Hyper to Hyper

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Vo2

Vo2 Member

That was an awesome group to ride in. Spectators were cheering us as we passed by. A group so big must sound awesome when it passes by at high speed!
    Dham, I wish I had known you guys were in the bunch. :(

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Geez, loads of new faces on this forum :D. I was gone for only 3 weeks so it's good to see so many new people on this board since then.

Regarding the comments posted this morning about the H2H - I'm quite finicky with the measurement of things, so let me give you guys my version of my findings. This year's event was 4.47km's longer than last year's. I've measured this on the same bicycle and computer with the same wheel circumference settings.

Yep, those of us who started earlier did get wet during the event, although that light rain lasted less than 3mins.

Well done to every one who finished the event, but Elsa, it will be difficult to do what you never did yesterday at another event this year. This is the only event around that offers the chance of having these kind of results on paper (speed wise). But who cares ? It just motivates you to come back and do the H2H again next year !!!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks you guys. VO2, Ouzo, yes, I think I was in your group. The colour of my clothing was light blue and white, with the words "TRANSWERK" on. Tried a few times to lead the bunch, but I just was not strong enough. Near the end, some guys in the group urged us on to go faster as we got closer to the end. There were a few guys of the G group, one Big guy from E with orange clothing and one guy from the A group, but he was riding with his wife, because I stood next to them in the assembly area in the basement at Steeledale Pick 'n Pay. Will any of you guys be doing the 94.2 Jacaranda in Centurion on 3rd February???

Elsa, ;)congrats, you really showed determination. I also had to run/walk to finish a race, when a guy literally put his hand on me and pushed me off the road. I got a flat tire, but because I was less than 2km from the end, thought that it would take me longer to repair, so I got my shoes off and walked/ran the distance to the end. A sweep vehicle passed me and wanted me to get on, but I said no, I want to finish this race, no matter what it takes! And I did. The thoughts that went through my mind for the cyclist that pushed me, :-/ could not be described on this forum, it would not be allowed!!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Really enjoyed the race. My second big race and first on a road bike. Still getting use to the road bike and therefore only did bits and pieces in groups.

So, I'm really happy with 3:20 !! :) :) ;D

Max speed was 69km/h, ave heart rate 155 and maksimum 174.

5. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

Thanx Roadster! Gee, that is absolutely :eek: shocking that someone would push you off!!! :mad: It's good for you to share that though, because now I'll be aware something like that can happen. I only think of tyres going flat, tyre blow-outs, potholes, etc etc etc., but I never considered someone else actually pushing you off the road!!! I'll be aware, and if it ever happens, I'll make sure to get the entry number on their back - if I'm still standing! :( That's terrible!
    Very good to hear that you pushed through, to the finish! Gutsy girls! ;D

6. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Ahhh, the Transwerk lady! ;) ;D

Excellent ride Jaco. 3:20 for a second big ride is brilliant!

7. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

:) Well Done Jaco! Only your second big race, and you achieve a 3:20. Very well done indeed. Planning to do the Argus? :)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Yip, will give the Argus a shot. Drove up Ou Kaapse weg a couple of weeks ago ... not exactly a hump in the road :eek:

Until then I'm doing the "Germinston Century Cycle Challenge" and the "Liberty Ride For Sight". Will any of you guys be doing these?

9. FemaleCyclist

FemaleCyclist New Member

Jaco - true about Ou Kaapse Weg... :eek: not a little bump at all!

I will be doing the Ride for Sight, the long one. Last year I did the shorter one (57km) and it was VERY VERY WINDY! This year, it is one of my last tough races before the Argus, so I'll be doing the long one (112km).

The Germiston race I'm only planning on doing the 60km race, as I've got a race on Saturday as well. I've done the long one for Germiston before, and it's a great ride. :)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Roadster I think I was on your wheel for 80% of the race.

Did anyone see the guy on a Ferrari bike riding in HSBC colours. Not sure if he was a pro, did not ride like one, but to be able to afford the Ferrari he must have been sponsored. I did read his name on his race number but have clean forgoten it.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Now why do I get this sneaky feeling that I did something wrong and got caught out? Did you see me, VO2?
    And Ouzo, was it worth it??

12. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Last years Ride for Sight was the worst race I ever competed in. I almost fell off my bike when I crossed the line out of exhaustion. I'm doing all the big races before the Argus. Is anyone doing the Engen NECSA race at Pelindaba? They reckon its the closest you'll get to the Argus route.

13. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I think I sat on your wheel for the same reason Ouzo sat on it Roadster! ;D
    Who was the other lady that was with you?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

sneeeaaaky.

yep I have to say it was. :D

hope the girlfreind never finds this thread[/siz]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

16. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I believe Robert Hunter's winning time was 2:11! :eek:

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Congratulations everyone! ;D Thanks for the feed back! Sounds like a great day. Next best thing to being there is to read the report back from those who were. Again well done all. You've got the makings of a good team between you. Specially as you're all strangers in "real life"! ;) Maybe you SHOULD make up a team?!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Vo2 - I'll be doing the Engen/NECSA. I have done the shorter route last year. Was absolutely dreadful conditions. It was raining cats and dogs.

Apparently Hekpoort is one of the worst climbs in the country and it is part of the 99km route. It is the day before the Ride for Sight though. Although Ride for Sight might be longer I think Engen/NECSA will be tougher.

As for the Hyper to Hyper, seems I didn't do that well if I read everyone's comments.

Hyper to Hyper: 3rd
    Starting group: F
    Average Heartrate: 153
    Max Speed: 80.6 km/h (A record for me!)
    Time: 3:19
    Punctures: 1

If it wasn't for the puncture and the new route, I probably would have done it in less than 3 hours. Guess I have to wait another year!

I will also be doing the 94.2 and the Germiston Century. The Germiston Century last year was a very nice race. I figure that since most of the pro's will be doing the Engen Wild Coast Sun Classic on the same day, we might get good seeding indices. Happened to me last year, since there weren't many pro's and the winning time wasn't as good as it could have been.

19. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Yakima, I'm also opting for the NECSA instead of the Ride for Sight. I abandoned the NECSA at the start line last year because of the monsoon. I didnt want to risk falling and hurting myself before the Argus. I hear that its an extremely tough ride. Hope the weather plays along this year.

3hr19 with a puncture is excellent! Well done!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Provisional results are out.

position 1862
    in sex 1720
    category position 104/273

go to http://www.supercycling.co.za/content.asp?cId=2371