Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy diagnosis?

T.J. Johnson

Guest
Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die without
any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.

This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I breathe
very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be due to
asthma as my brother has asthma.)

As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a week
until I stopped taking the medicine in which case the
palpatations stopped so far.

My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she got
palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
palpatations.

As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical, and
my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62 beats per
minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a stethoscope
and heard nothing-(well except for a normal heartbeat)

Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs present.
SO is there any other way of easily detecting HCM without
EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to schedule one
without a doctor's reference.

As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
death, though still I worry if I might become the first....

"T.J. Johnson" wrote:

> Hello, I am 15 years old. I've been reading up on internet
> sites about HCM and that some suffers of it can die
> without any prior warning or knowledge of the disease.
>
> This particulary concerns me becuase I am a high school
> athlete, and I get subjected to intense workouts every
> morning. During which I sometimes feel dizzy, and I
> breathe very intensly (moreso then my peers-though may be
> due to asthma as my brother has asthma.)
>
> As of which when I started taking a prescribtion anti-
> depressiant for my OCD I started getting palpatations in
> the morning when I would wake up and they would generally
> last for about 5-10 secounds. That lasted for about a
> week until I stopped taking the medicine in which case
> the palpatations stopped so far.
>
> My mother also has OCD and says when she took SRI's she
> got palpatations too, so I'm guessing it's a genetic side-
> affect of the drugs, though Im still worried about the
> palpatations.
>
> As of then I went to the doctor for my annual physical,
> and my blood pressure is 114/60. My heart beat is 62
> beats per minute at rest, he listened to my heart via a
> stethoscope and heard nothing-(well except for a normal
> heartbeat)
>
> Then I decided to look up on the internet and I read that
> only about 30-40% of people with HCM have murmurs
> present. SO is there any other way of easily detecting
> HCM without EKG or ECHO? For I doubt I will be able to
> schedule one without a doctor's reference.
>
> As of yet none in our family has died of sudden cardiac
> death, though still I worry if I might become the
> first....

Would suggest you inform your doctor about your concerns. I
am pretty certain that s/he would have no problem with
checking your EKG to allay your concerns.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist