Hydraulics

Sam Ford

Guest
Has anyone ever tried to use hydraulic systems instead of chain drives on bikes? I would have
supposed that such an option would be advantageous on recumbents with their huge lengths of chain. I
am not thinking of hydraulic motors, which would probably be impossibly heavy and expensive, but
just a couple of cylinders driven by the pedals transferring through tubes to a couple of cylinders
cranking the rear wheel. At first sight it sounds very attractive and should be mechanically
efficient which could not be the case with any sort of shaft drive.

"Sam Ford" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried to use hydraulic systems instead of chain drives on bikes? I would have
> supposed that such an option would be advantageous on recumbents with their huge lengths of chain.
> I am not thinking of hydraulic motors, which would probably be impossibly heavy and expensive, but
> just a couple of cylinders driven by the pedals transferring through tubes to a couple of
> cylinders cranking the rear wheel. At first sight it sounds very attractive and should be
> mechanically efficient which could not be the case with any sort of shaft drive.

Sam, you are a dreamer. "Not that there's anything wrong with that. . "

Yes, a system such as you suggest is certainly possible to build. Now run along and do some research
on the cost, weight, and efficiency of those hydraulic cylinders. For extra credit, compare and
contrast your results with a typical bicycle drive train, which weighs a couple of pounds, costs
under $100, and is over 90% efficient, even when it's so dry it squeaks.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Another fine mess I've got myself in!!

Thanks, Ted, I did half think it might fall down in the weight stakes, but must admit I hadn't
thought it would be all that much less effecient than chain drive.

news:[email protected]...