hypoglycemia after chromium?

Lacustral

Guest
I have been taking 400 mcg of gtf chromium for "reactive hypoglycemia" ... i had been eating a lot
of fructose for months and i had gotten so glucose-sensitive that maybe 10 blueberries would give me
a tense,anxious feeling. i've stopped using the fructose, and thinking that my "hypoglycemia" might
be from a chromium deficiency, trying chromium. i got sick after i started the chromium, but i've
been sick a lot recently so at first i didn't attribute it to the chromium. i feel really out of it.

A couple of mornings, i've had the tip of one of my fingers go white and numb, like no blood could
get to it. This went away after about ten minutes ... i drank mild coffee and that may have had
something to do with it, coffee is a vasoconstrictor. My fingers have never gone numb before.

This morning i got all cold and chilled, i have felt foggy. No mood changes.

i think, what has happened is that i was very chromium-deprived, and suddenly being supplied with
chromium, which increases insulin sensitivity, i got actual low blood sugar -- not the
insulin/adrenaline/cortisol reactions to eating glucose that i usually have. i don't have a bg meter
so i can't check that idea out.

i've heard that you have to start chromium gradually, so i'm cutting back to 200 mcg/day.

It seems like i might have atherosclerosis.

I'm not diabetic (seeking to avoid becoming it!), i recently got a non-fasting glucose and it was
105. higher than i would like, but i'm doing things to try to bring it down. But, i thought a bunch
of diabetics might have perspectives ...

thanks Laura

http://www.lightlink.com/lark/hypo.html

On 14 Feb 2004 18:38:34 GMT, [email protected] (Lacustral) wrote:

>I have been taking 400 mcg of gtf chromium for "reactive hypoglycemia" ... i had been eating a
>lot of fructose for months and i had gotten so glucose-sensitive that maybe 10 blueberries would
>give me a tense,anxious feeling. i've stopped using the fructose, and thinking that my
>"hypoglycemia" might be from a chromium deficiency, trying chromium. i got sick after i started
>the chromium, but i've been sick a lot recently so at first i didn't attribute it to the
>chromium. i feel really out of it.
>
>A couple of mornings, i've had the tip of one of my fingers go white and numb, like no blood could
>get to it. This went away after about ten minutes ... i drank mild coffee and that may have had
>something to do with it, coffee is a vasoconstrictor. My fingers have never gone numb before.
>
>This morning i got all cold and chilled, i have felt foggy. No mood changes.
>
>i think, what has happened is that i was very chromium-deprived, and suddenly being supplied with
>chromium, which increases insulin sensitivity, i got actual low blood sugar -- not the
>insulin/adrenaline/cortisol reactions to eating glucose that i usually have. i don't have a bg
>meter so i can't check that idea out.
>
>i've heard that you have to start chromium gradually, so i'm cutting back to 200 mcg/day.
>
>It seems like i might have atherosclerosis.
>
>I'm not diabetic (seeking to avoid becoming it!), i recently got a non-fasting glucose and it was
>105. higher than i would like, but i'm doing things to try to bring it down. But, i thought a bunch
>of diabetics might have perspectives ...
>
>thanks Laura
>
>http://www.lightlink.com/lark/hypo.html

You seem to be doing a lot of worrying and guessing without a lot of real information.

Presumably you've seen a doctor about this and they diagnosed the "reactive hypoglycemia"? Did a
doctor prescribe the chromium?

Nowadays it's very easy to self-test whether your blood glucose is high or low. Get yourself a
glucometer and test whenever these "symptoms" appear. At least then you'll know if your problems are
related to blood glucose or not.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.8, wt 117kg=>90kg, no meds, diet and not enough
exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully,
because experience can be an expensive teacher.

"Lacustral" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been taking 400 mcg of gtf chromium for "reactive hypoglycemia" ... i had been eating a
> lot of fructose for months and i had gotten so glucose-sensitive that maybe 10 blueberries would
> give me a tense,anxious feeling. i've stopped using the fructose, and thinking that my
> "hypoglycemia" might be from a chromium deficiency, trying chromium. i got sick after i started
> the chromium, but i've been sick a lot recently so at first i didn't attribute it to the
> chromium. i feel really out of it.
>
> A couple of mornings, i've had the tip of one of my fingers go white and numb, like no blood could
> get to it. This went away after about ten minutes ... i drank mild coffee and that may have had
> something to do with it, coffee is a vasoconstrictor. My fingers have never gone numb before.
>
> This morning i got all cold and chilled, i have felt foggy. No mood changes.
>
> i think, what has happened is that i was very chromium-deprived, and suddenly being supplied with
> chromium, which increases insulin sensitivity, i got actual low blood sugar -- not the
> insulin/adrenaline/cortisol reactions to eating glucose that i usually have. i don't have a bg
> meter so i can't check that idea out.
>
> i've heard that you have to start chromium gradually, so i'm cutting back to 200 mcg/day.
>
> It seems like i might have atherosclerosis.
>
> I'm not diabetic (seeking to avoid becoming it!), i recently got a non-fasting glucose and it was
> 105. higher than i would like, but i'm doing things to try to bring it down. But, i thought a
> bunch of diabetics might have perspectives ...

Stop taking Chromium! Why in the world would you take something that is purported to (although not
proven to) lower BG when you already have reactive hypoglycemia? Also, you don't say what kind of
Chromium you are taking. Chromium Piccolinate is very dangerous, for everyone.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

In article <[email protected]>,
Julie Bove <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Lacustral" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>Stop taking Chromium! Why in the world would you take something that is purported to (although not
>proven to) lower BG when you already have reactive hypoglycemia? Also, you don't say what kind of
>Chromium you are taking. Chromium Piccolinate is very dangerous, for everyone.

This last is not established. BTW, I tried chromium picolinate for depression, a study having
indicated good results in half the cases; remember, YMMV. My doctor approved the attempt.

I could not maintain the indicated dose, and it did not work, but I do not know of any other way the
information could be found at this time. I am using a rather unusual treatment now, cobbled from a
legitimate scientific announcement, after having bad reactions to a prescription drug. What works
for one may be poison for another, and there is no way now to find out.
--
This address is for information only. I do not claim that these views are those of the Statistics
Department or of Purdue University. Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University