Hydraulics For Drop Bars?

Stuart

Guest
I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer which has
STI levers at the moment.
Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers availble at
the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters again?
If that's the case can anyone suggest a hydraulic brake /lever setup for
drop bars?
I'd settle for rim or disc brakes.

_
Stuart

On 6/14/04 9:37 AM, in article [email protected],
"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer which has
> STI levers at the moment.
> Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers availble at
> the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters again?
> If that's the case can anyone suggest a hydraulic brake /lever setup for
> drop bars?
> I'd settle for rim or disc brakes.

The only one integrated shifter/hydraulic road levers that I've ever heard
of were made by edco in the mid 90's, they were 8 speed and worked with the
Magura brakes, I believe. Good luck on finding them. Otherwise, I believe
that Magura is still making the road brake lever/rim brake combo that can be
used with barend shifters. This is probably your best bet.

Baird

"Baird Webel" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only one integrated shifter/hydraulic road levers that I've ever
> heard of were made by edco in the mid 90's, they were 8 speed
> and worked with the Magura brakes, I believe.

Right, the edco group came with Magura HS77 calipers.

> Good luck on finding them.

I saw a set not too long ago in a shop outside Bouc Bel Air between
Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.

> Otherwise, I believe that Magura is still making the road
> brake lever/rim brake combo that can be used with barend shifters.
> This is probably your best bet.

As far as I know, both the HS66 and HS77 drop-bar rim brake sets have now
been discontinued, but there may still be stock in the pipeline. The levers
are still around as spare parts, and will work with any of the Magura rim
brakes.

One other option might be to use a cable-operated hydraulic master
cylinder, as described here:

http://www.santana-tandem.com/en/zubehoer/main.htm

or

http://www.sticha.ch/

(click through 'hope' and 'discjockey')

James Thomson

Stuart wrote:
> I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer
> which has STI levers at the moment.
> Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers
> availble at the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters
> again?
> If that's the case can anyone suggest a hydraulic brake /lever setup
> for drop bars?
> I'd settle for rim or disc brakes.
>
> _
> Stuart

Have you considered using the Avid mechanical discs? Seems like that would
be a good solution, and I'd bet that they would work with the STI levers.

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer which has
> STI levers at the moment.
> Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers availble at
> the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters again?
> If that's the case can anyone suggest a hydraulic brake /lever setup for
> drop bars?
> I'd settle for rim or disc brakes.
>
> _
> Stuart

I think you're out of luck. Magura HS-66 brakes are drop-bar
compatible hydraulics (picture at
http://www.cambriabike.com/road/brake_calipers_levers/index.htm ), but
they're not STI compatible. Using them with bar-end shifters is what
*I* would do.

Santana Tandems have a cable-operated master cylinder for Formula disc
brakes, but that's an expensive way to go. Does your frame have disc
brake mounts on it already? If not, adding them may be very, very
expensive if not impossible.

Jeff

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer which has
> STI levers at the moment.
> Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers availble at
> the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters again?
> If that's the case can anyone suggest a hydraulic brake /lever setup for
> drop bars?
> I'd settle for rim or disc brakes.

What problem are you trying to solve, that you would be willing to
endure the tradeoffs of hydraulic brakes to solve it? I ask in all
earnestness, as a rider who has tried pretty much every available
option in the pursuit of better braking.

I used Magura hydraulic rim brakes years ago, and they provided better
power and sensitivity than any brakes I'd had up to that time. But I
have since learned to set up cable-actuated rim brakes to provide more
of everything I liked about those old hydraulics, without the peculiar
mainenance and repair techniques or the unique vulnerabilities of
hydraulic brakes.

One can reap most of the benefits of (bicycle-specific) hydraulic
brakes simply by using full-length plastic-lined cable housing,
die-drawn cable, and careful routing to avoid tight bends.

Chalo Colina

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer which has
> STI levers at the moment.
> Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers availble

at
> the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters again?
> If that's the case can anyone suggest a hydraulic brake /lever setup for
> drop bars?
> I'd settle for rim or disc brakes.
>
> _
> Stuart

I've used HS-66 Maguras on a Cannondale Cyclocross frame. Originally, they
were on a tandem.

They were very nice, brake very smoothly, and powerfully. But as others have
mentioned, you need to use them with bar-end or downtube.

I changed the front fork to a disk compatible and installed an Avid ball
bearing disk so that I could use an STI on the rear mech. If you set the
bike up European style, front brake on the right is normal. Now my setup is
left hand HS-66 rear brake and bar-end front derailleur together with Avid
front brake and STI for the rear mech.

When I first tested the Avid disk I was very disappointed, but my
disappointment went away when a) the pads bedded in properly, and b) I
changed the disk from their standard 160mm to their extreme 185mm disk. I
can wholly recommend using the larger diameter disk. Takes the braking
performance way way beyond the hydraulic Magura rim brake. But if you live
in a flat area, its really overkill.

Phillip

Well I put Magura HS66s on my wife's tourer and she uses bar ends. She loves
the brakes and so do I as they mean almost no maintenance for me to do.
However, I've gone away from bar ends myself on my tourer as they are a bit
vulnerable on an aircraft. I now have STIs and use short cantis by Diacompe
(got them on Ebay, similar to Avid Shortys etc.) so I can still get good
tyre clearance. I'm pleased with the combination.
I have maguras on my going to work MTB and find the lack of maintenance
fantastic. They're fitted about 5 years and I've never had to bleed them
etc. Just occasionally adjust the allen-key nut or change the blocks.

"Phillip Stevens" <Phillip_Stevens(NOSPAM)@BTOpenworld.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you set the
> bike up European style, front brake on the right is normal.

Front on the right is normal English style. The rest of Europe varies a little,
but leans strongly towards front brake on the left.
--
"Mango sorbet is clearcut proof that we have progressed beyond the
bare needs of survival and have progressed to the transcendant."

sd-<< I'm looking to add hydraulic brakes to my Canondale T2000 tourer which
has
STI levers at the moment.
Can anyone tell me if there sare STI compatible hydraulic levers availble at
the moment or will I have to go back to separate shifters again? >><BR><BR>

No hydraulic discs with STI or ERGO. Even with downtube or barends, no 'road'
levers that are hydraulic disc compatible. You could probably fit Hayes levers
to the flat portion of the drop bar, ala cross levers, but no soap for the STI.

Avid mechanical discs work great with road levers tho-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

<snip>
> Santana Tandems have a cable-operated master cylinder for Formula disc
> brakes, but that's an expensive way to go. Does your frame have disc
> brake mounts on it already? If not, adding them may be very, very
> expensive if not impossible.
>
> Jeff

I saw a tandem in for servicing with one of these gizmos on it. It is an
option.

Otherwise the Avid Mechanicals are probably the easiest retro since Avid makes
road lever compatible versions of their brakes now.

HTH,

Thanks all. Plenty of options there but I think I'll leave well alone and
stay with the STI's for the time being until I can find a more
straightforward fix!

__
Stuart