Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by T.J. Johnson, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. T.J. Johnson

    T.J. Johnson Guest

    Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
    sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die without
    any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.

    This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
    athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
    morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I breathe
    very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be due to
    asthma as my brother has asthma.)

    As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
    depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
    the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
    last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a week
    until I stopped taking the medicine in which case the
    palpatations stopped so far.

    My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she got
    palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
    affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
    palpatations.

    As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical, and
    my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62 beats per
    minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a stethoscope
    and heard nothing-(well except for a normal heartbeat)

    Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
    only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs present.
    SO is there any other way of easily detecting HCM without
    EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to schedule one
    without a doctor's reference.

    As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
    death, though still I worry if I might become the first....

    Tags:

  2. "T.J. Johnson" wrote:

    > Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
    > sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die
    > without any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.
    >
    > This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
    > athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
    > morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I
    > breathe very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be
    > due to asthma as my brother has asthma.)
    >
    > As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
    > depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
    > the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
    > last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a
    > week until I stopped taking the medicine in which case
    > the palpatations stopped so far.
    >
    > My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she
    > got palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
    > affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
    > palpatations.
    >
    > As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical,
    > and my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62
    > beats per minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a
    > stethoscope and heard nothing-(well except for a normal
    > heartbeat)
    >
    > Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
    > only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs
    > present. SO is there any other way of easily detecting
    > HCM without EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to
    > schedule one without a doctor's reference.
    >
    > As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
    > death, though still I worry if I might become the
    > first....

    Would suggest you inform your doctor about your concerns. I
    am pretty certain that s/he would have no problem with
    checking your EKG to allay your concerns.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2DB148A7

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  3. www.cardiomyopathy.org

    "T.J. Johnson" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message
    de news:[email protected]...