Hyperglide chain Compatibility problems?

FasterthanU

Jun 29, 2004
Hello all. I recently bought a hyperglide chain for my Sunrace 8 speed cassette (not sure what model). I didn't think about compatibility and so far haven't been unable to tune the derailleur in. I just wanted to get a confirmation that I need to buy a new cassette (or vise-versa) because the chain is not compatible with this cassette. On the stand it seems reasonably okay, but when I ride it gets confused and jumps around. Thanks, FasterthanU

Hmmm... Are you sure the chain you bought a proper 7/8-speed chain (vs. a narrower 9-speed model)? How are your cassette teeth looking? (This is probably unrelated to your gear skipping problem, unless you're also getting chain slip, but I'm asking 'cause the cassette sounds old. Chain replacement is usually a good time to check out chainring and cassette tooth wear.)

If you do end up getting another chain, consider an SRAM chain for easier removal (no chain tool) for cleaning. I've been better about keeping my drivetrain clean since switching to SRAM chains.

The fact that the chain is Hyperglide should not affect its compatibility with any standard cassette to the extent that you report.

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
Hmmm... Are you sure the chain you bought a proper 7/8-speed chain (vs. a narrower 9-speed model)? How are your cassette teeth looking? (This is probably unrelated to your gear skipping problem, unless you're also getting chain slip, but I'm asking 'cause the cassette sounds old. Chain replacement is usually a good time to check out chainring and cassette tooth wear.)

If you do end up getting another chain, consider an SRAM chain for easier removal (no chain tool) for cleaning. I've been better about keeping my drivetrain clean since switching to SRAM chains.

The fact that the chain is Hyperglide should not affect its compatibility with any standard cassette to the extent that you report.
9s chains work perfectly fine with 7s and 8s drivetrains. I also wonder about whether the cassette is worn.

Also check to make sure that the chain link where you joined the chain together isn't stiff. If so, wiggle it back and forth between your fingers a few times to loosen it up

The cassette and chain are 8-speed. The cassette has less than 1000 miles on it and does not look suspect. Besides, I did not have this problem with the old chain. The only other thing I changed was upgrading the crankset to Dura-ace. In the auction the person said it was an 8-speed but with the chain on, the rings turn out to be 9-speed. I wouldn't think this as the cause of the problem. Oh yes, I am also convinced that hyperglide isn't worth the proclaimed benefits. I didn't think closely about the hassle of having to use a new pin EVERY TIME you take the chain apart!!! I will attempt again to tune in the derailleur. However, I don't think I'll be able to change much. Think it's probably the chain? Later, FasterthanU

John M said:
9s chains work perfectly fine with 7s and 8s drivetrains.
Yeah...on further thought, I guess that would make a lot of sense, though the other way around would probably be a bad idea (i.e., wider chain with more narrowly spaced cassette). I suppose the only benefit might be if 7/8-speed chains are cheaper.

FasterthanU said:
The cassette and chain are 8-speed. The cassette has less than 1000 miles on it and does not look suspect. Besides, I did not have this problem with the old chain.
Hm, so the teeth are still looking square on top, not pointy, eh? A while ago, I put a new chain on a cassette that looked only slightly worn to me and didn't slip previously. The new chain slipped a couple times when I was really pushing (luckily, without incident). The deal is that cassettes and chains wear together, to the extent that a really worn cassette with a "stretched" chain can work fine, but replacing just one or the other can result in some dangerous (not just annoying) slipping.

FasterthanU said:
The only other thing I changed was upgrading the crankset to Dura-ace. In the auction the person said it was an 8-speed but with the chain on, the rings turn out to be 9-speed. I wouldn't think this as the cause of the problem.
At the risk of asking a stupid question (since you seem to know what you're doing), did you remember to measure out your new chain to match the new crankset? I'm wondering if the chain tension is off, if the new chainrings are a different size.

FasterthanU said:
Oh yes, I am also convinced that hyperglide isn't worth the proclaimed benefits. I didn't think closely about the hassle of having to use a new pin EVERY TIME you take the chain apart!!!
Yeah, I was pretty ****** when I learned this is the recommended procedure. I guess some Hyperglide chains have a special pin that's supposed to be okay to re-insert (rather than replace altogether), but I just decided not to deal with any of that.

Even with what I thought was good advice from the Park Tools and Sheldon Brown sites, it took me lots of practice to get rear derailleur adjustment down, especially since what works on the stand doesn't always work on the road (as you've observed). Good luck, and while you're at it, maybe clean and lube those cables and housings! Oh, and consider some Loctite on those derailleur limit screws.

Turned out the cassette was worn. Once I got it dialed in just right, after applying pressure it would only skip on certain cogs. I took a look at them, referring back to someone telling me to look and see if they were "pointy" - AND THEY WERE! So, I have to buy a new cassette. Great! More money to spend! THanks guys/gals! Lais, FTU