Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. It's always dangerous having a bumper sticker, because once you do, it's
    easy to be caught in a moment of hypocrisy. I've got a Share The Road
    sticker on the back of my station wagon, as well as a decal from our bike
    club in the window, and I'm always worried that I'll do something stupid in
    that car, and then someone will say, sarcastically, "Nice job of sharing the
    road, Doofus-head!"

    So...I was riding home from work on Monday. Some large SUV driven by a
    cell-phone-using blonde with her two kids in the back nearly side-swipes me
    because she had a desperate need to get to the red light before I did. The
    car had a Respect for Human Life bumpersticker. All I could think was, yeah,
    as long as that human life is in the womb - put it on a bicycle, and that's
    another matter!

    I found it as humorous as one can find a near fatal experience.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  2. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:38:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's always dangerous having a bumper sticker, because once you do, it's
    >easy to be caught in a moment of hypocrisy. I've got a Share The Road
    >sticker on the back of my station wagon, as well as a decal from our bike
    >club in the window, and I'm always worried that I'll do something stupid in
    >that car, and then someone will say, sarcastically, "Nice job of sharing the
    >road, Doofus-head!"
    >
    >So...I was riding home from work on Monday. Some large SUV driven by a
    >cell-phone-using blonde with her two kids in the back nearly side-swipes me
    >because she had a desperate need to get to the red light before I did. The
    >car had a Respect for Human Life bumpersticker. All I could think was, yeah,
    >as long as that human life is in the womb - put it on a bicycle, and that's
    >another matter!
    >
    >I found it as humorous as one can find a near fatal experience.

    Yeah, you're on a bike and you're about as important as a squished
    squirrel. However, it's also hypocritical because what about the
    PRECIOUS litle lives IN THE BACK OF HER VAN? THe kids? Remember? Like
    she's not endangering their lives by blabbing on the phone.

  3. Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >car had a Respect for Human Life bumpersticker. All I could think was, yeah,
    >as long as that human life is in the womb - put it on a bicycle, and that's
    >another matter!
    >
    >I found it as humorous as one can find a near fatal experience.

    Did you miss my "I FELL OFF MY BIKE" post the other day?

    --Blair
    "Honestly; I wish someone had been
    filming that crash. I'd send it in
    to Comedy Central."

  4. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:38:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So...I was riding home from work on Monday. Some large SUV driven by a
    >cell-phone-using blonde with her two kids in the back nearly side-swipes me
    >because she had a desperate need to get to the red light before I did. The
    >car had a Respect for Human Life bumpersticker. All I could think was, yeah,
    >as long as that human life is in the womb - put it on a bicycle, and that's
    >another matter!

    While no doiubt there are SUVs that are used in an environmentally
    enhancing way, the number of huge Navigators or whatever the call the
    Cadillac and Lexus versions with 'Save the Bay' bumper stickers and Md
    environmental license plates is at best amusing. Usually I see them on
    my way into DC, each with one person on board. I guess that the
    license plate is the result of a bad conscience.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  5. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:38:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So...I was riding home from work on Monday. Some large SUV driven by a
    >cell-phone-using blonde with her two kids in the back nearly side-swipes me
    >because she had a desperate need to get to the red light before I did. The
    >car had a Respect for Human Life bumpersticker. All I could think was, yeah,
    >as long as that human life is in the womb - put it on a bicycle, and that's
    >another matter!

    While no doiubt there are SUVs that are used in an environmentally
    enhancing way, the number of huge Navigators or whatever the call the
    Cadillac and Lexus versions with 'Save the Bay' bumper stickers and Md
    environmental license plates is at best amusing. Usually I see them on
    my way into DC, each with one person on board. I guess that the
    license plate is the result of a bad conscience.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  6. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:38:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"

  7. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:06:18 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

    >Yeah, you're on a bike and you're about as important as a squished
    >squirrel. However, it's also hypocritical because what about the
    >PRECIOUS litle lives IN THE BACK OF HER VAN? THe kids? Remember? Like
    >she's not endangering their lives by blabbing on the phone.

    Hey, she could be smoking. I love the smoke filled cars with the
    windows up and a couple of kids in the back - trying to break out the
    rear window...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

    http://www.microcosmpublishing.com/catimages/Environmental.gif
    http://www.microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/stickers/?PHPSESSID=7d3f80279998de97fdc7adab239981c9
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    || On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:06:18 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
    ||| Yeah, you're on a bike and you're about as important as a squished
    ||| squirrel. However, it's also hypocritical because what about the
    ||| PRECIOUS litle lives IN THE BACK OF HER VAN? THe kids? Remember?
    ||| Like she's not endangering their lives by blabbing on the phone.
    || Hey, she could be smoking. I love the smoke filled cars with the
    || windows up and a couple of kids in the back - trying to break out
    || the rear window...

    No, the kids aren't trying to break out -- they're getting their nic fix,
    too!

  11. You should have brought the fact up when you reached the intesection. Or
    gotten her tags and sent her a letter on the two faced display...

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  12. > I found it as humorous as one can find a near fatal experience.

    Claire: My guess is that, years ago, you discovered the same thing I did.
    In almost any circumstance like that, one in which you somehow escaped
    intact, you can choose to either laugh about it or cry. Laughing is usually
    the better choice.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

  13. "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]
    > > I found it as humorous as one can find a near fatal experience.

    > Claire: My guess is that, years ago, you discovered the same thing I did.
    > In almost any circumstance like that, one in which you somehow escaped
    > intact, you can choose to either laugh about it or cry. Laughing is

    usually
    > the better choice.

    I have heard that the great rabbi, Reb Nachman, said that there are two ways
    to opening the heart: one is through tears, the other through laughter. I
    wish for all of us to have open hearts, and that laughter is our key.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  14. SlowRider

    SlowRider Guest

    Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > While no doiubt there are SUVs that are used in an environmentally
    > enhancing way, the number of huge Navigators or whatever the call the
    > Cadillac and Lexus versions with 'Save the Bay' bumper stickers and Md
    > environmental license plates is at best amusing. Usually I see them on
    > my way into DC, each with one person on board. I guess that the
    > license plate is the result of a bad conscience.

    I got a hearty chuckle out of a Ford pick-up I saw some years ago. It
    had a big, in-your-face "Buy American" bumper sticker on the rear
    bumper. In its bed were stowed two matching motorcycles...

    ....Yamahas.

    JR

  15. TomP

    TomP Guest

    Yes, it's better to be thought the fool, or in this case appear to be. Than to
    open your mouth (or place a bumper sticker, on your car) and remove all doubt...

    --
    Tp,

    No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...