Hyperkalemia

addr

Nov 7, 2009
Is hyperkalemia a common issue for people when biking? I mean, can the activity lead to this if it's excessive or something that he hasn't done for a while? (I don't think it can do this though) To clarify, hyperkalemia is excessive potassium.

addr said:
Is hyperkalemia a common issue for people when biking? I mean, can the activity lead to this if it's excessive or something that he hasn't done for a while? (I don't think it can do this though) To clarify, hyperkalemia is excessive potassium.

Did you ask your doctor? Internet bike forums are about the worst places to get medical answers and/or advice. Seriously, you'd be just as well off asking a perfect stranger on the street the same question. You doctor will be able to answer that and should be able to do so over the phone.

what makes you think youre hyperkalemic? the only symptom that i can think of that youre gonna see is an irregular heart beat, which can be from any of a number of causes, furthering the reason to see a doc if you really suspect this

Hello Friends.....

I don't think it is a common issue in bikers.But still you have doubt than you can consult a doctor.

Treatment of hyperkalemia may include any of the following measures, either singly or in combination:

• A diet low in potassium (for mild cases).
  • Discontinue medications that increase blood potassium levels.
  • Intravenous administration of glucose and insulin, which promotes movement of potassium from the extracellular space back into the cells.
  • Intravenous calcium to temporarily protect the heart and muscles from the effects of hyperkalemia.
  • Sodium bicarbonate administration to counteract acidosis and to promote movement of potassium from the extracellular space back into the cells.
Thanks