I am 5'2 and need a first Road Bike for NYC? Help?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rick, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi- I want to buy a road bike in NYC for commuting and enjoyment. I am 5 ft 2 and the last post I
    saw for recommendations was in 1997. I want to pay under a $1000 and would like a nice light, fast
    bike for my size. It is a jungle out there and if any of you have some suggestions for me that would
    be great! Remember, NYC has potholes and rough streets!

    Tags:

  2. Tispectrum

    Tispectrum Guest

    Post this on NYC.bicycles.

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi- I want to buy a road bike in NYC for commuting and enjoyment. I am 5 ft 2 and the last post I
    > saw for recommendations was in 1997. I want to pay under a $1000 and would like a nice light, fast
    > bike for my size. It is a jungle out there and if any of you have some suggestions for me that
    > would be great! Remember, NYC has potholes and rough streets!

    >Hi- I want to buy a road bike in NYC for commuting and enjoyment. I am 5 ft 2 and the last post I
    >saw for recommendations was in 1997. I want to pay under a $1000 and would like a nice light, fast
    >bike for my size. It is a jungle out there and if any of you have some suggestions for me that
    >would be great! Remember, NYC has potholes and rough streets!

    I ride a van dessel superfly to get to and from work in NYC. It works well for me. It is not
    particularly light, but for what I use if for, that is not an issue.
    --------------
    Alex

  4. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 6 Nov 2003 07:31:56 -0800, [email protected] (Rick) wrote:

    >I want to buy a road bike in NYC for commuting and enjoyment. I am 5 ft 2 and the last post I saw
    >for recommendations was in 1997. I want to pay under a $1000 and would like a nice light, fast bike
    >for my size.

    That's a lot for a bike to run around NYC in. Even importing the most expensive Dutch city bike,
    less 14% discount, less 19% VAT, would be less than that. Problem I see, looking at the one I
    imported at http://www.batavus.nl/2002/collectie/bike.asp?bikeid=408 is that even the smallest men's
    size would still be a bit big.

    You'll get the best help in a good local bike store. The one that always is listed first in the best
    of NYC surveys is www.bicyclehabitat.com.

    If you want a built in light, and don't want to go through the hassles and wait of importing, you
    won't find very many. Maybe only www.breezerbikes.com. Bicycle Habitat is a Breezer dealer.

    And then with your new bike you'll have to come join us on the monthly Critical Masses at Union
    Square. Some 1500 last month, though it won't be that much again for a while.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.