Hyper to Hyper

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ouzo, thanks for the info. The registration closes a bit early on Friday, so it's going to be a very close call, as I work until 4H30.

2. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Got this from CycleLab:

Please be advised that registration times for the Hyper to Hyper will now take place as follows:

Thursday 09h00 - 17h00 at the Cycle Lab
    Friday 09h00 - 18h00 at Steeledale Hypermarket
    Saturday 09h00 - 13h00 at Bedworth Park Hypermarket

PLEASE NOTE:
    There will no longer be registration at Cycle Lab on Wednesday 16 January 2002.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

And I got about 100 SMS's stating the same thing. :-/

4. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

;D Right everyone, this is it... final words before the big day! When I post to this topic again, it will be on Monday, and hopefully I'll be able to share that I accomplished the H2H in 2:something... even 2:59 will be acceptable, as long as it's not 3:something... :)

Here's wishing you all a great race, good weather, perfect conditions, tip-top bikes, no wind... yada yada yada ;)

ENJOY IT, and come back Monday and share your "war stories"! ;)

5. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Weather forecast says:

[​IMG]

am: 15 C
    pm: 28 C
    Wind: NE 8-16
    Rain: 10 %

May the wind be at your back!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

is this is Joburg or vereeniging.

7. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

;D Cloudy but with only 10% chance of rain - should be ok then! Thanks for that! :)
    May ze wind be at your back toooo!

Hey Hey it's Friday! Is it just me, or is everybody else VERY CHIRPY TODAY too? hoooray, ze weekend is coming!

Hooray Hooray it's a holi holi day... ;) ;D :) ;) ;D :)

Infecting anyone else with my mood yet?

:) :) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :) :) :)

8. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Thats for Jhb, ouzo.

I always become abit quiet before a race.

9. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Four words:

Bonked, Cramped, 3hrs, no excuse! [​IMG]

Click below for my Heart Rate profile for the race. Bonked badly about 45 minutes into the route. (Black=HR / Red=Speed)

Click for picture

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey everyone, let's have ALL the gory details tomorrow! ;D We want a blow by blow report back from everyone! ;D Weather wasn't too bad? Cool start?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Had one GREAT race. Did it in 2:55, my first ever sub 3. ;D ;D Maybe I overdid it, because afterwards I could hardly walk. What we wouldn't do for our sport, hey??

12. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Excellent Roadster! Well done!
    This is the second worse race I've had in my life. Worst was the Ride for Sight last year.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Roadster, well done. AS you started in group F it probably means we finished together. Were you in the large group that lasted for about 2 and a half hours right till the end ?

My time : 2h55m
    Avg Hr : 169 (ouch)
    Max speed : 91km/h

I used the little stretch from PnP to the climb as a warm up. I then Climbed pretty rapidly (although I stuggled) until we crossed over the highway and we headed done past Panaroma.

After we turned onto Swartkoppies road I hooked up with a group, sat there for a shortwhile and decide the pace was to high, as soon as I droped out I realised that it was a mistake, so I sprinted and caught up with them. Sat with them till the end. At one stage I helped pull them along but no-one wanted to help me.

I gave it everything I had and the hills on the new route killed me, but I managed to stay with the bunch and finish ok.

All in all a good race. If we could have stopped that head wind it would have been quicker.

14. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I started G, but caught up with that large group, mostly made up of F riders. Rode with them for along time. There were some hairy moments in the bunch. I was wondering if any of you were in the group. There were about 5 girls riding along if I remember correctly.

Good time, ouzo. We should stick our board names on our backs so we can recognise each other in large groups. ;D

15. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

:) VERY WELL DONE Roadster & Ouzo! VO2 - don't worry, the beauty of this sport is that what you don't achieve in one race, you can do so in the next! This is just the first of the season, there are lots more!...
    (and your time was excellent)

Old Timer, you wanted a blow by blow report from us, here goes: ;)

The weather was perfect. I didn't have any rain, although I believe some of the earlier groups had a bit of it. There was some wind, but not as bad as some previous races.

The start was fast and furious, but it soon evened out, when those first hills appeared. I must say, even having expected them, I still found the one hill in particular quite steep. Everyone went quiet and it was heads down and pedal pedal pedal.

Soon we were over the hills, and happily, what goes up, MUST COME DOWN! ;D yahoooooo I achieved my fastest ever going down, with 85k/h.

After the excitement of the hills and the downhills, it was time to get serious. I tried to find a bunch or a couple of people to work with, but everyone seems to look around for other riders to slipstream, and nobody seems to want to work. The result was every 10km or so, I would ride behind an individual or two, and swop, and climb on my own, etc.

At 30km to go, I was behind a guy from Midas, who was riding really well, but later on when our speed started dropping, and I realised there was only 20km to go, I told him I was going to go for it. At this point, I started reeling in quite a lot of stragglers, who seemed to have given up.

I eventually caught up to the first fast bunch of the day, and with only 10km to go, I thought this was it, the easy way to get to the finish. No sooner did I think I was on easy street, I heard a "clank" sound behind me. :eek:

Asking the guy on my right if it was a flat tyre, he said no, he thinks it's one of my spokes. The guy on my left said, "keep going". I did, but slowly but surely, started losing ground. The bunch disappeared, and there I was, mad as hell, because my goal of 3 hours slipped by. Then I decided, if nothing else, I'd make sure I beat my own time from last year!

Pushed the last couple of km on my OWN, hearing my brake acting like a hand-brake on the back wheel, where the spoke had broken, however, believe it or not, I was lucky, because only as I crossed the FINISH line at a sprint, did my bike give in. I got off, and it refused to budge, as the brake started locking on the wheel.

Suffice it to say, I had been prepared to run / jog / walk / hike those last 10km, because I was determined to finish!!!

In retrospect, some people are saying the course was 2km more than last year, others are saying it was 4km more, and two people have told me it was 10km more than last year. Whatever the extra length was, my time was 2 min off last year, and I'm more than pleased with that! :)

The best feeling though is, having done the distance, having enjoyed the ride, and now talking about it! ;D

16. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

P.S. Just realised, I didn't leave my official finish time: 3:18

There you have it, the full details on my H2H 2002! :)

17. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Hey Elsa, well done! I just love listening to all these war stories. Strange things go through your mind when your bike suddenly gives in. Glad you made it to the end. ;)

The route seemed much longer, tho my clock showed 100.4 km. I averaged 33.3 km\h for the race. Average HR was 164 and MaxHR 189. Max speed was 100.1 km\h (although somehow I don't believe that). I just remember flying past cyclists going down that hill. 8)

18. Guest

Guest Guest

VO2 I thought about the same thing yesterday (names on the back). I was in that large bunch of F riders. Waht were you wearing and what bike were you on ?

I was on a blue cannodale, Bar One top, read and silver helmet. Was next to a guy on a Ferrari in HSBC colours for quite some time.

Elsa you are right, nobody was willing to pull, but they were all willing to slip. At one point we had 3 woman pulling all these guys. RIDICULOUS. Unfortunately at this point my legs were poked and I was giving everything I had just to stay in the bunch, otherwise I would have been out there.

I measuerd 10km extra to last year.

Wasnt that DOWNHILL past panaroma just great. Sitting off the saddle, head done, hands on the brakes, eyes focuses miles ahead in anticipation of anything getting in your way and just cruising. I reckon I didnt peddal for about 2km at that point. (my cadence sensor was not working so cant check for sure).

19. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Yip, same bunch. Was on your wheel for awhile if you were the only one with a Bar One jersey in the bunch. I wear yellow Uno Mercatone colours on a blue/yellow Bianchi.

[​IMG]

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey I saw you. Damn man. All the more reason for us to wear name tags. sheesh. I think Roadster was also in that group.