Hypothetical question about saturdays stage.

Zac

Jul 3, 2003
So if Ullrich gets the yellow jersey on Saturday would Lance have any chance to get it back from him on Sunday?

Not much, but if it is only a matter of seconds, you can be sure that whoever is second will give it a try.

I think there is an unwritten rule that the yellow jersey is not contested for on the Sunday. Whoever wakes up on Sunday morning wearing the malliot jaune, rides it to Paris. However, the malliot vert (green jersey) is another story.
It's a good question though. Imagine Lance leads the race by only 3 seconds going into Paris. I wonder if Jan will take the race to the line?

No rules just not gona happen. imagine a 1 sec difference and a close competion in the green jersey, and postal setting up lance for intermediate sprint time bonuses. lance and ulrich would have to fight against zabel and cookie.

Originally posted by The Badger
No rules just not gona happen. imagine a 1 sec difference and a close competion in the green jersey, and postal setting up lance for intermediate sprint time bonuses. lance and ulrich would have to fight against zabel and cookie.

I agree, it just cannot happen... i guess ;-)

Everything can happen! :)

I believe that at least one Tour was decided in the last stage: I don’t know excactly what year, but didn’t the first Dutch Tour-winner Jan Janssen win it in the last stage (against Belgian Van Sprundel)?

An interesting question, though!
I think at least Lance will try to win it in the last stage, if he falls 1-10 seconds short. Whether Ullrich would do the same?

But it will be very difficult: it’s “green jersey Showtime” now! :)
Get out of the way, the Hulks are coming!

Have fun!

The last Tour I think was decided on the last day was won by Lemond (was it 89? have to look that up). But I believe that last stage was a Time Trial.

of course anything is possible, but it's not likely. Who would let either Ullrich or Armstrong escape from the peleton to win time? And in a sprint I don't think they would win from one of the sprinters. Although it would be interesting to know what kind of Peleton rule there would be on this issue.

[something like: we won't sprint for a green jersey if the race for the yellow jersey isn't decided yet]

Now another WHAT IF:

What if, after the Time Trial of Saturday, Ullrich and Armstrong share the Yellow Jersey. So no time difference. What would that do to the Sunday Stage?

<off topic>
Good to see another Dutchman on the Forum!
</off topic>

the two times it was decided on the final day were both time trials with victories going to lemond and janssen.

if there are seconds in it you can guarantee they will try but its unlikely to come off.
i didnt see it myself but didnt hinault and zoetemelk attack on the final day and finish off the stage together ? 1980 i think .

Originally posted by TbosS
The last Tour I think was decided on the last day was won by Lemond (was it 89? have to look that up). But I believe that last stage was a Time Trial.

of course anything is possible, but it's not likely. Who would let either Ullrich or Armstrong escape from the peleton to win time? And in a sprint I don't think they would win from one of the sprinters. Although it would be interesting to know what kind of Peleton rule there would be on this issue.

[something like: we won't sprint for a green jersey if the race for the yellow jersey isn't decided yet]

Now another WHAT IF:

What if, after the Time Trial of Saturday, Ullrich and Armstrong share the Yellow Jersey. So no time difference. What would that do to the Sunday Stage?

<off topic>
Good to see another Dutchman on the Forum!
</off topic>
I think the yellow jersey ogoes to rider with the higher placing on the previos stage (tt) if they did have the same time, whoever beat the other in the time trial would have it. they could not escape but there are ususally sprints during a road stage for 6-4-2 second time bonuses, if these guys can win world championships the should be able to win these or place, but the green jersey race is so close and the sprints also contain points so it could be a big battle. not likely cause there should be a cear winner after the time trial.

Interesting question, TbosS!

I believe there are some rules to follow then:
I think it was to look at the rankings in ALL the stages, and then to see which rider has the lowest "overall-ranking".

But it might as well be something completely different!

(BTW: they definitively DON'T look at the first TT- I know that for sure!)

Greetings from a Lowland-Guy!

Originally posted by claggy
the two times it was decided on the final day were both time trials with victories going to lemond and janssen.

if there are seconds in it you can guarantee they will try but its unlikely to come off.
i didnt see it myself but didnt hinault and zoetemelk attack on the final day and finish off the stage together ? 1980 i think .
yea except Hinault abandoned in 80 it was 82.

i think if it is tied between ullrich and armstrong then then jersey will be awarded based on performance on the green jersey, then if thats tied its the polka dot jersey? im sure its something like that

still how unlucky would that be!

Originally posted by patch70
Not much, but if it is only a matter of seconds, you can be sure that whoever is second will give it a try.

It IS going to happen! :D

Both Ullrich and Armstrong participated in the first bonification sprint of today's stage!

Jan Ullrich won 2 points AND 2 seconds in that sprint! :D

Ranking:
1 McEwen
2 Ullrich
3 Armstrong

Have fun...it'll be three hot days for Lance!

Originally posted by gymbob
i think if it is tied between ullrich and armstrong then then jersey will be awarded based on performance on the green jersey, then if thats tied its the polka dot jersey? im sure its something like that

still how unlucky would that be!

actually i thought it went down to hundredths of seconds first of all and then the green jersey.not sure though.