I almost got run over yesterday!

Mojo Johnson

Sep 11, 2008
Maybe this should go in rants, but I figured I'd share my story of ignorant drivers and frustration.

I was leaving work yesterday ready to make a right hand turn out of the driveway. There are two lanes: the right lane is a right turn only and the left lane is for left hand turns and straight traffic.

I was in the right hand lane with one car about 2 car lengths ahead of me (comfortable cushion). Suddenly I see that car's reverse lights engage. At first I thought she had just pulled a little too far into the road and was backing up a bit (still had a big cushion). Then she punches it! I see a car coming at me quickly in reverse! I'm on the right hand side of the lane but my right foot is still clipped in so the only way to dodge the oncoming car is to dive over my bike.

I hit the ground and the car stops right next to me, centimeters from running over my bike and legs.

I get up, absolutely furious! The passenger in the car motions to me to settle down but doesn't roll down the window. The light turns green and the car drives away as I'm dusting myself off and making an attempt to provoke the occupants of the car to talk to me.

Neither driver or passenger (both of whom saw me and realized I had almost been killed) bothered to apologize, ask if I was okay, or even so much as roll down their windows!

Damages: small gash on my knee and a bent up rear derailleur. I managed to ride home but now my gears are skipping all over the place. Luckily it's just a mountain bike and I can probably rectify the problem with a pair of pliers.

I ask people - what kind of society to we live in where people don't even stop to ask if we're okay anymore? Let alone when an incident happens in the office? She doesn't even know that I'm a memeber of the executive management team at this company and I have have her job with the click of a mouse.

End rant - I refuse to let this incident deter me from future commuting by bike, but it is the wild west out there.

First off it is good that you are ok. Secondly are you saying that you know specifically who the driver is?

This is a really big company, but I got her plate # and I've located her car in the parking lot today. ;)

I just don't know what to do with that information, realistically. All I really want to do is confront her and chastise her for not asking if I was okay and leave it at that.

I'm wondering if it could be categorized as a hit and run. I doubt it since she didn't actually hit me... :confused:

They created the circumstances and then left the scene. That is against the law imo. State laws vary.
As far as confrontation, speaking as an HR director, be carful how you might go about it since it could be considered hostile work environment if done at or around the workplace .

Sound advice! I'll bounce the situation off my HR Manager. I'm pretty much thinking there's nothing I can do but hope she'll be more careful next time.

Mojo Johnson said:
Sound advice! I'll bounce the situation off my HR Manager. I'm pretty much thinking there's nothing I can do but hope she'll be more careful next time.

Try and catch them early in the morning. If they are like me they need to start drinking heavily at noon to get through the day. :D

She caused an accident, period. Is the parking lot under surveillance? If you don't know, find out. She left the scene.

Let the HR manager that you're hoping that this situation can be addressed with a civil discussion rather than having to get the police involved. The driver caused an incident resulting in injury and damage, and left the scene.

Edit: the safety manager might also have an interest in making sure this is properly addressed. Especially if the incident occurred on company property, problems like this could easily become "company problems" if not handled correctly. I would make sure they know what happened, and can put something in the safety bulletin if necessary.

Well I can tell you if that happened to me,and I know specifically who she is,then I am coming and hell is coming with me. Either I handle this outside of work,or she gets 4 flat tires and a new custom paint job...but hey,I from the south and thats how we do.

Why can't you just approach the person and bring the matter up in a calm and logical way. I'd tell the driver I wasn't happy about the incident and how close you came to being injured. Would they have drove off if they had run over your legs? This is disgraceful unethical behaviour, it's inexcusable, I ask the same question you did; what kind of society have we become when people seem to have lost basic decency. In my opinion this is atrocious behaviour and the person needs to have this explained to them. They can't seriously just get away with this.

That's messed up - any news on this - have you spoken to to your HR manger yet?

let us know how it goes

Thanks

AL

PS: glad you are ok

In Arkansas, causing an accident and leaving the scene is a felony!
If you were injured it makes it hit and run. That can get you fifty years.

Take it to the police. That is the only way to get justice. That is what
we pay taxes for.

Put a dent in her car where she would have hit you. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif No, no. Don't do it. Just joking. Really, it is a shame and I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.

If I read this correctly, you just overreacted.
So she backed up a li'l fast.
Didn't actually hit you, did she?
No harm, no foul.
You do need to be prepared for stoopid idjuts who Facebook and Starbucks while driving.