General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy diagnosis?

Started by T.J. Johnson · · Last activity · 3 posts · 591 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 March 2004
Last activity
17 March 2004
Original author
T.J. Johnson
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
591
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
    sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die without
    any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.

    This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
    athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
    morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I breathe
    very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be due to
    asthma as my brother has asthma.)

    As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
    depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
    the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
    last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a week
    until I stopped taking the medicine in which case the
    palpatations stopped so far.

    My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she got
    palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
    affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
    palpatations.

    As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical, and
    my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62 beats per
    minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a stethoscope
    and heard nothing-(well except for a normal heartbeat)

    Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
    only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs present.
    SO is there any other way of easily detecting HCM without
    EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to schedule one
    without a doctor's reference.

    As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
    death, though still I worry if I might become the first....

  2. T.J. Johnson said:

    Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
    sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die
    without any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.

    This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
    athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
    morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I
    breathe very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be
    due to asthma as my brother has asthma.)

    As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
    depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
    the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
    last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a
    week until I stopped taking the medicine in which case
    the palpatations stopped so far.

    My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she
    got palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
    affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
    palpatations.

    As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical,
    and my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62
    beats per minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a
    stethoscope and heard nothing-(well except for a normal
    heartbeat)

    Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
    only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs
    present. SO is there any other way of easily detecting
    HCM without EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to
    schedule one without a doctor's reference.

    As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
    death, though still I worry if I might become the
    first....

    Would suggest you inform your doctor about your concerns. I
    am pretty certain that s/he would have no problem with
    checking your EKG to allay your concerns.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    heartmdphd.comheartmdphd.com

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    What is all this about?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    Is this spam?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

  3. www.cardiomyopathy.org

    "T.J. Johnson" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message
    de "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
    sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die
    without any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.

    This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
    athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
    morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I
    breathe very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be
    due to asthma as my brother has asthma.)

    As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
    depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
    the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
    last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a
    week until I stopped taking the medicine in which case
    the palpatations stopped so far.

    My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she
    got palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
    affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
    palpatations.

    As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical,
    and my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62
    beats per minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a
    stethoscope and heard nothing-(well except for a normal
    heartbeat)

    Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
    only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs
    present. SO is there any other way of easily detecting
    HCM without EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to
    schedule one without a doctor's reference.

    As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
    death, though still I worry if I might become the
    first....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.