I thought I was turning into a super l337 /\/\u/\/1 /\/\4/\/,

    I don't get l337?

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

  7. Rowan

    Rowan Guest